Author Topic: 44 mag 165 gr JHP loads  (Read 709 times)

Offline rpharder

• Trade Count: (6)
44 mag 165 gr JHP loads
« on: February 09, 2009, 06:46:46 AM »
Does anyone have sugestions for load data for a 44 mag 165gr JHP .429 dia.?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: 44 mag 165 gr JHP loads
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 01:04:38 PM »
Thats kind of a loaded ?? Yes there was a pun intended  ;D

What are you looking for ? a plunking load , Personal Defence load , hunting load or some were in between ? Also what powders do you have to work with ?

This would help us find what your looking for .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »
Does anyone have sugestions for load data for a 44 mag 165gr JHP .429 dia.?

Who makes that bullet? I have never herd of it.

Data for the Hornady 265 SP is in most manuels and as long as you start lo and watch OAL, that data could be used. You gust dont want to seat it deeper than the SP 265 and pressures shoulc be really close.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rpharder

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 02:21:31 AM »
I picked up a bunch of reloading items years ago and just got around to load some of these. I don't know the brand. I checked all of my reloading manuals and could not find any loads for them. The closest that I came was a 165 cast .430. Do you think that would be a good starting point?  Hoping that someone might have loading data or experience with this bullet that would give me a starting point.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:52:55 AM »
PLEASE NO, don't do that!!! 

Never substitute data from another bullet just on weight alone!! With some common sense, and experience doing so can be fine, but you need to be aware of potential problems. For center fire rifle bullets, the differences between a Speer 180 BTSP and a Sierra 180 BTSP is zero. BUT there difference from a Barnes 180 BTX bullet is immense!!  Your example of substituting lead bullet data from jacketed is also a big no-no. substituting pistol bullet data is a bit different as the amount of bullet inside the case is directly taking away from powder cap where the ave bottle neck rifle has a neck for the bullet. its not directly removing powder cap. You need to look at the amount of bullet seated in the case AND its weight and its legnth and its construction.

With out knowing or at least seeing that bullet as it compairs to the 265Hornady SP. I would hesitate substituting the Hornady data, but that is the closest I can think of from here.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.