Author Topic: What's the worst recoiling gun you've ever shot?  (Read 9661 times)

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
Re: What's the worst recoiling gun you've ever shot?
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2009, 11:19:30 AM »
870 Wingmaster with 18 or 20"? Remchoke bbl shooting slugs. I've shot plenty of slugs from different guns,but that one was so smooth and light it'd let you cozy right up to the stock then give you a double slap, one on the shoulder and a better one to the side of the head. Real accurate if you could avoid punching the trigger expecting the smackdown.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline udtjim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2009, 11:42:50 AM »
A Dakota light weight Bolt gun in 416 Rem mag. I ran 19 shots over the chronograph but could not make myself pull the trigger for the 20th one I was testing. >:(

Offline ken613

« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »
I use to have an old Stevens SXS 12 ga. with 18 in. bbls.  Out putting some 3" slugs down range one day and it doubled on me.  One of those times when you literally get stunned for a few seconds.  Never shot it again after that.

Now for normal guns as far as unusually heavy recoil for the cartridge, it would, without a doubt, be my Browning Stainless Stalker in 30/06.  For some reason it kicks far worse than you would imagine.  I've got a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H and a Mossberg 3.5" 935 and I'd rather shoot either of them from the bench than to shoot that Browning.   Go figure.

Ken

Offline cheapskate

« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2009, 12:38:28 PM »
I think my brother's .338 RUM gave me the most bang for my buck!   
Life's too short, buy more guns and hope you can find ammo to shoot them!

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2009, 03:04:05 AM »
Two come imeadiately to mind.. a 378Weatherby mag in a Ruger #1 and a Weatherby MKV in 460Weatherby mag.

Makes my 3 1/2 12ga Goose/Turkey loads seem like a 243.

CW

470 nitro in a ruger #1
bernie
if its feral its in peril

Offline rmark

« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2009, 04:30:10 AM »
Moisin Nagant in 7.62x54r. I've shot several and they slap me in the face  - the stock design just doesn't work with me.

As an aside, I had an uncle who hunted ducks back before 3" 12 ga sguns were available. He bored out the charge bar on the reloader to drop a 4 dram equivalent + 1 1/4 oz load, called them a "4x4". Eventually cracked the back of the receiver and along the bolt handle opening on his Browning A5. Welded it back up and shot it until it cracked again. Many years later my dad took me dove hunting and at the end of the day his shoulder was black and blue. Some of my uncles old shells had been moved to our house sometime over the years. I remember my dad cussing and saying he thought he'd thrown all those damned "4x4's" away.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #156 on: June 02, 2009, 01:15:37 PM »
russian baikal single shot trap gun with a 31/2 federal turkey load! i just had to try this. makes my 835 with the same load feel like a 20ga
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline .375 Hawk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #157 on: June 02, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »
A light Sako 85 Hunter in 375 H&H off the bench shooting Hornady HEAVY Magnum 270gr.
The rifle was very light for a medium bore.  After eight rounds I could not press the trigger again. :-[ :o
.375 Hawk

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #158 on: June 02, 2009, 03:09:48 PM »
A 12 gauge single barrel stevens with plastic stock and forearm. My Uncle raymond trained begals in a 20 acre pen. He used it to shoot hawks. man did that thing kick. I was about 12 years old then and can still remember the kick!!!
Zacharoo

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »
He used it to shoot hawks.
Zacharoo

Why would someone shoot a hawk ???

Spanky

Offline troy5775

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2009, 04:37:44 PM »
He used it to shoot hawks.
Zacharoo

Why would someone shoot a hawk ???

Spanky

I would to keep them out of my chicken pen. Protecting livestock is about the only time you are allowed to legally.

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2009, 04:41:57 PM »
.458 Win. Mag. Ruger #1, I preffered the recoil of the Barret .50 BMG to that.

snakeman

Offline troy5775

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »
Stevens double barrel 12 ga, #4 highbrass. Accidentally hit both triggers at once.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2009, 07:15:40 PM »
I've shot many calibers used for dangerous game.  I've shot several guns using the .50BMG cartridge.  The .416 Rigby in a T/C Encore was bad.  But by far the worst one that hurt me the most was my own favorite gun, my TCR. 

I have a 12ga barrel that accepts the 3 1/2" shot shell.  I was using the 3 1/2" mag 12ga shell, with 2 1/4oz Duplex Turkey lead shot loads.  I've shot it once with those shells, never again.  I was sitting on the ground, under a big pine tree.  A Tom came out and was strutting right in front of me.  I slowly raised the gun and fired.  The heel of my thumb on my right hand flattened my nose and lip.  Blood flew all over my shirt front.  Recoil knocked me over backwards, my feet went straight up in the air.  My head hit the base of the tree and gave me a four inch gash in the back of my head.  The lick to the head either stunned me or knocked me out for a short time.  First thing I remember was my shoulder was hurting so bad I thought it was broken.  My shoulder hurt so bad I was paying no attention to my busted head.  I tried to get up and passed out I fell flat on my face. 

My Dad saw the whole thing and was on his way over when I tried to get up and passed out.  Dad did not realize I was hurt, and he and my brother were laughing.  When I fell, and Dad saw the blood and ran over.

Dad and my brother started checking me out.  At first they could not understand all the blood.   Then Dad rolled me over and took out his pocket knif and shaved away the hair on the back of my head to see how bad the cut was.  My brother went and got the truck, then they loaded me into it.  When we got to the Doctor's office I was awake and talking.  I got either 8 or 10 stitches in my head.  The Doctor was a Turkey hunter as well and asked how big the Turkey was.  That's when Dad and my brother remembered they had left the Turkey lying where it fell. 

They went back and it was gone.  Either a Coyote, Dog, or Buzzards, found it.

Those shells were in a box of 10.  The other 9 shells are still in the box.  I doubt they will ever be shot during my life time.

BTW the TCR with a .338 Win Mag barrel is still my favorite gun, nest to my 30-06 Handi.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #164 on: June 02, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »
I've shot quite a few heavy hitters.  I once fired a custom FN .458 Win Mag that was ported.  After the first shot, I thought I had chipped a tooth.  Apparently I had my jaw open, ever since I make it a point to clamp my teeth down.  A bite block probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.  I fired a British Enfield in .308 once from a sitting position up against a tree. I was much younger then and learned a valued life lesson- always leave room for the shoulder to recoil.  I smashed my shoulder up against the tree and thought I broke my clavicle.  A friend of mine had a double barreled 10ga that he named Bam Bam.  He cut the barrels down to 18" and used it for home defense.  We tried several different loads through it and found that Turkey Loads were the most stout.  He positioned his middle finger just behind the trigger guard and broke it under recoil.  I was blackened and quite swollen for a good while.  Following his lead, I decided to shoot it with a modified grip. It smarted but not like his finger.  One day we decided to pull a prank on one of my friends and loaded two different loads in the gun.  We switched it to the lower recoiling one first and he thought that wasn't too bad.  I think he relaxed a bit on the second shot and that's when he got hurt.  He was only wearing a muscle shirt and the buttplate ripped his skin cutting him open with a 1" laceration. He never did speak to me again. ??? I've had some experiences with some heavy pistols too.  Although this one wasn't necessarily painful, but I had a issue with a Desert Eagle 50 AE that I couldn't handle very well.  It would torque in my hands and eject the empties right into my forehead. That got annoying real quick. I shot a .45LC derringer with custom ivory grips made from a Que ball  that would rotate back and point at my face after every shot.  Needless to say, I stopped loading 2 rounds into it after the first time it did that.  Without a trigger guard I was worried I might pull the trigger accidentally dropping the hammer on the second round when it wasn't pointing downrange.
  I also used to shoot a snubby .44 that was factory ported to clear out spaces at the indoor range so my friends could shoot next to me.  It always worked, too.  Seems like no one else was doubling up on ear plugs and muffs. It had pretty fierce recoil with some loads we called "Smokin Joes".  Joe loaded them to the MAX.  They had a great fireball!

~Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2009, 12:50:54 PM »
Spanky  They would kill the young rabbits (and old ones) any time they had a chace. The wouldn't eat all of one if they had a lot to pick from just the brains and some insides. A real menance!
Zacharoo

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »
Tracker II on pardner frame with 1 1/4 ounces 3" slugs. Had a straight grip BC stock with metal crescent butt plate.  Left bruises for a week.  19 ounces of lead in a pistol grip stock with a real recoil pad and it is much better now (but I sure aim careful, wouldn't want to have to shoot twice :) )
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »
Killing any bird of prey in the U.S. is a crime, regardless of livestock threat.  Fine varies from $500 (Sparrowhawk) to $50,000 (Bald Eagle).

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2009, 04:47:25 PM »
If that's the case with birds of pray, I guess a lot of farmers follow the three Ss. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2009, 12:18:52 AM »
People indiscriminately shooting them is why they became endangered (no matter what Rachel Carson had too say about DDT).  Educating people about how to deal with them in a smart fashion has had far more to do with the increase in their numbers than any other action taken by the gov. or any conservation group.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2009, 01:09:10 AM »
I understand Rachel Carson and the DDT myth has been long proven to be false....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2009, 06:15:23 AM »
Im a farmer, and a Hawk bander.  Farmers who kill hawks are stupid.  They offer far more in rodent and varmint control than they do in depredation.  In 20 years, all depredation on my poultry and small livestock has been from 4 legged predators.  Never had a hawk or eagle involved.

One time, a few years back in March, a wolf killed a deer 250 yards south of my driveway.  The next morning there were two coyotes and 11 eagles on the carcass, not to mention crows and ravens.

Oh, almost forgot, worst recoil, 40mm cannon......rattled the whole aircraft.......but it removed helmets and turbans and what was under them.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2009, 06:31:25 AM »
I ived on a small ranch for a while and had chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys. Yotes took out my turkeys. The neighbors dogs took out some of my ducks. I told the neighbor about it and he said ya dogs do that, so I took out the neighbors dogs. I saw a big red tailed hawk grab one of my chickens and an owl would take something every once in a while. I just looked at it as part being out in the country.

snakeman

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2009, 07:26:45 AM »
Snakeman, I too love it here in the country......that's why I'm here.  A Red-Tailed will take poultry...no doubt about it. So will a Great Horned Owl or a Barred owl.  I just keep my poultry guarded as best I can and offer the hawks and owls a buffet of rodents.  I have a large dog that roams with the chickens during the day.  They trust him, and he keeps predators away.  Owls are no threat to my poultry, the chickens go in the hen house long before dark.  I chase large hawks off, but don't shoot them.  I have trapped, banded and released more than 3000 hawks and owls in my life, and I know where I'm coming from.  A lot of folks don't know anything about "chicken hawks".  First....there ain't no "chicken hawk"...got that??  Most hawks shot for "chicken hawks" are Northern Harriers, Broadwings, Red Shouldereds and Rough-legged Hawks.........none of which have the equipment to kill a chicken or duck.
The Red-tailed, Harris's, Krieder's, Harlan's, etc, can be called "chicken Hawks",  They are not instinctively inclined, but they have the armorment to do the job.

I'm not a liberal tree hugger.  I'm just trying to put some sanity where it belongs.  If you use a little common sense and judgement, you can cut wildlife predation........I would hope so.......we're supposed to be a lot smarter than the critters.  My big dog is buddies with the chickens.  He'd kill anything that came after them.

I have a pair of Northern Harriers, Marsh Hawks, that nest here every year.  I shoot starlings with a .22 so the bullet passes through and there's no lead involved.  I toss them out on the field, in seconds after the shot, the Hawk is there, knowing his treat is ready.  They give me a "thank you" chirp chirp and they're gone.

Windy again, Sorry.

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »
i understand about the farm thing.... cause i grew up on a 7500 acre one with livestock
of all aspects.......... but,,,,
what if you had a minature jack-russel puppy of about 12-15 weeks old. and let him out to do his business.
while watching him right at the foot of the 16 rung stairs, a hawk grabbed him and sliced his throat
killing him instantly... and trying to fly off with him..
just so happens at the time my dad had a 16ga stevens 77b pump just inside the front door...
that he would take when he was in the combine for rattlesnakes.
and guess what....the third time that SOB tried to take him away... i took him out!!!!!!!!!
with no hard feelings....... that was my puppy. my grandfather gave him to me and at that time i was 11......yes i was just a kid----but i'll never forget what a hawk can do.
i still have the farm and the 77b, her name is jack. that was a long time ago!!!!!!!!   seems like yesturday
since y'all have givin me a flash-back of about 49 years

some-things ya just gotta do!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »
I'd a done the same thing.  Ya gotta protect whats yours.....period.  I told Michigan DNR that years ago.  "If wolves come after my livestock, I'm shooting first and I'll call you later.  My livestock, my responsibility." 

I'm sorry, forgot a major northern "chicken Hawk"  the Goshawk, deadly indeed.

Michigan has a whole bunch of predator laws including, fox, raccoon, coyote, bobcat, skunk, wolf, and anything else you can name......I never bother to look to see whats open......you make a jump on my critters and it's open season.  Don't care if it's July or January.  Bang...you're dead.  I don't hunt or trap for fur.  All I do is defend my livestock.  If someone has an issue with that, my hands are extended for the cuffs, and we are on our way to the Supreme Court.

Pete

Offline .375 Hawk

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2009, 08:21:56 AM »
I'd a done the same thing.  Ya gotta protect whats yours.....period. 

Pete

Very well stated Pete!  I am not a big hunter but any predator/ varmint, coyote, fox raccoon, fisher is fair game on my property.  Up until buying the .45 classic carbine my goto gun was a cooper bolt in .20 VarTarg.  This cartridge is deathray for the predators!  Also we have lots of porcupines and 2 labs. For the quill dogs we use a Ruger MK III 22LR with crimson trace laser grips. I have found it much easier than iron sights in the dark. ;D

Eddie

Offline Natty Bumppo

« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2009, 09:45:50 AM »
155mm howitzer.  rocks the front road wheels of a 15 ton vehicle off the ground.  loud, too.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2009, 11:16:08 AM »
My remington 742  is only a 30-06 but it's so light it kicks like a mule.

Worse than that would be my 12 guage with slugs.

But the worst I think is my 7mm rum.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline db22

• Contributor
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2009, 12:55:19 PM »
I agree with all those who've been punched out by their 12-gauge Pardners.  I bobbed an old Pardner barrel to 25" and added open sights.  The resulting slugger handled like a feather, but kicked hard enough to knock some sense into me (well, almost).  I have touched off top-of-the-load-table 250-grain .338 Winchester loads, and they were perfectly tolerable compared to a 2-3/4" 1-ounce slug load in a cut-down Pardner.

The Pardner barrel is still on the rack.  Maybe by this fall I will have forgotten what it feels like to shoot it.  No one ever accused me of having too much common sense. . .
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams