Author Topic: need a accurate load for 44mag handi with scope  (Read 756 times)

Offline savage308

• Trade Count: (1)
need a accurate load for 44mag handi with scope
« on: February 11, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »
i have tried several loads and cant get consistant accuracy and am willing to try a different load. my current load is 20.0 h4227,WLR,win brass,Barrys 240 SWC.any suggestions?

Offline remfan

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: need a accurate load for 44mag handi with scope
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:02:09 PM »
i am working on a load with my homecast   310 WLFN lee mold in lyman#2 alloy and home-made bullet lube   as the weather breaks here i will let ya know what i find :o

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 06:00:25 AM »
i have tried several loads and cant get consistant accuracy and am willing to try a different load. my current load is 20.0 h4227,WLR,win brass,Barrys 240 SWC.any suggestions?

Have you slugged the bore? Anything made before 2007 will be overbore and require .432" cast bullets, the slow 1:38" twist isn't conducive to accuracy with heavier bullets either. There's tons of info on loading for the 44mag Handi in the H&R Centerfire Rifle forum including how to slug it.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:45:38 AM »
If you have one of the 'old barrel" 44s I will just have to wish you a lot of luck.  I never could get mine to shoot anything well and I know I tried over 50 different combination of powder and bullets.  I sold that barrel and got one of the new barrels that shoots any of the Hornady XTP bullets over a full load of H110 well and will also do well with 180 gr OT cast bullets over load of Trail Boss.

RJ

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:36:29 AM »
While that load is "classic" for a revolver it is too fast velocity wise for a PB cast bullet (especially a PB beveled cast bullet).  Suggest you 8-10 gr of Unique working up in 1/2 gr increments.  Other suggestion for a top end load in your rifle is to get a GC'd cast bullet. Then you can load to the max for a .44 magnum.

Larry Gibson

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:09:07 PM »
Recent testing with cast bullets shows me that top or full power loads work best in my 2007 Handi in 44 magnum. If you cast the bullet, leave it unsized, dip lube it and push it to top velocities it won't lead the barrel. Well it didn't lead mine which are cast from wheelwights and dropped from the mold into a 5 gallon bucket of water.  My cast bullet is a Keith semi wadcutter without a gas check.  This all said I am looking into getting a 300 grain mold to test with this rifle.  If you push your bullets too slow they won't stabilize in the 1 in 38 twist. I think too slow might be under 1400 fps.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 05:15:16 AM »
Remfan, are you going to run the LEE 310 grain bullet without a gas check?  I am looking for a mold that will shoot well without a gascheck but has the option if I want to use them.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.