Author Topic: Replacement windows for the home?  (Read 430 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Replacement windows for the home?
« on: February 12, 2009, 04:00:40 AM »
Our windows are deteriorating inside and the frames outside are rotting. We need to replace them. The options for good windows seem pretty darned expensive. Can you recommend any good approaches to selecting and replacing windows? I really don't want to spend $600 or $700 for the fancy ones, but I can't afford to buy junk either.

Are they any particlular types of contractors I should be seeking out or avoiding?

Thanks in advance for the insight.
Safety first

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Replacement windows for the home?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 04:17:33 AM »
Up there where you live Rudy I'd think you want at least double if not triple pane windows for the insulation value. Frames for them these days are made from wood, plastic and aluminum. Aluminum will likely last the longest but transfers a lot of heat or cold so plastic is likely the best choice. Wood isn't all bad but as you've found out doesn't last forever.

Unless you are gonna do it yourself I doubt you're gonna come out any less than that $600-$700 if even that if you get decent windows.

Several of ours which are double pane wood frame windows have leaked and there is moisture between the panes. Not long after we moved here I elected to replace a couple of them from some big name national company who claimed to have the best there is. WRONG. They are almost impossible to open and have been worked on two or three times since installed by the company and some by me. I'd never use their windows again and all the rest are still what came with the house.

Were it me I'd go to the nearest Lowe's or Home Depot or whatever such store you have and buy their best plastic windows and ask them for a recommendation for a contractor to install them or buy from Sears and let them handle the whole thing.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:17:58 AM »
Mine were the old single pane dbl hung windows complete with weights & ropes!....To pop off the interior trim and pull out notch type stops on either side made removing these easy. My replacements were the so called (pocket windows) or a vinyl clad dble paned (replacement) window that is made just for this. I have replaced several of these and the only thing to really pay attention to when purchasing your replacement window is the size of the opening. I spent more time scraping, caulking, and painting the rough opening than installing the window!

My last three replacements were roughly 45" tall by 28" wide and cost right around $100 from Menards or Lowes.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:26:06 AM »
This happens to be what I do for a living and have replaced thousands of windows over my career. The cheapest way for you to do it would for you to buy replacement windows. As far as rotten wood on the outside goes 9 times out of 10 it is just the trim that is rotting and the frame is still sound. If that is the case and it is just the trim that is rotten and the frame it self is sound then you will want to order vinyl replacement windows that fit inside your frame. You can replace the trim with new wood. You can order these windows from Home Depot or Lowe's for less than $200.00 a piece.To measure for the replacement you have to find the window stop on your window. That is the thin piece of wood that holds your sashes in. You will want to measure to the outer side of the stop. Be carefull here because if you make a mistake in measuring your window will not fit and trust me on this one you will be very upset. So after you measure the width you will want to subtract 1/2" from that measurement. The reason for this is in case your frame is a little out of square and it leaves room for you to insulate around the new window. Now you need to measure the height of the window. Open the window and be sure to measure toward the inside of the window at the bottom because the sill will slope and you may not get a correct measurement if you don't. So then just measure from the bottom to the outer edge of the stop again and subtract 1/2'' again. Let me know if I can help any further. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 04:48:45 AM »
I'll throw this in. I talked with a window shop not too long ago about replacing my windows. The guy that owns the place has been in business for a long time and I've dealt with him before. He has always impressed me with his knowledge. All they do is doors, windows, and mirrows. He told me he wouldn't install a vinyl framed window in this area. I asked him if the intense sunlight and heat would deteriorate the vinyl over time. He said it wasn't that but that the heat would warp the frames and the windows would become hard or even impossible to open or close. Of course over 325 clear days a year and temps that are routinely 100 degrees or more in the summer are what we experience here.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 04:53:31 AM »
I'll throw this in. I talked with a window shop not too long ago about replacing my windows. The guy that owns the place has been in business for a long time and I've dealt with him before. He has always impressed me with his knowledge. All they do is doors, windows, and mirrows. He told me he wouldn't install a vinyl framed window in this area. I asked him if the intense sunlight and heat would deteriorate the vinyl over time. He said it wasn't that but that the heat would warp the frames and the windows would become hard or even impossible to open or close. Of course over 325 clear days a year and temps that are routinely 100 degrees or more in the summer are what we experience here.
That is true. Extreme heat can and will distort vinyl windows. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 04:53:56 AM »
Sounds to me like you just need to hire Dale to come do the work.  I'm sure he'd appreciate the work right now.  Also, FWIW, I REALLY like the tilt/turn windows that are so ubiquitous here in Europe.  I know you can get them in the US but I don't know how much.  Nothing like being able to leave the windows open in two or three different directions.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Questor

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 07:25:35 AM »
Dale:

Thank you especially for the thoughtful answer. I really appreciate it.
Safety first

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 08:33:52 AM »
Can you recommend any good approaches to selecting and replacing windows?

I've replaced a few windows in my house last year, and got a deal on some cancelled-order custom sizes for less than half price.
If you have any window manufacturers or distributors nearby, check them.  Im sure there are lots of cancelled custom orders sitting around in warehouses with today's building market.

Cutting a few studs and headers can save you tons of money.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 09:13:15 AM »
Can you recommend any good approaches to selecting and replacing windows?

I've replaced a few windows in my house last year, and got a deal on some cancelled-order custom sizes for less than half price.
If you have any window manufacturers or distributors nearby, check them.  Im sure there are lots of cancelled custom orders sitting around in warehouses with today's building market.

Cutting a few studs and headers can save you tons of money.

This reminds me of a time when I worked for a company that all we did was windows and siding. I work for this outfit for many years. Well the owner of the company got this bright idea of selling a window job using only the left over windows that were is the warehouse. These were windows that were measured wrong by the sales people and did not fit so they had to re ordered in the correct size. Well he gave these people that did not have much money a great deal. Well let me tell you what a mess that was. Not one of those windows were close to the right size. On a normal size house we could be done replacing all the windows in a day to a day and a half and that includes wrapping the outside wood in aluminum. On this screwed up job we spent about 8 days making openings bigger to accept the new windows and finishing the inside to look good. The owner of the company about fell on the floor when my boss gave him the bill for all the extra work that was involved. Not to mention the house looked like crap when we were through because no two windows were alike. In my opinion it is a bad idea to buy left over windows and make them fit. The extra work involved and the look of the end product is not worth it. Just my 2 cents on that. Dale

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 10:22:16 AM »
no guns here.  Why would he want to hire Dale to do the job when he can get two illegals for a quarter the price?  Isn't that what it's all about today?

I am about to replace the windows in my house too.  The house is about 45 years old and the original aluminum windows are loose as a goose, that good ole Texas dirt blows in like they wern't there.  At a home improvement show a while back I seen fiberglass windows that were really impressive.  They could be bought in several different colors and look to be real wood.  I don't remember who made them but they had sure looked good.

Dale, I might consider hiring you to replace my windows, how does fifty cents an hour sound?  Heck, I'll even throw in all the ice water you can drink. ;D ;D ;D

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »
no guns here.  Why would he want to hire Dale to do the job when he can get two illegals for a quarter the price?  Isn't that what it's all about today?

I am about to replace the windows in my house too.  The house is about 45 years old and the original aluminum windows are loose as a goose, that good ole Texas dirt blows in like they wern't there.  At a home improvement show a while back I seen fiberglass windows that were really impressive.  They could be bought in several different colors and look to be real wood.  I don't remember who made them but they had sure looked good.

Dale, I might consider hiring you to replace my windows, how does fifty cents an hour sound?  Heck, I'll even throw in all the ice water you can drink. ;D ;D ;D
I am sorry but my bottom line is $1.00 an hour plus a plane ticket there. :o ;D Dale

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 10:42:41 AM »
'cause Dale needs the work.  I don't even know him but I think I'd rather hire him than some semi-sorta-qualified illegals anyday.  They ain't bad for stringin' barbed wire though...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"