Author Topic: simmons scopes  (Read 4104 times)

Offline cridertj

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
simmons scopes
« on: February 14, 2009, 01:38:54 AM »
I know they are not any were near the top of the line but has anyone used this scope? I have a encore 204 coming form eds when i can get a hold of him and was needing a scope for it. With the way the economy is and there is no over time to save for a Nikon or Leopold. But i found a decent deal on this scope and would like your input on it. It has good reviews on the sight and the 204 has very little recoil so i thought this would get me going so i could enjoy my new barrel when it gets here. Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Adjustable Objective Mil-Dot Reticle Matte .

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
Re: simmons scopes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 02:51:26 AM »
Got the exact scope save for the reticule. Will buy another with the mildot. Do not hesitate your money will be well spent. Like all the reviews this needs high rings. Mine is on a 243
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 03:13:14 AM »
thanks for the info i hope it will be good for the 204 for a cheaper scope i liked the upper line Simmons scopes i have had in the past but never used the higher power scopes

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 05:13:00 AM »
I have two of the plain reticule types. They are both about two years old. I have one on a 223 that can shoot under .3" at 100 yards. It holds it's zero well, but I do not crank on it a lot. Once I have it set, it stays put. The cross hairs are a little thick, but it has not given me any problems, I can still shoot well under .5" all the time with it. For the money they are a pretty good scope. I have not had any trouble with the second one either, I just have moved it around so I have not really got to evaluate it yet. Right now I have it on a T/C in 221 Fireball. Have not sighted it in yet. You might want to look at Midway's site. There are lots of reviews there about this scope; mostly good, but some critical too. They pretty much tell you what to expect. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:57:23 AM »
My information is not particularly current and is based strictly on a sample of ONE. Several years ago folks were talking up the WhiteTail Classic or whatever name was attached to them at that time as really good value for the money and really just a darn good scope period. They weren't really cheap at that time.

I bought one of the 4-14AO scopes with the granite finish or what it was called that the series were noted for at that time. From the get-go right out of the box it was junk. The AO turned but did nothing to adjust the parallax which was severe making the scope useless.

I didn't bother to find out if they'd honor the warranty I just plain didn't trust it any longer and never ever will again. I paid $100 plus shipping and gave it away free just to get it out of my house. I've never bought another Simmons and doubt I ever will. I've bought a few used rifles since with scopes of that brand on them at the time. I always looked thru them deemed them junk and took them off. I did keep them as I have observed that locally the gun dealers seem to think bolt action rifles should have scopes on them when traded in. They don't seem to offer anymore for a Leupold than for a cheap scope but want some sorta scope on them as they seem to think they sell better if already scoped. That is the ONLY use I have for such scopes is to put on rifles to be traded off to local dealers.

I place Simmons, Swift, newer Tascos and most Weavers into about the same category. They aren't going to be found on guns I use and if I buy a used gun with them I'll hold them to put on the next rifle I trade off locally. I used to just toss them into a trash bin but now use them when trading rifles with local dealers.

I've been known to buy rifles wearing Leupold or other high dollar scopes just to get the scope then trade it in with an elcheapo scope on it and usually get back about the same thing in trade on it that I gave for it making the premium scope basically free to me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:47:39 AM »
Have had Simmons scopes in the past and they didn`t work for me.  Got rid of them and went to a Nikon...........very happy.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:17:43 AM »
I have used SIMMONS scopes for years with good luck out of all of them.
They are on guns from 223 to 270wsm to 45-70.
These are all older scopes-pre MASTER SERIES.
All but 4 are AETECs.
One is a pro 50, one is a Whitetail classic, and the last one is one of the cheaper lines (don't recall the name) it is on a 22 mag.
I have 11 SIMMONS in all.
I will not use the new MASTER SERIES because of the way the internals work now.
They work on a sliding tube in a tube princeable and if you tighten the rear ring to tight it will lock up the magnification adjustment.
You have to leave the ring a little looser that normal and I don't care to do that.

I have heard others say they have had trouble with them but I have never had a failure in any way with any of them.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline kix

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »
  Cheap scopes on fine,expensive rifles;oh the horror. We've all seen it, Bushnell Sportviews on MKV Weatherby's and the like. However, I am guilty in at least one instance. Just about 9 years ago I wanted a 50mm obj. lens scope to put on my Ruger 77 in .458 for low-light hog hunting;at that time a 50mm Leupold was an impossible purchase so I settled (as an experiment) on a Simmons Pro-Hunter in 2-10x50. Guess what? All these years later my .458 still wears the Simmons and it holds zero year after year (ok,maybe with some tweaking but so do my now many Leupolds). But once it's "on" at the beginning of the season a hog is in dire straights with a 400 gr.Speer headed it's way. Maybe I should replace that Simmons for the "prestige factor" but for now I can't see the point. My best advice is to give a Simmons a chance and see what happens.  Kix

Offline pozoutdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:22:49 PM »
I agree!!! My favorite scope that I own is a simmons atv 4.5-14x40!! It's been on my M70 30-06 for ten years now and i really couldn't tell you just how many rounds have been put through it, but it is a BUNCH!!!!

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
Being retired, I too have a very limited budget for rifle scopes.  I don't have the whitetail classic simmons, but do own several of their Prohunter AO scopes that are on rifles with calibers from 257R to 30-06.   While they certainly are not Leopolds, I have no complaints with them.  I just shoot paper at a local range about once a week and so far none have had a problem.  Don't know if Natchez Shooters Supply still has them available at a very reduced price, but you may want to check with them.  Also they have their own version of the Whitetail Classic called the Prairie Master, made also by Simmons that is lower priced than one available from Midway.  If you do visit the Natchez site, you may want to check the Truglo variable AO scopes that are heavily discounted.  I have a couple of them too and if I recall correctly, two Leopold scope owners viewed thru mine and were impressed with the clarity of the Truglo optics.  Like the Prohunter scopes, I have no complaints about them either and both are mounted on much higher caliber rifles than you will be shooting.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 08:55:29 AM »
Older prohunters were ok for the price, owned several, and I would agree that the ATV's seem to be built very well, owned one traded it with the gun. New Master Series, Big POS, looks like they're unloading them on the market now that Meade doesn't own Simmons anymore. Overall still a hit and miss and I think Bushnells, possibly Nikon are the best value currently in the lower-price point offerings.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline 31 bertram

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 04:42:52 AM »
The older Simmons Whitetail Expedition is one of my favorite scopes, but are hard to find.  They were'nt $50 dollars scopes though.  I think you would have spent probably between $200 and $300 when they came out.  Very clear and good quality.   I think Simmons has changed hands so many times that it's hard to keep up with who owns them nowadays. 
31 bertram

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 06:13:09 AM »
I have 4 of them, one with mil-dot , very good scopes for the $100 I paid............

Offline Bill In SC

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 04:06:09 PM »
I bought one awhile back, and it arrived in a granite finish.  I mounted it on a 6.5 Swede Encore, and it has never left.  Tracked well, and was repeatable.

Next time they went on sale I bought another one.  This one came arrived in a matt finish.  It found a home on a HB 25-06 Encore.  this one is staying where it's at also.

They are both clear and brite.  Sure, you can spend a whole lot more on a scope, but the bang for the bucks on these, I like them.

Bill

Offline Smoke-em

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 02:41:33 AM »
Grey Beard
If, in your travels, you come across a gun with a Simmons 44Mag scope, and marked Phillipines, let me know immediately.  I'll take the scope off your hands.
Thanks

Offline boaman88

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 10:49:32 AM »
I have 8 of the Whitetail Expeditions. 6 are currently on my hunting rifles. They were Simmons top of the line model. I have never had a problem with any of them. In all the years I have been shooting I have only been able to break one Simmons. It was a 44 Mag on a 300 Win Mag Ruger No. 1 with over 650 rounds on it when it broke. I have also broke Leopolds and Nikons. They all can break.

That being said, I have looked through a few of the Meade/Simmons scopes and was not impressed at all. But then I have also looked through a couple pairs of Meade binoculars which were total garbage so I guess I should not be surprised.

I have broke more Bushnell scopes than any other brand.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 11:31:05 AM »
  i have one on my 06 its couple yrs old and holds very true..
 its 3by 9.. im putting a 4-12 bushnell on my 06.. the eyes are getting worse..

Offline tomcat

• It ain't over till its over!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 08:45:11 AM »
  I have two Aetec on my main hunting rifles,
the oldest one has never had to be adjusted in
the last eight years. I would buy another if I needed
another scope. Best for the money in my experience.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 11:05:17 AM »
Met a guy from Dubai in Idaho on a whitetail hunt.  He could afford anything he wanted.  His scope was so bad the guide gave up on sighting it in.  Double crosshairs.  Horribly out of focus.  Think it was a Simmons.

Offline the great orator

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 10:16:06 AM »
I have a slightly older one, (think I bought it back in 01) that is a 3.5-10 whitetail classic.  Made in phillipines.  I have it mounted on a Sig SRH970 .30-06 (which by the way if anybody knows where an extra .25-06 barrel is floating around, let me know).  I sighted it in when I first got it, and haven't had to touch the dials since.  The optics are very clear with no halos around the outside edge (I get them with my Burris FF2).  the crosshairs aren't as fine as I'd like, but I bought it for $99 from Natchez so I can't complain. 

I was going to buy another one for a rifle I just acquired, however, it looks like they have a silly krinkle finish on them now, judging from pictures.  Mine has a nice smooth matte finish.

I can't say what the quality of the new ones are, but because it isn't just like mine, I bought a Bushnell trophy instead.

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 10:22:10 AM »
I like leupolds and old steel bodied Weavers when I can get em cheap

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 10:56:54 AM »
I have around 8 or 9 Simmons  scopes, have had no problems with them. The Whitetail series are very good scopes for $100 and less...........

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »
Well, I have exactly 1 Simmons 6.5x20 Whitetail Classic AO.  It resides upon a 22 250 Varmint gun, and is, in all ways, an excellent scope.  I love it.

The reason I have only one Simmons scope is that every other one that I have tried (except other identical 6.5 by 20s, with which Simmons has apparently hit a home run) have been mediocre at best, and the latest I tried was down right awful (3x9 40 Master Series Pro Hunter) :P.

For consistency, I have taken Graybeard's advice, and am sticking with Bushnell.  I just put a 3x9 32 Bushnell rimfire on my wife's new pink 10 22, and it's great.  They seem to be the best quality/value ratio on the market now, imho.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »
skarke:
I am a diehard Simmons man, especialy the AETEC line and the WHITETAIL CLASSIC.
At this point I have over 30 Simmons scopes.
They have all given fine service on anything from 22s all the way up to the 450 marlin.
I never liked their RED LINE series and wouldn't give two cents for any of the new  MASTER series scopes.
I will always but the old AETECS but not the new ones.
You have to leave the rear ring a tad loose in order to use the adj magnification.
The new Simmons scopes work on a sliding tube in a tube princable.
Tighten the rear ring to tight and it locks up the tubes and will not adjust.
Simmons says to loosen the rear ring enough to let the adj magnification work.
How can a scope stay zeroed with the rear ring loose.
NO NEW SIMMONS SCOPES FOR ME!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Shiner

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 06:57:13 AM »
I have 2, both are the Master Series Prohunter, 1 is on a 270 and 1 is on a 30/06. I bought them planning to use them until I could afford something better. It's been about 3 years since I got the 1st one and 2 years since I got the 2nd, now I could afford better scopes, but these have done great so I don't plan on replacing them. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »
Longtom,

I must admit that I have had limited exposure to the Aetec line.  At that time (of the Aetec line), I had a passion for TCs, and most of my scopes were Burris's.  I bought the 6.5 x 20 as a "see if I like it", and it has been stellar.  It tracks well, is clear and contrasty, and holds zero great.  I think that I looked through a few Aetecs years ago, and they were probably very good, I just wasn't in the market.  They were made in the Phillipines I think.

My recent exposure is when I was looking for something to top my new 7mm 08.  The Master :P Series was unimpressive, had poor light transmission, and had really poor contrast and eye position forgiveness.

On the other hand, I never was a big Bushnell fan until GB spoke so highly of them.  I now have a couple of 3200 pistol scopes that are really excellent, except for a pretty large reticle (probably designed for hunting, not paper).  In every other way, they are fine scopes.  What really impressed me with bushnell, however, is that their trophy series are really quite nice.  For 60 bucks, they are a steal.

I still like that 150 dollar 3x9 Nikon the best, and I only have one, but it is a winner.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus