Author Topic: Judges order California prisoners free  (Read 552 times)

Offline Sheila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Judges order California prisoners free
« on: February 10, 2009, 01:53:30 PM »
A special panel of federal judges tentavtively ruled Monday that California must release ten of thousands of inmates to relieve overcrowding.
   The judges said not other solutions will improve conditions so poor that inmates die regularly of suicides, or lack of proper care.
   Dosn't anybody in that state have a brain?
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Judges order California prisoners free
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
Uh, No! They don't have one. Brain that is.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:21:12 PM »
Sure, there are some people in the Peoples Republic of Cal-i-fornia that are quite intelligent.  Unfortunately, there are more who seem to have bizzaro type thinking and they run the place.  You know the old saying.....what ain't fruits or nuts are flakes.....
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 02:22:18 PM »
There broke an they want are guns. I don't think so.  :(

Offline hillbill

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:31:07 PM »
surely someone in cal has a brain, but maybe they are all using the same one.is it possible several strategically placed charges along the San Andreas fault would slip them off in the ocean?

Offline zombiewolf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »
 http://www.examiner.com/x-536-Civil-Liberties-Examiner~y2009m2d10-California-needs-to-release-prisoners-heres-a-good-place-to-start
February 10, 11:59 AM
by J.D. Tuccille, Civil Liberties Examiner
« Previous
San Quentin
California prisons like San Quentin hold twice as
many inmates as they were designed to accommodate.
California has to release up to 58,000 inmates, or roughly 40% of the total prison population, says a three-judge panel convened to deal with the state's massively overcrowded prisons. That's not really that much of a shocker -- the state is currently jamming its holding pens full of human bodies at roughly 200% of capacity, with the inhumane conditions you'd expect as a result. But who to release? The obvious answer, it would seem, is to start with California's sizable population of people who shouldn't be behind bars at all: those convicted of consensual "crimes" such as drug offenses.

According to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation's most recent annual report on prisoners and parolees, the state's total prison population stood at 170,129 at the end of 2007. (The numbers are a bit different in the most recent, but less-detailed, quarterly report, but this is close enough.) The prisons are actually designed to hold about 85,000 prisoners. The results of stuffing 170,000 men and women into spaces intended for half as many sparked a lawsuit by the Prison Law Office, a non-profit law-firm that protects prisoners' rights. Resolving the situation doesn't have to be that painful -- and may even offer an opportunity.

An opportunity? You bet.

Of those 170,129 inmates, 33,738 people, or 19.8%, were imprisoned for drug crimes. The largest proportion of those inmates -- 13,456 -- were serving time for simple possession. But really, none of these people should suffer legal penalty simply for using or trading in officially disapproved intoxicants with other willing adults. If California is serious about alleviating its prison overcrowding problem and leaving some room for real criminals, returning this one-fifth of the inmate population to freedom is a good place to start.

Where else to go from there?

Well, 6,530 people, or 3.8% of the prison population, were behind bars at the end of 2007 for simple possession of a weapon. Given California's increasingly draconian laws, that's all too easy a "crime" to commit without actually doing anything wrong. Turn them loose, too, unless they face other charges for crimes against people or property.

Inmates convicted of prostitution and gambling are probably classified among those prisoners held for "other sex offenses" (2,776) and "other offenses" (3,903). Let them go. And tell them to have fun, while they're at it.

Do that and you've already released more than half of the required inmates without setting free a single murderer, rapist or burglar, without tinkering with sentences, and without building another prison. By letting loose inmates who never did anything wrong, California could start to alleviate its prison overcrowding problems even as it creates a more-free society, without breaking a sweat.

The effort would even save money -- a matter which might be of interest just about now.

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »
i work in a prison and i can tell you one thing about this. you don't have much to worry about because most will be locked up within a month anyway. then what will they do????

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
surely someone in cal has a brain, but maybe they are all using the same one.is it possible several strategically placed charges along the San Andreas fault would slip them off in the ocean?

Could we also get a few charges set up on the other coast too?

Zombie, while your little cut and paste makes it sound so innocent and nice on why these poor felons were held on "simple" drug charges,it only tells a tiny portion of the whole story. None I mean absolutely none of these "good" citizens is in there for their first, or even second offence. These people are the dregs of society, they are being held because they do not belong in civilisation. All of them are habitual offenders, they are not the simple teenagers partying and smoking a joint, they are addicts that will do anything to feed their habit. In fact I am willing to bet every last one of them has committed many many felonies to support there habit. Now for legalization, when legalised, who is going to supply these drugs for the addicts? I think no one could be stupid enough to think that they are going to become model citizens and work hard to pay for there addiction. No they are going to keep being the scum they are and steal and scam to get their fix.

These people are not your simple weekend partiers looking to drugs for a simple release, they are hardcore addicts and will do anything to get their fix.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 03:07:21 PM »
HEY JUDGE, my house is too small and the t.v. aint up to date and i dont have a pool or a gym. Make the state buy me a new one.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 03:45:28 PM »

Could we also get a few charges set up on the other coast too?

Zombie, while your little cut and paste makes it sound so innocent and nice on why these poor felons were held on "simple" drug charges,it only tells a tiny portion of the whole story. None I mean absolutely none of these "good" citizens is in there for their first, or even second offence. These people are the dregs of society, they are being held because they do not belong in civilisation. All of them are habitual offenders, they are not the simple teenagers partying and smoking a joint, they are addicts that will do anything to feed their habit. In fact I am willing to bet every last one of them has committed many many felonies to support there habit. Now for legalization, when legalised, who is going to supply these drugs for the addicts? I think no one could be stupid enough to think that they are going to become model citizens and work hard to pay for there addiction. No they are going to keep being the scum they are and steal and scam to get their fix.

These people are not your simple weekend partiers looking to drugs for a simple release, they are hardcore addicts and will do anything to get their fix.
Billy I happen to agree. When they turn these criminals loose CA'S crime rate will reach an all time high. These people will go back to what they know how to do and that is rob,steal and sell more drugs. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 03:50:02 PM »
I just hope the rest of the country dosn't  make a stupid desision like this. Who knows, with that crackhead in the White House, it just might happen, because he wants to give voting rights to criminals.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 04:00:55 PM »
I just hope the rest of the country dosn't  make a stupid desision like this. Who knows, with that crackhead in the White House, it just might happen, because he wants to give voting rights to criminals.

Crackhead? Sheila did you watch the same youtube video I did? Some Larry Sinclair guy says him and BO went on a limo drive, BO smoked crack and he snorted coke, then him and BO had a little love session.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »
ENOUGH. Some of you seem to have forgotten this is a family oriented site or maybe you just are wondering if I know how to use the BANNED FROM THIS SITE BUTTON.

HINT: I use it daily so yes I do as some of you are about to find out if this BS starts back up again. If you have a post missing consider it aimed directly at YOU!

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!