Author Topic: Lack of reloading supplies  (Read 613 times)

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Lack of reloading supplies
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:11:20 PM »
I called Sierra bullets the other day and told them I was having problems finding not just sierra bullets but all reloading components locally.  I also told them that lots of guys are posting on the net they're have the same problem.

The Sierra rep said there running at full production, working over time, and thinking of adding another bullet press and more help.  They tell me they've had a great year.

They also told me they have plenty of raw materials on hand and they're in great shape.

The Sierra rep seems to think a fellow named Obama  might be driving sales.

Anyway, hopefully, when we vote him out, we might be able to find a few bullets on the shelves around town......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Lack of reloading supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »
My job put me on the road again this week. Evenings I spend in gunshops where ever I am. This week I was in 11 shops, all had plenty of bullets, brass and powder. It seems no one stocks loads of primers since the price went up. Powder at $24 a pound can be readily found!

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
victorcharlie:  Thanks for the post, I have been wondering what the bullet, primer, case, and powder manufactures were doing to fill the demand.

A week ago I made the trip of the hill to have lunch with my son and visited a major sporting box store.  Few handguns, lots of rifles, and shelves in the reloading department were naked.  One customer was looking for plain vanilla 180-grain, .308 caliber bullets for bear hunting.  There were none.

I was looking for IMR 4064 and there was none, in fact there was little or no IMR, Hodgdon, or Winchester powder.  Most of the Accurate powder was gone.  They still had some Ramshot powder in stock at a reasonable price.  I was foolish and did not buy.  I needed to be back down the hill the next day with the wife and I would swing by.  The key was to get a powder in the same burning range as IMR4064.  In this case Ramshot TAC is in the slot.

The next day we stopped by the store and they had increased the price $6.00 a pound.  In fact they had even increased the out of stock powder $6.00 a pound.  I left the store without buying anything, because I felt I was witnessing price gouging.  

I was fortunate that I received a call from a hunting partner today.  He was in a store that had the Hornady 30-30 flex-tip ammunition at $5.00 a box less then the box store, and they had a one pound can of IMR4064 for $6.00 less the the Ramshot TAC had been.  I appreciate the efforts of my good friend for making the effort for me.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline 1 farmer

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
I drove about 40 minuets today to a gun show. I havent been in years. There was one large space with ammo, powder and primers. and some bullets. The prices were at the same as I can find anywhere else. Powder$23  primers$29 bullets $15/100ct. But the powder selection was limited. I noticed no Varget or IMR 4064 wich is what I have been looking for. Other than this one guy nothing else. A little brass,very little and some ammo. I did manage to get a brick of HMR for$100 ;D

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 04:51:51 AM »
I would say more and more people are buying supplies from the intedrnet to save a buck, local dealers are tired of sitting on top of stock so they are not re ordering.
It's a shame people would rather pay for shipping than to support a local dealer

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 05:33:48 AM »
I am going to a big gun show next week. I will stock up on more reloading supplies since I believe the prices will continue to rise. There is usually a number of vender's with components so price comparisons will be convenient.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 05:34:37 AM »
I try to buy my primers and powder locally. The store I buy most of these supplies from were out of my "stuff". I was looking for medium burn rate powders and Remington 7 1/2 primers. I would stop by every week for several months. I finally asked when they were going to get more supplies in. He said he did know, but could order them in. I said great, and I put in for 5K primers and about 12 pounds of powder. I waited for another month and nothing. I finally gave up and ordered on line, paying the hazmat fees. I just increased my order amount to save enough money to cover the hazmat fees. The powder is easy to get, the primers a little more difficult. I order just about all my bullets and brass on line because it sooo much cheaper than buying locally. On line bullets that cost $14/100 cost $18-$20/100 locally. I have found that bullets and brass are getting more difficult to come by any where. 223 and 308 brass are getting almost impossible to get and bullets are really starting to get scarce in .224. I have not checked other sizes. I laid in a bunch of supplies last fall, before the election and glad I did. I am still looking to add however and will when the opportunity presents itself, if the price is not too outrageous.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 06:03:13 AM »
I have been holding off on buying bullets as the metal prices have/ are falling. it takes a few months for goods prices to catch up with raw materials.

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 07:00:33 AM »
I was looking for some Varget and was told by one supplier  that his source said that there would not be any for some time not because they couldn't make it but because of trouble with the company that makes the containers??  I told him that I had several empty ones that I would be glad to recycle. ::)

RJ

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 04:20:15 PM »
I just picked up my DPMS AP4 that I ordered back in August.  I checked around for .308 brass.  Guess what, there was none to be found.  The local store had none, Scheels and Gander Mountain had none (about 45 minutes away).  Bullet selection for .308 and .224 was scarce as well.  So I ended up ordering online.  Thing is, only two boxes of bullets out of the 10 are in stock!  And forget trying to find .308 or .223 brass in bulk online or in the stores.

And another thing, how about the jump in bullet prices???  A couple of years ago, I picked up a box of 140gr Gamekings in 7mm for about $17.  The same bullets are like $25!!!  How can they justify that with metal prices where they are at???  The crappy part is, I only see it getting worse!!!  Especially with everyone scared to death about what our Pres and gun hating hench men and women will do (since now there power is unchecked being they control the house, senate, and presidency!) 

I can't wait to hear what my democrat friends will say when a ban hits or they aren't allowed to buy anymore guns or they have to pay $40 for a box of 30-30 ammo!!!

Offline 1 farmer

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 05:15:50 AM »
I dont think the cost of metals will affect anything going down. A barrel of oil has dropped way down for sometime now but I just bought a set of tires for my truck and the price hasnt fallen. The price of grain has fallen almost in half from what it was last summer and yet cereal,bread, milk prices at the store hasnt moved.
With the high demand of ammo/reloading supplies right now it could be a few years before things taper off. I hope I am wrong ;D

I'm headed in tomorrow to buy some IMR 4064 from my local gun shop and check on some Varget(supposed to be comming in soon). I wish I had bought the other three pounds, while I was on a road trip, when I did but I didnt realize it was going to be so hard to find localy.