Author Topic: Problem with resizeing, Hope someone can help  (Read 527 times)

Offline spaaz

• Trade Count: (0)
Problem with resizeing, Hope someone can help
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:34:49 AM »
Hope someone can help me!!!!!   I have several pieces of brass in 22-250 and 7mm-08 that have shot in my Thompson Center Pistols.

I just got both calibers in a rifle, but when I re size and reload them, they will chamber in my rifles but the bolt won't close.

I even tried loading just a blank (unloaded) one or two in the rifles and still the bolt won't close???!!!   Do I need to do something special with the brass after shooting them in my single shot pistol.....Am I doing something wrong?   Am I just a big dummy?

Does single shot pistols "fire form" brass different that if you were using it in a rifle?

I tried raising the dies up more and down less, but that didn't help......I have several (200 or more rounds of each) of these two calibers of brass, I hate to just have to not use them. (I traded all my TC stuff for the rifles)...........HELP What am I doing wrong?   

Thanks for the help.........

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Problem with resizeing, Hope someone can help
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »
spaaz

First thing that I would check is the overall length and sholder placement of the brass , with the single shots like TC & H&R you will get cases that tend to grow longer because of the frame flex , also take a empty case after you FL size it and smoke the neck & sholder area to see were your not getting enough room in the chamber .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »
Yeah......what he said.

First...are you trimming your brass after you size?

Second.....your chamber in your old T\C may have been a bit longer than your new bolt action. So, your brass has "grown" a bit and needs to be "bumped" back. This can be accomplished by adjusting your full length sizing die to the proper depth. (Right now my guess is if your brass length is correct, then the brass shoulder is not being set back enough). So, you need to go back to square one on your die adjustment.

Most F\L dies say to screw the die all the way down until it touches the ram, then screw it down another 1\2 turn. You didn't mention the brand of dies you were using, but that may be a place (die adjustment) to start.

Dave

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
Hey spaaz, are you using full length sizing dies or neck sizing dies?

If you have full length sizing dies screw the die into the press with the ram all the way up and the shell holder in place. When the die makes contact with the shell holder lower the ram and turn the die on down another 1/4 to 1/2 turn and lock it down. I'd be willing to bet that your brass will easily chamber after you do this.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Dave posted while I was typing and he's right on the money! I'm a slow typer!

Offline spaaz

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:29:50 AM »
BY GOLLY IT WORKED!!!!!!!!............Thank You So Much, You save me a lot of money not buying new brass!!!!!!!!

I knew if anybody could help it would be you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Again, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Glad WE could help , thats what we're here for .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 11:35:47 AM »
Afternoon shooters,

If you are having issues with brass not fitting one chamber after being fired in another, sounds like you need to keep your brass separated by firearm

And very possibly need a sizing die for each firearm OR be will to adjust the die for the specific gun.

If you continue to use the brass for both guns, but are sizing for the smaller of the two, you will very soon start to have head separations.

That will mean new brass, period.

So avoid the problem and keep the brass separated as per gun and also the amount of sizing.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »
Glad WE could help , thats what we're here for .  ;)

stimpy

Actually....I think Stimpy had it nailed. The rest of us just jumped on the band wagon so we could look good.  ;D

And by-golly...it worked!!

Dave

Offline Catfish

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »
Dave, DON`T SAY THINGS LIKE THAT. Now he`ll get the big head.  :o

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 12:44:13 AM »
Catfish......rumor is....that's not a real hardhat in the pic....it's actually painted on his shaven head after compliments he's received from this very forum!!! :D ;)

But...you know.....that's just what "fly's" around in the PM's.

Dave