Author Topic: reloading for my AR  (Read 412 times)

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
reloading for my AR
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:01:53 AM »
I have 223 die set, the rifle is 5.56 chamber. My question is whether I am going to need to look for 5.56 dies or not. I understand it will be ok to use 223 rounds thru the gun. But is resizing back to 223 after fire forming it to 5.56 going to be a problem. I'm hoping this is just a dumb newbe ? . I am not exactly finding any 5.56 dies anywhere anyway.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: reloading for my AR
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:36:39 AM »
 I am not a big "AR" guy, but as far as I know the 5.56 is a military only proposition. So its more likely you have a 223 rem. 
 In any event, you should be just fine with 223 rem dies for loading ammo in your AR.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline pj53404

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »

The .223 dies are what you need. The case dimensions for the 5.56 and .223 are the same the differance between the two is in the barrel throat.

Pat

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:42:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll quit worry'n and get to shooting.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »
Can you save an appreciable amount by reloading 223?  This is one cartridge that enjoys competative pricing - especially in bulk amounts.  I can't answer my question.  What is your experience.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 02:52:35 PM »
For me, it is simply the fact I am a complete noob. I spent six hours putting together 40 rounds, my first 40 ever.

I figured it was the cheapest round I could practice on, with the least potential of hurting me if I really messed up.

I think the only thing I didn't do twice was seat primers! I hope to get out Wed and see how I did.

I'll be glad to start on larger cases, my fingers can barely be made to work those tiny components. I'm getting into it primarily for the .300wm and .45/70. I've collected a decent amount of brass for those, and they are spendy as all get out for good loads.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »
Can you save an appreciable amount by reloading 223?  This is one cartridge that enjoys competative pricing - especially in bulk amounts.  I can't answer my question.  What is your experience.

Yeah you can save a great deal of money.  Even .223 factory loads are insanely expensive these days.  I would say that for crap ammo you are going to run about 40 cents a shot. For decent ammo figure more like 75.  I can load for about 18 cents a shot not including brass.  I paid 10 cents each for fully processed once fired brass, but intend to get at least 5 loads out of the.  So figure 20 cents per round.  Unfortunately components are more expensive now days also...I have loaded 1200 rounds over the last couple weeks, working an hour here and an hour there.  Goes pretty quick when you get it down.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne