Author Topic: Can one under the age of 21 own a handgun in oh  (Read 3282 times)

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Can one under the age of 21 own a handgun in oh
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:25:05 AM »
I live in Ohio. I have heard rumors that a person under the age of 21 but over the age of 18 can legally own a handgun. From my understanding it would have to be "gifted" or bought from a non licensed vendor. I am intrested in a handgun for 3 reasons. One of them being hunting. Also for home defense which i use a 12Ga. for now. So the home defense isn't the top priority. The last being the range because that is one of my favorite things to do. I am 20 yrs old and I will be 21 in December. Its not that long of a wait but if possible I would like to get one now. Please any information on this would be great. Also I didn't know if this should go in the "hunting in oh" forum or here.
****The Second Amendment.....You dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away****

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Can one under the age of 21 own a handgun in oh
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
I'm moving this one to the Ohio forum cuz I think you'll be more likely to get a response from someone local there than where you placed it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:11:37 PM »
iam 99.9% sure you have to be 21 to hold handguns in ohio , i know you have to be 21  to buy any ammo in a pistol caliber also ,  such as 9mm 45 acp and the likes

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:33:26 PM »
I second what Shaner Has said.    Ohio law states 21 as the legal age to own and possess a hand gun.

Sorry I was Wrong  ;D
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 02:36:04 PM »
Thank you grey beard for moving it to this forum. Also it is not aagainst the law of ohio for a person under the age of 21 to open cary a hand gun. I found that at a site with the ohio gun laws on it. It also states that no 1 under the age of 21 can own a firearm unless for hunting, educational reason,and sports(range, skeet ext...). I think it has to be bought from a non licensed vendor. Also i think that if it is given to you by a parent or guardian there is a loop hole. However i may be wrong. But the law specifically says that no under 21 can ccw or puchase from a licensed vendor. It also says that any 1 over the age can OP (open Cary) a firearm. It doesnt specify a certian type of fire arm(long gun, handgun.)I think i am going to have to wait til im 21 but i have heard of loopholes.  Also if any ones of any of these loopholes i would be intrested to see. Also I am going to call the local sheriff and i will post my results. And if its possible to obtain a handgun the ammo isnt a problem. Ive been thinking of making my own.
****The Second Amendment.....You dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away****

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 08:21:09 AM »
OK I just got the return call from my county sheriff. I asked him if a person under the age of 21 can legally gifted to them. His answer was yes. Under the Ohio revised code the legal age for open Cary for any firearm is 18. So i could have my mother buy a handgun and have her gift it to me. Then I can legally have it transferred into my name. Then it will be legal for hunting, sport, and educational purposes. Though I would post the results of my research.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
I stand corrected then. I'm sorry.  Please get what your Sheriff told you in writing. For your Benefit. Sheriffs are not lawyers and either am I.  Best of luck with your research.
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 02:11:07 PM »
I stand corrected then. I'm sorry.  Please get what your Sheriff told you in writing. For your Benefit. Sheriffs are not lawyers and either am I.  Best of luck with your research.
That is good advice wich I intend to follow. SO thanks for the advice. I dont trust the law any way. SO i think having it writng would benefit me. And no need to apologize it amazed me 2.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 04:48:01 AM »
agreed , i said 99.9% hahaahh they ccw  did change , i guess so, but check on buyin the ammo ?

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 01:58:07 AM »
agreed , i said 99.9% hahaahh they ccw  did change , i guess so, but check on buyin the ammo ?
That may be a problem. But my mother will buy it for me. Ill just get bulk when I have her do it.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 11:38:51 AM »
brought  this up atthe local gun store today , the owner told me  that he cant sell handguns to anyone under 21 or sell handgun ammo for handgun use ,either now if yu say yur usin it for a rifle such as a 9mm carbine  then he can sell to you ,

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 01:59:33 AM »
brought  this up atthe local gun store today , the owner told me  that he cant sell handguns to anyone under 21 or sell handgun ammo for handgun use ,either now if yu say yur usin it for a rifle such as a 9mm carbine  then he can sell to you ,
Thats good to know. Thanks for the advice.

Offline minker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »
as i always understood the handgun law , it says you have to be 21 or over to buy one or ammo for one. it doesn't say you have to be 21 or over to use one  or be given one or carry one (legally , as in not concealed ) .

rparsons934 , i'd make sure you get it in writing from your sheriff . what he says is legal in his county , can be throne out by the sheriff or judge in another . all laws are unfortunetly subject to the individual interpitation of those who inforce them or rule on them . i'd have to seriously doubt you can have that handgun transfered into your name before your 21 , i'll bet the ATF would have someones head for doing it . good luck

Mark D. Stackhouse

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 10:00:28 AM »
I spoke to 2 city cops and then the sheriff again. It is a OHIO law that 18-20 can even purshase a handgun from a non FFL in a private transaction. Not county. All 3 officers said the same thing. There is no paper work required it is legally mine. I did get it in writting from the sheriff who was nice enough to do so. I can open cary as well and have that firearm in my car as long as the action is open and that the ammo is in a seperate spot that is not execable while driving. There also would be no paperwork needed when i turn 21 in december. Thought i would post the final information on this. So I will be getting my first handgun on the 15th(payay).

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 10:12:02 AM »
way to go man an do'in  your homework ahead of time, nice to see a young man usein his head before trouble start's   :)

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »
way to go man an do'in  your homework ahead of time, nice to see a young man usein his head before trouble start's   :)
Thank you. I always try to do my homework and use my head. I plan to CCW and i cant have anything messing that up for me.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »
GOOD FOR YOU!!  It's great to See a Young man Showing The promise To do what he loves. Just Be Safe 
and If Possible Take your CCW Class For the safty aspect .  I'm Glad I was wrong on this one! ;D
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER