Author Topic: Operation Have Fun with the grandson.  (Read 579 times)

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
Operation Have Fun with the grandson.
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:57:40 AM »
Operation Have Fun.

Objective:

Spend an afternoon plinking with one of the grandkids and making sure it was a positive experience.
The mark - Grandson, Colton.

Specs:

Equiptment - Home made stand, clay pigeons, small round candy waffers.
Supported safety equiptments - Eye and ear protection, shooting table, shooting rest, etc.
Tool s - Federal bulk pack 22 lr ammo, and Henry Mini-Bolt.
Logistics - Approximatelty 25 foot range.
Revisit firearms safety prior to engagement.

Action plan - Get er' done!

The bait, clay pigeons and candy waffers.

A close up of how I managed to get these things to stay put.

The mark, my grandson Colton.

He was shooting somewhere around 25 feet. Those clays look big, but the waffers almost dissapeared to my old eyes.

After a days work all that was left was ruination and total destruction.......

Just thought I would post this for all of you who like sharing your hobby with youngin's.
We had a great time together out here, he did 99% of the shooting.
What little shooting I did was to show him you could hit one of those little waffers.
We finished the day off by putting a new set of clay pigeons up and stepping off about 75 feet to make it challenging.

OF
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Operation Have Fun with the grandson.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:02:14 AM »
Very nice setup, and one extremely Happy Grandson. I'd say you had a pretty darn successful afternoon there, Old Fart.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:21:30 AM »
That's what its all about. My grandkids aren't old enough to shoot yet but I still like to spend time outdoors with them. It wont be long before bullets will be hard to keep at my house.

From the grin on your grandsons face I would say he is having a good time. Those memories will last many years.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:31:01 AM »
My grandson old enough to shoot wouldn't be caught dead with a firearm in hand. He frowns badly anytime they are mentioned or viewed. One step grandson has the interest but has developed flinches so bad I stopped him from shooting one day and he hasn't been back to shoot since. He was closing both eyes after lining up the sights and raising his head far off the stock before pulling trigger. He just can't seem to get past the flinches no matter what.

The two youngest grandsons are a long way from being old enough but I have Red Ryder bb guns laid back in the closet for both when their time comes. If they'll take up the shooting sports I'll get them rimfires and then shotguns as their time comes.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:33:51 AM »
The stand was made from mostly leftover scraps of wood.
I just used a circluar saw to cut the grooves.
The grandson helped me build it, so it was only appropriate that he be the first to blast away at it.
His little sister has placed a few holes in the wood since the pictures were taken and broke a few targets also.
I've got some hangers I've made on a machine I got to hang clays pigeons on a rope. The big boys take those out to the back side and blast thier mosins away at them. They like it on a windy day when they move around in the wind.

I've found that if you make it interesting the kids enjoy it more.
I've been a volunteer in BSA for years. There's never any shortage of boys wanting to take the rifle shooting and shotgun shooting merit badges. A few shy away from the black powder. I'm guessing because of the size of them and the smoke plume. Usually it's the older boys who've already mastered the rifle and shotgun who take it. But the point is that they like it when it is available to them.

I just posted these to maybe encourage others to take a little time out for the kiddo's. Feel free to cabbage my idea or take it to the next level. We need to remember that these little guys will be the ones taking up the torch when we get to old.......

OF
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 01:53:32 AM »
Man, folks are always surprised when they bring their Tiger Cubs to their first camp.  We always have BB and archery.  The kids ALL want to shoot.  They don't care if they shoot BB's, arrows, slingshot's or catapults.  Girls are the same.  I run ranges for shooting sports for Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Venture scouts.  In the past 4 years I have had exactly three kids not shoot or finish shooting.  One young girl just didn't want to shoot at all.  One girl shot archery but didn't want to shoot bb's.  One older Girl Scout shot 3 shots at trap, one magazine from the Ruger 10/22 and then didn't want to shoot the .308 at all.  Other than those three, I don't know how many thousands have gone through my ranges.  If I were forced to guess it would be probably about 2500.  3 out of 2500 pretty much proves that kids just like to shoot.  There are a LOT of mom's that leave wide-eyed after finding out that Johnny who isn't allowed to play with guns or have toy guns, WANTS and LIKES to shoot bb's and archery!!!

ngh
"I feared for my life!"