Author Topic: nef ultra slug hunter  (Read 1787 times)

Offline packerbacker

• Trade Count: (0)
nef ultra slug hunter
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:04:28 AM »
Hello all. I am a new member to gbo but not new to the forum as I have enjoyed reading all your thoughts. I have hunted in a shotgun only management unit in Wi for the last 27 years. I have used a remington 870 special purpose slug gun in 12 ga for the last 10 years but have passed it on to my son for his first deer season in 2009. ( he shoots is pretty good @ 50 yards). i'm interseted in the ultra slug hunter but not sure of 12 vs 20 ga. most shots will will no more than 125 yards. I'm also interested in any suggestions reagrding the browning bps vs Ithaca deerslayer III vs the savage 210f as i would also like a repeater (mostly due to the affordability of the ush). thanks, i look forawrd to your feedback. Mitch

PS:forgot to add to my previous post (guess i was anxious to get it done so i  could wait for a reply) i consider myself an average marksman. not great but not awful.i have been successful on my share of deer in the past but also have had not so good days in the field as well as the range. i do not live at the range so to speak as time and $$ is a factor.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: nef ultra slug hunter
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:43:18 AM »
I, as well as a lot of others would recommend the ush 20ga. Plenty of gun for the range and game you are talking about. Accurate as all get out and easy on the shoulder and the wallet.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:07:36 AM »
I also shoot the USH in 20 Ga. I have found it to be plenty of gun for Iowa deer. Do be forewarned, these guns are heavy. It gets tiring if you carry alot. H&R does make a lighter version, you might want to find one and handle it to see if it fits your type of hunting. I have been shooting 2 3/4" Win. Partition Golds, at 1900fps they are very accurate out of my gun. A Bushnell 1.75-4X32 Trophy series scope sits on top of it. It is more lilke shooting a rifle than a shotgun. Oh ya, welcome to the forum, stay awhile and share in the knowledge!  JamesIII

Offline packerbacker

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »
thanks for the thoughts so far. I went out to see if i could find an ush to look at today. found a couple at gander mtn and got to talk with their gunsmith a bit. i've read were some people encounter failure to fires and asked him how prevelant a problem it is. he said he has seen an alarming number of these guns where the transfer bar is the problem- it actually breaks. He also said the triggers cannot be worked - how are all your triggers ? , better than the 870 ?. he also said md leopold rings with a leopold scope should be ok with the hammer. ( this is what i had on my 870). any info on savage 210 vs ithaca deerslayer III ?

Offline UltraSlugBill

• One shot, One kill
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »
I happen to hunt with the 12 ga USH. I own two. Ive never shot the 20 ga, but  i have no reason to think I would be less pleased with a 20 either. These are the most accurate slug guns I have ever shot. I live/hunt in lower Michigan (shotgun only). Ive had 870's and Ithica 37's among others and my ush's topped with 50mm lighted recticle scopes are hands down the victors. They are HEAVY. And the trigger can be improved if necessary. Check out the FAQ section of this site to get excellent, step by step details on trigger jobs.
If you plan to steal from my property, be sure to give your soul to God for I will take your ass.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:28:06 PM »
Hello all. I am a new member to gbo but not new to the forum as I have enjoyed reading all your thoughts. I have hunted in a shotgun only management unit in Wi for the last 27 years. I have used a remington 870 special purpose slug gun in 12 ga for the last 10 years but have passed it on to my son for his first deer season in 2009. ( he shoots is pretty good @ 50 yards). i'm interseted in the ultra slug hunter but not sure of 12 vs 20 ga. most shots will will no more than 125 yards. I'm also interested in any suggestions reagrding the browning bps vs Ithaca deerslayer III vs the savage 210f as i would also like a repeater (mostly due to the affordability of the ush). thanks, i look forawrd to your feedback. Mitch

PS:forgot to add to my previous post (guess i was anxious to get it done so i  could wait for a reply) i consider myself an average marksman. not great but not awful.i have been successful on my share of deer in the past but also have had not so good days in the field as well as the range. i do not live at the range so to speak as time and $$ is a factor.

Our home area here in Cheeseville is also a shotgun only deal. Our first H&R was the USH in 12 ga. While this gun was really accurate the weight turned off everyone that tried it. It was difficult to shoot well without a rest aim, and too heavy for everyone to carry for awhile except for me.

I then purchased a 20 ga.TrackerII for my wife and it started a whole new trend for us, as we drilled and tapped the Tracker II for a scope rail, added a scope and this 20 ga. put a lot of venison in the freezer. Everyone liked this set up and we now have six such units that were drilled and tapped w/scopes here in our neighborhood among friends and relatives. We even traded the 12 ga. USH for one of our Tracker II's

Better yet now a Tracker II renamed the Ultra Light Slug Hunter is produced by H&R with the offset hammer spur and scope rail as standard equipment. I have no experience with a 12 ga. in the Tracker II, but others reported heavy recoil off the bench but of course it doesn't bother you in a hunting situation. Here is a link to the ULSH and USH, notice the weight difference in the various models.
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:26:39 AM »
 I think you be more than satisfied with a USH slug gun. I have two and 12 and a 20. My 12 shoots better, but in all fairness, I have had it longer and shot it more. Both wear identical setups, Ultra base, Leupold PRW lo rings, Leupold 1X4X20 VXII scopes and green laminated stocks. The 12 is the most accurate slug gun I have owned. Here is 5 Buckhammers from 100yards.

They are heavy, but that works to your benifit in recoil asorbation and overall shot stability. There is a weight in the butt that can easily be removed as well.

Many people who do not know say things like you have herd. they break allot and the triggers are not "workable" I too have herd this rubbish. Take the time and rear thru the FAQ's at the top of the page. Tim and others have gone to much reouble putting it all togather. there truly is a wealth of information there.

CW

EDIT to add pics...
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »
It's said the 210F can have feed problems. The USH can have FTF, mine has and the breech has come open at fireing. I don't hunt with it but use it for testing home rolled slugs. My son has a BPS and it's to lite, has heavy recoil. The Deerslayer III i've heard is a great slug gun, but on the exspensive side. IMO that leaves you with say a 870 Exspress and put a $159 20" Hastings Econo barrel on it. I have that outfit and it will group as good as my USH that can group 1 1/2" at 100yrds.

iii
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 01:46:37 PM »
The USH can have FTF, mine has and the breech has come open at firing.

What is "FTF"?  Failure to Fire?

The opening is likely just some oil on the latch. A common, but entirely avoidable problem.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »
FTF is when they don't go bang! I put the same slug in my 1100Rem. and it went off as should. The trigger was horrible new so I reworked it every step as shown on this forum, not bad now. The bore plastic fouled bad so I pohlised it, better now. I load and fire about 400 slugs a year and thats how you fined out what works.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline packerbacker

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 04:25:33 PM »
thanks guys for all your input so far. CW, i was curious as to how many slug guns you have owned or tried and what turned you on to these ultra slug hunters, Also, what sort of steps did you have to take to get your ush to group like that ? i/ve never seen a 100 yd group like that from my 870. that is more likre what i can get at 50-75 yds on a good day. I am going to bemigji, mn ice fishing this weekend and plan on stopping at cabelas outside minneapolis on the way to get a closer look at the ush they might have. hopefully they will as i have cabelas points and a gift card burning a whole in my pocket. thanks - mitch

ps - CW, one more question. how dirty does your barrel get from the buckhammers, what kinda damage on deer ?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 04:51:40 PM »
thanks guys for all your input so far. CW, i was curious as to how many slug guns you have owned or tried and what turned you on to these ultra slug hunters, Also, what sort of steps did you have to take to get your USH to group like that ? i/ve never seen a 100 yd group like that from my 870. that is more like what i can get at 50-75 yds on a good day. I am going to bemigji, mn ice fishing this weekend and plan on stopping at cabelas outside Minneapolis on the way to get a closer look at the USH they might have. hopefully they will as i have cabelas points and a gift card burning a whole in my pocket. thanks - mitch

PS - CW, one more question. how dirty does your barrel get from the buckhammers, what kinda damage on deer ?

I have owned a number of slug guns thru the years. Most notable a Ithaca 37 SB, a Ithaca 87 RB, Browning bolt slug hunter, a couple Mossberg 500's Both rifled and smooth and a couple different 870 barrels both rifled and smooth. All shot OK in there own right. Now, you should know, I am a STAUNCH 870 supporter and was hard pressed to use ANYTHING else when I needed a shotgun. I still will own nothing else as a defensive or general purpose repeating shotgun. At that time, I had a rifled/cantalever 870 barrel that shot Federal, Barnes Expanders into 2-3" groups at 100. Previous best was the M87 rifled. It too shot the old BRI slugs into 2-3" groups at 100.

One day a friend invited me to the range. He had purchased one of there USH's and was impressed with how well it shot. I was so impressed, I returned to work and called multiple distributors until I found one in stock and ordered it! It arrived a couple days later, I scoped it with a Leupold 2X7 shotgun scope and went to the range. My father joined me that day and we both shot the best groups we had ever seen from a shotgun!!  Mine LOVES the Remington Ultra Cor-lokt slugs. It is sited to print them 1.5" high at 100 yards, in tight one hole groups. These BuckHammers are new to me. With the Ultras sited 1.5 high, they shoot right on at 100. As you can see group very nicely. Its wonderful as I carry both slugs and if a long shot, (over 125) is called for I load a Ultra and everything closer gets the BuckHammer.

Yes they are a bit dirty with some plastic fouling. But they hit like Thor's hammer!!

My 20 is not as good a shooter, but no slouch. Like I said thou, I haven't shot or owned it nearly as long as the 12 USH. I have restocked my 12 with camo lams and a Limbsaver recoil pad. I also removed that 2X7 and put on matching 1X4X20 VXII Leupold's mounted in Med Leupold PRW rings.

Here is my 12USH:

Here is my 20USH:

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline packerbacker

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 10:41:07 AM »
Thanks CW

I have to admit, reading your posts really pumps me up. I'm dreaming about deer at night now. Sounds like your 870 set up is much like mine, even down to the ammo, though i have shot the Hornaday SST the last couple of years. How did your Ithaca shoot ? Is your Ithaca similiar to there Deerslayer III ? Also, i've poked around a bit and it seems to me, at least where I live, that there is not the assortment of 20 ga ammo avail as the 12 ga. I have not noticed this b/4, but then again, never needed it. May play a part in choosing 12 vs 20. What do you use to clean the barrel after using the buckhammers and did you have to "break the barrel in" prior to experimenting with different loads ? Have you heard of the tar-hunt 870 conversion, any thoughts ? Thanks

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 11:26:18 AM »
If your have the money for a tar-hunt conversion and want one go for it. I bought the last 20ga ultra at Cabelas in Hamburg Pa with my gift cards from Christmas and my birthday. The guy behind the counter told me he has sold a pile of the 20ga this year and the 12ga as well. I brought it home, slapped a cheap old fixed 4x simmons scope on it and put 5 win BRI sabot slugs in a 1 1/2" ragged hole after 3 to get it on paper at about 60yards. This will gun will give you great performance at a great price. My 870 with a cantileverd 12ga hastings barrel will do a good job as well but the barrel cost as much as the USH cost me. I have a ported Topper deluxe slug as well that I bought of of Gunbroker for around $100.00 that has taken 5 or 6 deer. This is not the gun to get to wow most gunsmiths or the guys that shell out Tra-hunt kind of $. This is great shooter and a capable tool. It is also easy to tweak and if you do mess it up really bad your only out a couple hundred bucks. I'd be afraid to take a gun that cost as much as my truck out hunting. I guess I'm a cheapskate. The fellas at the range might laugh when you open your gun case but they won't be laughing when you pull your target.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 12:35:14 PM »
Welcome Packbacker

I have an 12 gauge USH in (SB2-980), with a Nikon slughunter 3x9 with BDC 200 reticule.  Nikon slughunter has a reticule with for lines, which are 50, 100, 150, and 200 yards.  When shooting at long distances, you want this scope.  Mine likes Hornady SST's.  At 100 yards with 2 shots got inch group's.  I bought mine last summer.  I spent about six hundred bucks.  I love mine.

"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline packerbacker

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 05:39:15 PM »
thanks guys for the awesome info. I'm thinking i just may be one of you guys after this weekend, providing i can locate one. still undecided about 12 vs 20 though. the 12 indeed is a tad heavier, but we hunt mostly out of ground blinds and ladder stands and all i really know is the 12 ga in my current 870. i just hope i can attain the same type of accuracy you all seem to get.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 06:26:22 PM »
Welcome to the site Packerbacker...

I have a USH as well...Although my gun is the 12GA version, they are virtually the same weight.

I originally purchased my gun as a 10GA NEF Shotgun for turkey hunting.  I sent the butt stock, receiver and forend back to H&R to have the Ultra Slugger barrel fitted...I added a set of high rings and a Bushnell 1.75-4x32 Trophy scope to the setup.  I hunted with that barrel for a few seasons using the old 10GA buttstock and forend...Two seasons ago, I purchased a set of the camo laminate stocks.  The buttstock has a raised comb and both the forend and buttstock are checkered.  This gun is a tack driver with Lightfield Hybred 2 3/4" sabot slugs...There is no doubt in my mind that it will shoot better than I am capable of. 

If I were you, I would not hesitate to pick up a 20GA...Heck, I have even tossed around that idea.  Now if I can get over my obession of purchasing handguns we will be all set...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline packerbacker

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »
HELLO ALL

JUST GOT BACK FROM MN AND BROUGT A NEW 12 GA ULTRA SLUG HUNTER DELUXE  BACK WITH ME. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS. IS TRULY IS A BEAUTIFUL GUN, ALREADY MY FAVORITE AND I HAVE NOT EVEN ADDED THE SCOPE OR FIRED A ROUND YET. I AM PROUD TO HAVE JOINED YOUR RANKS. MITCH

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 01:16:21 AM »
Mitch,
 GOOD JOB!!

Your on your way now!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline rangerwillie

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 03:57:07 PM »
Mitch, Caballas sells a safari sling. Its all I use for my 12 ga USH. ( its much quiter than a 5 hp brigs engine.)

Offline ELMO

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 11:24:09 PM »
  Packerbacker your going to be impressed with the accuracy of your USH. I have used several different slugs with success out of mine, Hornady SST's and Remington buckhammers. Two recent deer were taken at 100 yards or a little more, using a solid rest and they dropped right there. The USH is a deer getter......

Offline packerbacker

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »
thanks guys for the latest posts. i will look into the safari sling and i thank you also for the ammo suggestions. still waiting on my scope. i decided on the new ultraslam by leupold. i cannot wait to fire this gun after reading all h&r owner testimonials. in fact, i have decided not to pass on my 870 to my son. i'm going to find me a 20 gauge ultra slug hunter to give to him instead. i also ordered a nef .17 hmr to join the ever growing h&r collection. who knows, if i can keep my job, i may even get rid of my winchester .30-06 and get a handi rifle. i went to a gun show this past weekend but had no luck finding any h&r's.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 02:53:18 PM »
thanks guys for the latest posts. i will look into the safari sling and i thank you also for the ammo suggestions. still waiting on my scope. i decided on the new ultraslam by leupold. i cannot wait to fire this gun after reading all h&r owner testimonials. in fact, i have decided not to pass on my 870 to my son. i'm going to find me a 20 gauge ultra slug hunter to give to him instead. i also ordered a nef .17 hmr to join the ever growing h&r collection. who knows, if i can keep my job, i may even get rid of my winchester .30-06 and get a handi rifle. i went to a gun show this past weekend but had no luck finding any h&r's.

You will love the accuracy of that 17 as well!!  Mine is very good, but my 17M2 is even better!!!

GOOD LUCK with ALL of them!!!
 CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline packerbacker

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »
CW

WHERE CAN YOU FIND A .17 M2. I'VE SEEN WHERE YOU HAVE POSTED THAT YOU LOVE THEM. I ASKED THE GUY AT MY NEAREST GANDER MTN AND HE SAID THEY NO LONGER MAKE THEM. OUR WALMART NO LONGER SELLS GUNS, IVE SEEN WHERE SEVERAL PEOPLE HAVE GOTTEN THEIR H&R'S THERE. I GUESS I SETTLED ON THE .17 BECAUSE I COULD NOT FIND AN M2, I EVEN POKED AROUND ON THE INTERNET FOR ONE (NOT MY FAVORITE WAY TO BUY STUFF, GUESS I JUST LIKE TO SEE IT FIRST) I HAVE NO OTHER OUTLET FOR FIREARMS NEAR WHERE I LIVE THAT I DONT HAVE TO DRIVE A LONG WAY TO GET TO - GUESS THAT IS WHY I HAVE KEPT MY 870 SO LONG.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 11:53:45 PM »
They pop up from time to time. Guess you just have to be in the right place at the right time. ;D

I will keep my eyes open for you. Shoot me a PM with your contact info. If I find one, I'll let you know pronto!!  ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 02:18:27 AM »
You guys talked me in to the HB 20ga. I have a few slug guns,but looking for something for our clubs turkey shoot and everyone seems to give H&R's a good report.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule