Author Topic: Primers for Magnum loads vs Standard loads  (Read 389 times)

Offline 38MAN

• Trade Count: (0)
Primers for Magnum loads vs Standard loads
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:05:16 AM »
I went out again today looking for standard small pistol and rifle primers at the local shops. None to be had. I went into a shop that I have purchased some supplies from in the past.  They had some magnum small pistol and rifle primers. The owner said that I could use them in place of the standard small primers. Against my better judgement I purchased the magnum primers since I have been looking for the standard primers for over a month. Did I screw up? Can I use these magnum primers safely?  Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Primers for Magnum loads vs Standard loads
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:34:18 AM »
I would say no, BUT that will depend on your loads.

Start with starting loads and work up as always, just pay close attention to the signs. I would not advise you just substitute mag primers to your existing loads. That could create a problem.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:40:35 AM »
 You WILL have to rework the loads! Primers can make a load do some strange things. Accuracy MAY go to pot. Pressures will definetly be different, most likely higher! Not knowing WHAT guns you are using my advice is start low and work up. As is normal for changing ANY components. I have done this in the past when primers were scarce. I found some much better loads too.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »
In most cases, unless you are already at the maximum recommended load or your loads have not already shown signs of excessive pressure you should be fine. Many of my load manuals have the exact same loads listed for a certain bullet weight with the only difference being some use a standard primer and some use a magnum. With my handguns loads, I routinely substitute magnum primers when tweaking a load for accuracy.  Again, as with all new components, the key is to start low and work up.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline 38MAN

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:55:08 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for the input. I'm not a big fan of recoil. I usually load at just above starting charges. I assume this shortage of supplies is due to the "change" they voted for. God Bless America!

Thanks again!!

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »
Here are some primers. I just got 10 K from them.

http://www.grafs.com/powders/3525
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.