Author Topic: What's the worst recoiling gun you've ever shot?  (Read 9692 times)

Offline sooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What's the worst recoiling gun you've ever shot?
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2009, 01:36:33 PM »
The 600NE shooting a 900gr bullet has 110lbs recoil. :o

Tim

OUCH!!! What else would come close to that Tim?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2009, 01:46:34 PM »
500 A-Square at 105lbs in a 14½lb rifle,  recoil is dependent on the load and rifle weight as well as velocity, if you know the rifle weight, powder weight, bullet weight and velocity, you can plug em into this calculator.

Tim

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2009, 04:51:01 PM »
A light 460 Weatherby with no brake.

Or just try my 45-120 from prone.

Offline Uncle Ji

• Avid Poster
  • ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM EST
    • Hawaiian Style
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2009, 01:58:20 AM »
Nothing too objectionable.  One a 454 Raging Bull Taurus but it wasn't that bad.  Two my Winchester 1300 Featherweight (6-3/8 lb.) with rifled barrel shooting 3" 1-3/8 oz. Brenneke slugs, noticable but not that bad.  My 45/70 I load to get the job done 400 grains at 1400 fps so really a big pussycat. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2009, 03:07:45 AM »
A light 460 Weatherby with no brake.

Or just try my 45-120 from prone.

IMHO, ANYTHING with over 50-60lbs recoil, firing from a prone is going to cause the biggest, toughest among us to wince!!  ;D Start approaching 100lbs and your freakin' nuts or WANT to break your shoulder!!!
    Those big calibers NEED to be fired from the standing position. If you notice from that Lil video Tim posted. Of the experienced shooters, the little lanky guys or the REALLY big strong, heavily built guys do best with recoil. The little guys roll with it and the big guys just over power it. The average big guy, generally take the brunt of the pounding.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2009, 03:11:58 AM »
My Mossberg 500 12 guage with either a 2oz turkey load/or 1.25 buckhammer slug, with 20 inch barrel from a bench this is about the maximum amount of punishment I would care to experience.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2009, 06:55:00 AM »
Master,
If your ever in northern CA I'll let you shoot the 2 oz loads out of my 10ga.  Was trying out some of my first reloads at the trap field.  It was three of us behind the 30 yard mark.  As fast as I could get the 9 pound side by side gun down, open it, pull the old hull out and insert a new one it was my turn again.  On the 13th round my fingers in my right hand went numb.  Think my brain was numb to begin with. 8)

Offline rimfire

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2009, 07:57:09 AM »
I grew up in slug and buckshot country for deer.  Between that and heavy turkey loads I learned to hate recoil.

I am a firm believer in aftermarket recoil pads and longer LOP that standard, as well as additional padding at the bench.  The easiest way at the bench I have found is simply to fold up a towel and put it between shoulder and buttstock.  It spreads the recoil and makes a BIG difference.

More importantly, I count on shot placement...not power...for success. 

2oz lead loads in a pump 12G are awful in my opinion.  No one shoots that very many times without developing a flinch.  No one.  Have proven that to several tough guys over the years.

Finally, I will tell you that the worst was a Winchester 120 Ranger pump 12 with a slug barrel and Tasco scope.  Was twisted around a tree to shoot in the woods one time and ended up damaging the bone in my nose with that scope.  Anything bumping my nose will bring tears to my eyes since that shot.  My first criteria for any and every gun now is adequate scope eye relief.

Go ahead.  Make fun.  I will continue being a wimp.
Be honest with yourself.  Can you guarantee you would hit a paper plate at 250 yards...100 yards...50 yards?  Then you have no business replacing the plate with a live animal.

Offline rimfire

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2009, 07:59:52 AM »
Oh yeah...my most powerful rifle now is a .308.  My favorite shotgun is a .410...yes a .410. 

If you check my gun collection every 5 years the average power level in rifles, shotguns and handguns has trended down constantly...and my shooting skill and hunting success has steadily increased.
Be honest with yourself.  Can you guarantee you would hit a paper plate at 250 yards...100 yards...50 yards?  Then you have no business replacing the plate with a live animal.

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »
.410 is at it's best for skeet, I pull for lots of people, and those who really know what they're doing shoot mostly 28 gauge and .410

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2009, 01:43:20 AM »
.410 is at it's best for skeet, I pull for lots of people, and those who really know what they're doing shoot mostly 28 gauge and .410

I don't know if they ALL "really know what they are doing" so much.  ;D ;) But I guaranty that portion THINKS that they know what they are doing. LOL But you are correct the 410 on the skeet field is a experts game. Using the 28, I think it makes it easier!!

One thing is for certain, overall more perfect scores have been shot with a 28Ga than any other. More first time perfect scores have come with the 28Ga than any other as well!!  ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dead doc

« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2009, 05:34:22 AM »
Worst experience  ever was with a  H&R  first model   10 Ga 3.5 in mag back in the early 80s 
 Right now I have a custom older  158 12 Guage 3in  tha has been cut down to  18 in barrel and then had choke tubes in stalled  it weighs  LESS than 4 pounds  and is  very handy to carry and  move around in the woods.   BUT it is a true BEAST to fire withheavy loads  even with newly installed  recoil pad

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2009, 04:56:11 PM »
Don't think it was the worst recoil I have experienced but definitely the most uncomfortable and seemingly punishable is the 500 S&W in a Handi.  Shot about 20 rounds through a new one from the bench (in t-shirt weather) with factory ammo while sighting in a bud's new rifle.  Then found out he had not cleaned the barrel is why it was shooting shotgun patterns.  A good cleaning and a few more rounds we were good to go.  My shoulder was still sore a week later.     
NRA Life Member

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2009, 11:00:14 PM »
Short barrel H&R turkey special, fixed full choke with the sissy weight removed,  3-1/2" 00 Buck.
Fun but always have to get my glasses back down off my forehead, and i'm well over 200 pounds!

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2009, 12:59:59 AM »
Don't really think it was the absolute worst but pretty rough.
An old H&R 162 12 ga. smoothbore w/rifle sights was my first deer gun.
Shot 5 boxes of Federal 1 1/4 oz. Super Slugs first day with it from my home made portable bench. 
All those 'fire plugs' out of that lightweight and from a low bench, WHEW!
Sure taught me to snug that buttstock to my shoulder I'll tell ya'.
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline kennyd

• A Real Regular
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
3 1/2 inch 12 gage handi with 2 oz.  Don't know if I can make myself shoot that again.  As for actual damage, the same frame with 45-70 400 gr. at 1600.  That turned my arm black & blue all the way to my elbow.  I shot something like 20 rounds, didn't know I had broken a vein until later, or I would have quit.  For a while I thought I had crippled myself for good.  A surprise was a .300 Savage 99 with steel butt.  It comes back real straight, so was more than I expected.  Shot a .416 double gun at the range once, it seemed to push.  Watching some of those elephant loads, I think I would hope the elephant put me out of my misery.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline Hickok

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »
3 1/2" 10 gauge Browning. You couldn't give me one of those shotguns. The guy who owned it used it for turkey hunting. Why you need a gun that kicks like a .458 Mag elephant rifle to kill a bird with a brain the size of a walnut is a mystery to me.
Montani Semper Liberi  ><>

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »
looking through 4 pages of replies about numerous recoil beasts, it seems like there is a common shoulder maiming long gun out there........the 12 g Handi with 3 1/2"  2 ounce loads.    I know mine is a killer....on both ends.
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline mtbadger

« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2009, 07:24:22 PM »
Wished I would have looked here before I traded for a 500S&W Handi.....

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2009, 07:48:47 PM »
My tracker2 12ga shooting Winchester supreme partition gold 385grn saboted bullets at 1900fps. One shot I took without holding the gun quite right made me black&blue from my neck to my elbow. I have a recoil pad on it now.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2009, 01:48:31 AM »
Wished I would have looked here before I traded for a 500S&W Handi.....

WELCOME aboard!!

Throw a Limbsaver pad on that 500 and if you still need more throw some lead shot in the butt. Also if you handload, you can make loads to suit. The 500 CAN be a stout recoiling handi, but with proper loads and a good pad. its entirely fun shooting.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline jls

• Avid Poster
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2009, 05:38:33 AM »
ruger#1 rebarreled for 505 Gibbs. Took a shot at a coyote, missed the coyote, chickens went off their feed for a week, finally got some feeling back in the right shoulder, cow is finally giving milk again.  ;D
Deceased due to a 3rd stroke on Dec. 12, 2011.

RIP John.

Offline Warthog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2009, 07:56:11 AM »
Well I've shot quite a few of the heftier loads and I've even done the "ramrod in the Omega"  :-[ trick.  But to show how recoil is in the shoulder of the beholder, the absolutely most uncomfortable thing I've ever shot was a Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in 7MM-08.  I don't know what it was about that gun, but it almost brought me to tears to shoot it.  It also went down the road very quickly.
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »
"Recoil is in the shoulder of the beholder"

What a line!!  GREAT, I love it!! LOL....  :D :D :D :D

So VERY TRUE!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline mtbadger

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2009, 09:46:38 AM »
Thanks for the tips CW.  I will definitely shoot it but we will see if it needs anything.  I am just getting into reloading so I will try to figure out some reduced loads for plinking...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2009, 10:27:44 AM »
Thanks for the tips CW.  I will definitely shoot it but we will see if it needs anything.  I am just getting into reloading so I will try to figure out some reduced loads for plinking...

Quite happy to help!!

Once you get going, post up and there are a number of us here who like and shoot this 500 Handi. We are always willing to lend a hand... ;D

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2009, 03:16:44 AM »
Not nessisarily the worst recoiling gun I've shot, but I don't understand why the Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54r feel so much harsher than other rifles in 30-06 or .308.  The Russian is balisticly right about in between the 308 and 30-06, but damn it kicks hard.  I shot off 80 rounds not too long ago and my shoulder wasn't amused.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2009, 03:57:59 AM »
I tamed my Nagant with a slip-on recoil pad.  That's helped a lot.  But with that steel butt plate that think kicked like a mule!  Mine is lovingly referred to as "The Russian Hammer."  I still like taking the recoil pad off and letting the burlier members of my family and friends shoot it....then immediately hand it back to me after one shot.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »
"Recoil is in the shoulder of the beholder"  I just love it.  Thank You!!  Thinking about it, my worst were 20mm Navy aircraft canons, they shook the plane, but I didn't have to hang on to them ;)  We did gunnery hops over the ocean with a destroyer towing a spar (like a power pole) about 1000 feet aft.  You were supposed to hit just aft of it and not kill it. Everyone behaved until the end, and the last guy would usually dive down and blow it to splinters.  We caught some flak from the upper brass for those stunts. 

We'd fly from Jacksonville to Myrtle Beach in a T-28 (we called it the "Play Plane") and go upside down at 100 feet and wave at the cuties on the beaches.  I don't think the modern Navy would think well of that.  The good old days are gone forever :'(  Today all of this kind of fun would bring Magnum Recoil.  The world has lost its sense of humor.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »
I already mentioned my 16 gauge O/U with the badly/poorly fitting stock and my bruised cheekbone. Having been retired from my "real" job a few years now I had almost forgotten a real uncomfortable experience, that of training, qualifying and requalifying every year with a short barrelled Remington Model 870 with many different forms of ammo. The bad, THE WORST, was about 12-20 rounds per session with slugs from the prone position. Standing and kneeling were nothing, prone was terrible, and each shot got worse....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley