Author Topic: Best CCW for you or your wife  (Read 741 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Best CCW for you or your wife
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
OK, we have kicked this around several times, but after a conversation with a Concealed Carry Instructor who is a 26 year LEO and combat veteran I have new prospective of  concealed carry weapons.

Many tout the automatic pistol, after all John Browning’s invention and the development on the 1911 influenced a lot of us in out opinion of both defensive and offensive weapons.   After all it was an effective instrument in WW I, WW II, Korea and even Viet Nam .

The 1911 influence over most of us was such that we all assumed it is the perfect weapon.  I think we kind of extend this to modern day automatics too.  While of ample power, the 1911 had many drawbacks that are common with most automatics weapons.  One problem, the 1911 comes up short when magazine capacity is considered.  They are fairly reliable, but still have many problems that limit their capability as a defensive weapon.  

Think about the ways an automatic can malfunction and you will see what I mean.  The pistol relies on the resistance you give it by keeping your wrist stiff as the slide cycles back and ejects the spent case and load another round into the cylinder.  If you limp wrist it, you can end up with a stovepipe malfunction.  Most often it is in-experienced shooters that have this problem, but it can happen to anyone when shooting under stress.  Let’s say you are surprised by an attacker and get a poor grip when you draw, or you are in a position not common when you fire.  As the gun cycles after firing the fresh round jams the one being expended and the gun jams.  It is easy to clear this malfunction but the time it takes in a SHTF situation may mean the difference between life and death.

How about a failure to feed, you didn’t jam the magazine completely in and no round was fed into the chamber, or maybe you had a weak magazine spring or bent feed lip.  Again, an easy thing to correct with the old “tap-rack-bang,” but you are out of action and at the mercy of the attacker as you attempt to correct the problem.

Last, there is the dreaded double feed malfunction, where the spent round refused to expend and the gun tries to cycle a live round into the chamber.   To clear this malfunction, it is a five step process of locking back the slide, extracting the magazine, cycling the slide to clear the chamber, inserting the magazine and again cycling the slide to insert a fresh round into the chamber.  Would you have time to do that in a gun fight?

Now I ask you, if you aren’t concerned with ammo capacity and you are choosing a handgun based on reliability, isn’t the revolver your best choice?  No doubt in most hands it takes slightly longer to reload a revolver than it does and automatic, but when it comes to reliability, accuracy and trigger pull I would choose the revolver over an automatic for a less experienced shooter or a lady that may not know how to clear a gun in a SHTF situation.  

I expect to get a lot argument over some of these comments, but I am convinced that for every malfunction of a revolver, there are at least a thousand malfunctions of an automatic.  This is coming from some one that believes the Sig is the best weapon on the market and his weapon of choice for carry.

After my conversation with the instructor I now understand why my ole Grandpa used to say, “Son the cheapest insurance you can but is Smith and Wesson.”  His carry gun was a S&W Hand ejector, first model of the 1896 in a .32 Long Colt, it still functions as good today as it did when he carried it.

Offline williamlayton

Re: Best CCW for you or your wife
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »
Well, HERE WE GO AGAIN---I have passed this old oak tree so many times.
All you say is true.
You do not acknowledge that there are malfunctions with rollers.
If you get a good one or a less than good one and have a good Smith make it into a good one, then you run say a thousand rounds thru it to make sure it is good---with either--then you know you can trust it.
It will shoot--full size here--a minium of 8 rounds without a three second reload, it may shoot as many as 20 rounds.
It will shoot these rounds with more ease and accuracy in a short period of time than most can shoot a roller of 5 or 6 rounds. Why do you think the boys in the games count on semi's.
I like having superior fire power and quick reloads in a weapon I know will function properly.
Do not be decieved, not all LEO's are sound performers with their weapons, butt , you know that.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jumpsteady

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:26:04 PM »
I recently sold my Spring field XD45 to buy a Ruger SP101 in .357. Yes I am going to give up capacity, but I believe that for the shear simplicity of the gun that it is worth it. I also recently bought a S&W 637 airweight in .38 special +P. I am also trying to consalidated ammo. Every handgun that I currently own will fire .38's thus also eliminating the confussion of which ammo goes with what in a SHTF situation.
Charter Member, Sons of the American Legion, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Charter Member, American Legion Riders, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »
I really do like the rollers as I have used them for about 50 years.   Now on to the meat of the subject, I daily carry a auto for a number of reasons.   I have had dust disrupt the action more than once with the wheel guns.   For whatever reason the autos seem to function for me every time.   Having sons in LE for about 30 years, they have all gone to the autos and not had any complaints and they started with wheel guns.   Given the larger capacity, I will carry the auto for reasons mentioned previously.   There are times one more shot is extremely critical.  In close quarters, I like the auto over the wheel gun. Reason, was something that happened to me a number of years ago when on patrol.   A fellow pulled a gun and started to raise it and I was able to grab it by the top with my fingers hanging onto the cylinder and the web of my hand between the hammer and the firing pin.   IF I had not done that, I might not be here to write this note.  This is MHO.

Offline jimster

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:33:08 AM »
Yep, this thread would generate a lot of opinions for sure.

Best carry gun is the gun your used to and can hit with all the time.  Nothing else matters much. 
Ever see some of those Cowboy Action shooters handle a single action?  If that is ALL they are used to, that is the best thing THEY could carry...if they are not familiar with anything else.  It all boils down to what both men and women are comfortable with and shoot a lot with.  If they don't shoot a lot...ya, maybe a revolver would be best. 

Reliability depends on the gun itself,  won't make a difference if it's an auto or revolver,  they all break.
If you ever busted the hand on a revolver...your all done...and I have, one was a S&W. 

I'm not so sure about the deal where for every time there is a malfunction in a revolver, there is a thousand in an automatic.  Someone would have to prove that to me.  Bought a P2000 H&K for my son with two barrels while he was in Iraq,  I beat the snot out of this pistol cause he wanted me to test it.  I shot all different bullet weights out of both calibers (40 and 357 sig) and could not get this thing to screw up.  A thousand rounds later I cleaned it real good, he came home on leave and he out about 600 more rounds through it.  Now that he is back home he has put a few thousand rounds through this thing and I asked him if he had a failure yet....not yet.  I have a couple of 1911's that act the same way. 
I'm not so sure you could put that many rounds through some of the snub revolvers they sell today without things breaking.  ?  Some yes, but you'll pay more for those.

Just my opinion on carry guns....they will vary for sure.  But don't kid yourself...they all break, and unless you take care of them a little bit they might be full of lint and not work at all....

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:20:35 AM »
I knew this would catch some flak when I posted it, but my intent was not to downplay an auto (I carry a Sig); it was intended to point out the fact that an auto may not be the right gun for an in-experienced shooter, or for a lady.

As for the thousand to one malfunctions of an auto in comparison to a revolver, this is a WAG (wild assed guess) based on many years as a completive shooter and 49 years of military experience.

I agree, one should select the gun they are most comfortable with, but one should be cautious of arming an a woman or in-experienced shooter whit a weapon they may not be able to use if it experiences a malfunction.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »
I have often said that inexperienced shooters are best served with some type of point & pull (point gun, pull trigger) type of weapon. Whether it be a revolver or Glock or XD type of automatic. The main thing is to get to know your weapon (how it functions, where the gun shoots in relation to POA, etc,etc) I myself have been carrying a XD 45 Compact for the last 3 months as a CCW. I had previously been carrying a 1911 cocked and locked (still have 2 1911's and still love them), but I already had a XD Tactical and got a great deal on a Compact. I have been shooting the Compact quite a bit since I've been carrying it. I put TFO nite sights on it and it makes a great CCW. In the heat of the moment, all I have to do is point the gun and pull the trigger. No the trigger pull is not as sweet as my tuned 1911, but is plenty good enough to keep my shots in the A zone. Practice with whatever you carry and you will be one step ahead of the person that doesn't!!!  ;)

Offline jimster

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »
I totally agree that an auto is not best for the in-experienced person Rockbilly, no problem with that one.  To the women and men who dedicate themselves to their personal weapons and practice and handle them all the time, there might be some exceptions to what is the best one.  I pretty much agree with you on all your points. 

Jim