Author Topic: question for those that have attached sights to there shotguns  (Read 663 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
question for those that have attached sights to there shotguns
« on: February 17, 2009, 01:01:58 PM »
i have an idea for a rear sight on my turkey gun (the single shot camo stocked one) anyways the sight has a flat base and i was wondering if the black loctite (which i think is the right one) would work since the barrel is rounded or would there be a better option?
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: question for those that have attached sights to there shotguns
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:09 AM »
Sounds like a 'no-go' to me.  Gluing sights on a barrel, without more surface area to 'support' the base, is not likely to hold.  A flat base on a round barrel will provide no support.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:47:02 PM »
Several of the guys here have done what you propose and say that the Black Loc-Tite works well.  You need to mate up the barrel and sight base with as much surface touching as possible.  They way to do that is to wrap a piece of emery cloth around the barrel with the smooth side to the barrel.  Just work the sight base forward and back on the emery cloth until you get the base to match the countour of the barrel..  Make sure both surfaces are clean and free of oil and dust. You want to also trace out the area on the barrel where you want the sight base to be mounted and take off the camo or bluing so you are glueing bare metal to bare metal, then follow the directions on the loc-tite.  It's not hard, just go slow and don't take off any more material from the sight base than necessary to match the contour of the barrel.

Good Luck and enjoy the new Pardner.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:00:53 AM »
I glued one on once with gorilla glue. when i decided to remove it it took a pair of channel locks to get it broke loose.  it surprised me at how well it held.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:22:40 PM »
You could silver solder some sights onto it.
It's very easy to do and definitely won't come off ;)

You can buy silver solder and a propane torch at Home Depot for less than 30 bucks.

Spanky