Author Topic: powder tricklers  (Read 845 times)

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
powder tricklers
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
 I'm in the market for a trickler and see they're all pretty close price-wise. Are there any in particular that I should stay away from?

Offline super mario

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • boardstobeauty
Re: powder tricklers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »
I am new to reloading, just bought about everything I need and reloaded a few already. I think a trickler is a very basic tool and I doubt anyone could be any better than the other.
I bought a Lee perfect powder meausure for like 26 bucks on ebay brand new. I dont even need the trickler, after adjusting the lee to my measure it dumps the exact amount every time, I check it every so often and it just keeps dumping the exact amount.  I recomend it.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:39:17 AM »
 Personally I do not like the plastic ones and prefer one with some weight to it. That way it dosen't "jump" when I trickle a couple grains in the pan...  Mine is a old RCBS, its worked perfectly for many many years.

CW.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:28:57 AM »
Don't use them. Find them more trouble than they are worth. For years I used a teaspoon for the task then finally broke down and bought a set of the Lee dippers. I find it much faster and just as accurate if trickling is needed to put some powder in a container and use a small Lee dipper to trickle it to finish up a load in the pan on my scale. Just turn it to where powder almost flows then tap it gently with your finger and a grain or two of powder will fall out at a time.

Of course I now have a Lyman DPS 1200 so don't expect I'll be doing anymore trickling at all in the future.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:45:20 AM »
Personally I do not like the plastic ones and prefer one with some weight to it. That way it dosen't "jump" when I trickle a couple grains in the pan...  Mine is a old RCBS, its worked perfectly for many many years.

CW.

Even with my old RCBS I tended to have a (heavy thumb) so I filled the hollow base of the RCBS up with molten lead...works great as said.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 04:06:43 AM »
Personally I do not like the plastic ones and prefer one with some weight to it. That way it doesn't "jump" when I trickle a couple grains in the pan...  Mine is a old RCBS, its worked perfectly for many many years.

CW.

Even with my old RCBS I tended to have a (heavy thumb) so I filled the hollow base of the RCBS up with molten lead...works great as said.

What a GREAT TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Necessity is the mother of invention!!! THANK YOU for sharing!!!

I have some fishing sinkers to make this week end... Maybe I'll just do the same as you when I am finished casting!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
Don't use them. Find them more trouble than they are worth. For years I used a teaspoon for the task then finally broke down and bought a set of the Lee dippers. I find it much faster and just as accurate if trickling is needed to put some powder in a container and use a small Lee dipper to trickle it to finish up a load in the pan on my scale. Just turn it to where powder almost flows then tap it gently with your finger and a grain or two of powder will fall out at a time.

Here we go again...  ::)  +1 on Bill's post.  Tricklers are to much work and too slow.  Depending on the load, I drop powder in the scale's pan with one Lee dipper then bring it up to weight using a small dipper.  You can tap out a grain at a time easier that way then twisting your life away with a trickler!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:16:56 AM »
I use the Lee dipper method (its the only use I have for Lee dippers). I do have an old trickler I let go for postage ........

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 12:19:14 PM »
Being kind of thrifty I made mine out of an old case and superglued a nickel to the bottom so it stays put on the bench.  Just pick it up and twist out whatever grains are needed.  Used an old 243 but almost anyone could do the job ;)
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline smokey66

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:17:54 PM »
I bought a Lee perfect powder meausure for like 26 bucks on ebay brand new. I dont even need the trickler, after adjusting the lee to my measure it dumps the exact amount every time

How well does that work with 4350 powder?

Offline super mario

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • boardstobeauty
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 01:40:19 PM »
I bought a Lee perfect powder meausure for like 26 bucks on ebay brand new. I dont even need the trickler, after adjusting the lee to my measure it dumps the exact amount every time

How well does that work with 4350 powder?

Havent tried it, I just started reloading. Is 4350 big granules ?

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 01:49:48 PM »
I did not use a powder trickler for years. I used Bill's method. Eventually, I broke down and got a trickler. I like it better than tapping in a few grains, I have better control, no more "over tapping". Like CW I like a heavy metal one. The one I bought was a Redding, and like it just fine. After using it for a while I still like it better than tapping in a couple of grains at a time. However - most of my reloading is done on a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 now days. I only use the throw - scale - trickle method on real small charges of powder, where the Chargemaster just does not seem to be consistent enough for me. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »
For the past 46 years, I've used my "natural" powder tricklers... i.e., my finger and thumb.

I thoroughly WASH my hands prior to beginning to work with the powder to insure my fingers are free of oil, grease or whatever... and then, as I load powder in the cases, if I need a little extra powder to "zero" the scale, I dip my forefinger and thumb into the top of the powder measure and grab a "pinch" of powder... and slowly dribblle it into the powder pan until the balance arm's pointer steadies up on "0".

Since I've reloaded tens of thousands of rounds over the years and weighed EVERY powder charge on my RCBS 1010 powder scale... and dribbled any extra needed powder using a clean forefinger and thumb & never had a mis-fire, hang-fire or anything other than a normal ignition of the powder, I believe my method of "trickling" powder is a good one... and you can't beat the cost of the "tools"... which is "0".   :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »
 Here I thought I was doing it the wrong way using a Lee dipper to tap in the powder. Skb2706 I sent you a PM, thanks for the offer.

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 02:57:05 AM »

That's kinda strange my old RCBS trickler already had the lead bottom weight poured in it when I bought it new,of course that was 20+ years ago which may have something to do with it. I use the Lee dippers to tap in the powder if I'm not loading very many rounds.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline gofish

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 03:05:14 AM »
The only times i use a powder tickler is making max loads.I agree the heaver the better so that it stays put by my powder scale.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 03:33:20 AM »
That's kinda strange my old RCBS trickler already had the lead bottom weight poured in it when I bought it new,of course that was 20+ years ago

I got mine in 84' so yours is probably older than this. To leave the lead out was probably a bean counter's idea to speed up production & cut cost.

The tricklers are very consistant as your thumb & index finger quickly learn just how much to turn it.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 04:49:59 AM »
I like my Redding trickler. Plenty heavy enough, when I spin the tube, it doesn't move. About the only time I use it, is when I'm loading a stick powder. I'll set my powder measure to throw about a grain light, set the pan on my electronic scale, where the trickler is, and spin the tube until I get the right amount. Once I get a rhythm going, it doesn't take long to load a couple hundred rounds. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 05:44:57 AM »
Here I thought I was doing it the wrong way using a Lee dipper to tap in the powder. Skb2706 I sent you a PM, thanks for the offer.

responded with a PM.....

Offline wncchester

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 04:08:00 AM »
I like using a trickler.  Problem was, I couldn't find a trickler I liked!  The Redding was the best I found, out of maybe five commercial ones. 

Three things "wrong" with them.  One, they are too light for the stability needed.  Two, the feed tubes are too large and, usually, of aluminum so they really don't turn as smoothly as they should.  Three, the knobs are all too small, I perfer a larger knob so I can turn it with a trigger finger tip, no thumb. 

Don't know what to tell you to do, I had to make mine but I'm quite happy with it.  If you are a tinkerer, you can try using a thin wall brass pipe (go to a plumbing supply store and get a 1 1/2" x 6" sink drain "tail piece") for the body and use a 5" section of 1/4" diameter (from a broken auto radio antenna) chromed, hard brass tubing for the feed tube.  Pour maybe three inches of lead into the bottom of the body for weight and epoxy on a 3" disc of plastic or what ever for a  base.  Then pour any epoxy into the body, over the lead, to make a smooth bottom for the powder.  Drill slightly offset holes in the body, just above the epoxy layer, for the feed tube.   Put a 1" or so electronics knob, Radio Shack, on the top end of the feed tube and let the lower end extend about 3" to reach the scale pan.  Mark the feed tube where it passes through the body and file a powder pick-up hole there. 

My tumbler is now about 10 years old and it's NOT for sale!  It weights about 2.5 pounds (I made a lead filled base too) and works fine.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 04:21:14 AM »
That sounds like a nice unit!! 

Great engineering, Figuring all that out. How about a pic to show off your talents? I know I would like to see it!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline wncchester

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 04:32:09 AM »
Wellll, I'm a better home shop tinker than computer whizzard.  Don't know how to post photos and too old to give a cram!  ;)

Actually, that was just a workable suggestion, it's not what mine is.  My trickler was partially lathe turned and a lathe is, sadly, out of most folks reach.  As it was mine for the first 57 years of my life!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue