Author Topic: What Gun Case for Airline Travel?  (Read 968 times)

Offline elkstalkr

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Avid Poster
What Gun Case for Airline Travel?
« on: February 10, 2009, 06:21:14 AM »
Ok, headed to Florida for a spring hunt, and having issues finding a gun case that conforms to the airlines RIDICULIOUS size limits. 

Last night on the phone Delta told me that my case had to be under 62 linear inches (height+width+length=total) or I would be charged $175 for oversized baggage!!!!

So far I have only found 1 plastic gun case that meets this requirement and have found NO metal sided gun cases that meet this requirement.  62 inches to me seems absurd, especially when they allow fishing pole cases to reach 80 linear inches.

Anyway, does anybody have any experience with this, advice, or suggestions?  This is the first time I have ever flown with firearms.

Offline dukkillr

• Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
Re: What Gun Case for Airline Travel?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:19:23 AM »
On my caribou trip last August one of the guys in our group brought a back-up rifle (we all had bows).  He went out and looked at the biggest double bow cases on the market.  He measured them all and discovered that he could get his Ruger #1 .270 inside the SKB case along with his bow.  Didn't charge him extra although he did have a much harder time going through the airport in montreal.

I like SKB.  I had one for several years and it had something fall on it and crack.  I called the company and they said it had a lifetime warranty so I sent it to them and the replaced it, no charge. 

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 12:58:30 AM »
I have a number of suggestions:

1.  There is also an exemption for golf equipment.  Take a golf club or two in an SKB case (an EXCELLENT case by the way) and pack your gun in it as well.

2.  Try a different airline.

3.  Use a handgun and pack it in a lockable hard side suitcase along with your other stuff.

4.  Take a firearm(s) that can be broken down into shorter pieces like many shotguns, Encores, Contenders & Blasers and pack them in a lockable hardsided suitcase.

5.  By all means, write a letter to the airline's customer service department and bitch a bit.  What airlines understand the best is loss of business.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 04:02:40 PM »
I've got two cases that will hold two rifles each, but if I'm just flying with one rifle, the Koplin case I bought for my ATV is the best of all.  It is shaped like a scabbard with a tight fitting, lockable lid.  Great support for all sides and compact to carry as well.  I don't use it on the 4-wheeler anymore but love it for travel.