Author Topic: 17 CCM?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline doc-and

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
17 CCM?
« on: August 29, 2003, 02:06:15 PM »
Can anyone tell me about the 17CCM cartridge.  Might rechamber my 17HRM barrel for it.

doc-and

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
17 CCM?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 06:21:13 PM »
Why?   You won't be gaining much except a bunch of extra work and extra expense (brass and dies are both lots of money).

Have a pard that has/had a couple of 17CCM's - first one a custom walk around rifle built on an XP-100 action, second a Cooper Varmint rifle.   With several 17CCM configurations, I know he had a hell of a time with brass and dies for the first rifle and then short brass life in it.   It was a cutie at my first Digger Wars in 2001 though - took a lot of Beldings out to about 350 yards.   But he found out at that same shoot that he prefered all my 17 Ackley Hornets to it, and rechambered it to 17AH for the 2003 Digger Wars.   He fairs better with the Cooper rifle in 17CCM I think, but the stars of Digger Wars '03 (The year of the 17's), were all our 17 HMR's and 17 Ackley Hornets.   That 17CCM didn't see much action, nor did our 17 Mach IV's or any of the .224 caliber and bigger rigs along on this trip.   Over 2000 Beldings were shot in 3 days with by far the lions share of them with the Hummers.   BTW, quite a few Beldings dropped to the 17HMR/CCI TNT's well beyond 300 yards at DW '03.

Anyway, just some food for thought from a bystander who's never had a 17CCM (and never will) and just knows a little about a pard's experiences with a couple of them FWIW.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus