Author Topic: The best 9mm ammo  (Read 2268 times)

Offline DLH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
The best 9mm ammo
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:41:05 PM »
 I just bought a 9mm Kel-Tec P11.
 What ammo do you think would have the best performance in a defensive stiuation? and what grain wt.

I have been carring a 45acp, but have NO experince with a 9mm.

Thanks
Live every day like it was your last, cause someday it will be!!!

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Re: The best 9mm ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »
My reloads using Speer 115gr. "Gold Dot" hp's ;D........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:55:36 AM »
Couple different schools of thought...

There are all the "boutique" frangible loads out there like Glaser "safety slugs", DRT, Powr ball, etc...  Take them for what they're worth.  The hype that the makers try to generate tell me that they're not everything that the maker claims.  I would think that if they were that great, they're actual performance would tell the tale.  As it is, no law enforcement or security agency uses any of these rounds.

From there you go to the conventional hollow point ammo.  Every big name ammo maker out there makes good hollow points.  Pretty much al of them have a following in law enforcement and security.  The have a track record of documented real world performance.  Federal Hydra-Shok and Speer Gold Dot are the issued ammo for a lot of different agencies.  The ones I have first-hand knowledge of are LVMPD and USAF Space Command (the guys that guard nukes).  Both use Gold Dot.  Last I heard, the FBI and ATF use Hydra Shok (albeit in .40 not 9).  I have Gold Dot, Hydra Shok and Golden Sabre loaded in my various 9s around the house.

The final option is the new Federal EFMJ.  Basically it is an expanding FMJ round.  It feeds reliably because it is still an FMJ round.  It does however reliably expand, unlike normal FMJ ammo.  This round was developed for the military and is designed to have the effectiveness of expanding ammo while retaining all of its weight (won't fracture or fragment) and meet the intent of the Geneva Convention ban on hollow points.  This is new stuff and is just becoming available to non-military users so there isn't the track record out there yet, but being military ammo it's here to stay and as the reports from combat use come in, we'll see what the final verdict it.

Like I said, at the present, my vote is with the established conventional hollow-points.  You really can't go wrong with any of them.  As far as which is right for you, get a box of the likely candidates and see which feeds well in your gun.  The best terminal performing bullet in the world is useless if it won't function in the gun.  As to bullet weight, in a light gun, lighter bullets will be easier to control.  A 115 gn bullet that hits (or two or more that do so) are infinitely more effective than a 147gn that doesn't.  At close range the difference in terminal performance isn't enough to make a difference either way.

Offline Westbound

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:31:37 AM »
If your P11 is like mine, it won't care for the heavier bullets.
Mine eats up 115 and 124 grain bullets, but it has a hard time cylcing the 147 grain offerings.  I've been told that these guns "wear in" and will get better about cycling heavier stuff, but in the meantime, I'm running 115 gr. in mine, because as said...  the 115gr that hits is much better than the 147 gr that doesn't.

Offline DLH

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
I bought some Hornady 115 "CRITICAL DEFENSE"

I Will try them before I carry them. :-\
Live every day like it was your last, cause someday it will be!!!

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »
I agree with one of the writers the speer gold dot has good penetration and expansion. I use the 124 gr. loads

Offline federali

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »
I plan to acquire some Federal EFMJ as I agree that first and foremost, reliable feeding is more important than reliable expansion. Some of the earlier 9mms like the P-38 or the Browning HP, were designed around ball rounds and often need a bit of work to achieve reliability with JHPs. I'm old enough to remember when the "chopped and channeled" craze started with the end result that once reliable 9mms and .45 autos (no 40s  357 SIGs or .45 GAPS then) could no longer feed. It was growing pains. I have a G26 that's about 12 years old and has never once hiccupped.

The Keltec has had an interesting history with users swearing by them or at them about equally divided. My only experience with Keltec was with a P-32, which I sold and swore I'd never own a Keltec again. I think that they're good guns but perhaps a bit more picky on what it wants to be fed. You have already identified that your gun doesn't like heavy bullets. Right now, the NYPD is using 124 grain Speer Gold-Dot after much ammo testing. But, they found that this hot round causes problems in certain Kahr handguns, a gun generally accepted as a high-quality gun. The point is, you would need to test fire various rounds to find what your gun likes best.

The Federal round is also attractive in areas like New Jersey where JHPs are legal for home defense but not for general carry (I could be wrong on this). The high-tech round has yet to be made in which one-shot stops are guaranteed or double your money back. Study police shootings and you'll find bad guys absorbing two dozen JHPs and still fighting while another bad guy falls stone dead to an FMJ.

Early JHPs certainly had problems but I think that most any current production JHPs, especially if carried by major law enforcement agencies, would do just fine for defense.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »
  i have that critical defence rnd.. is  sure makes a fuss.
 the 158 grn semi wadcutter still out penetrates it in 2bys
 but whos to say in a body hit.. the whole key for me was look hard at the body ,summer an winter.. where is the most damage gonna be
done by your rnd..i know what im gonna try to hit if im in a position to choose .. slim

Offline Arier Blut

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 08:02:45 PM »

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 04:05:48 PM »
Right now I would say that the best 9mm ammo is the kind you can find to buy.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 04:35:16 PM »
I have been carrying a P11 for a bunch of years and after a bunch of testing and research(GoldenLoki etc) I have been carrying CorBon 115 grain HP. They are controllable out of the P11 and expand well.  Out of my P11 they average@ 1250fps.ymmv  .   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Westbound

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 02:19:07 PM »
I just wanted to update my original statement on my P11.
I'm now carrying 124gr Hornady TAP.  This stuff moves through the gun like a dream.  I haven't done any expansion tests, but Hornady seems confident on that aspect.

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »
Speer 124+p gold dot for short barrels assuming your gun feeds it fine and it's accurate

Offline JayAK

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 09:03:05 PM »
my G26 likes the +p 124gr HST