Author Topic: shooting 45 /44 magnum in a .410  (Read 1480 times)

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
shooting 45 /44 magnum in a .410
« on: February 17, 2009, 01:21:56 PM »
On the wildernessoutfitters  shows they are shooting 45 shells in a 410 with the choke cut off-they say only the older heavier barreled models should be used.The accuracy wasn't bad for short range.Anybody try this?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: shooting 45 /44 magnum in a .410
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 02:16:57 PM »
I saw the video and they cut about 8" off the .410 barrel to get back to where the bore was pretty close to .45". ALSO, the older barrels were the thinner ones. The newer barrels are thicker and heavier, mass produced pieces with less handwork. I believe even the older thinner barrels would work and be safe if they were cut back far enough so they measured close to .45". Remember, the choked end of a .410 is about .410, quite a bit less than a .45LC or a .44 Mag caliber slug....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »
well its a survival tool,intended for shooting anything from grouse to deer,but I'm not sure what sort of accuracy or range you'd get out of a smooth bore shooting 44 magnum or 45 colt.I have a 20 guage survivor that I can shoot slugs out of ,not sure what diference there would be between slugs and a 45 bullet

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:29:06 PM »
Bad Idea on many levels!
While I have a 45LC/ 410 barrel for my T/C it was made for the 45 Colt and .410 will fit in.  The plastic shot shell will swell to snuggly fit the 45 Colt chamber with the low pressure shell.  Again it's a .451-454 hole you are sending a .410 shot cup through.  Like the new backbored shotguns.  Not sending a .451-454 bullet through a .41 hole and out of a round that is loaded to higher pressures.  While most 45 Colt rounds are lead and will probably squeeze down for one or two to prove you can, 44 mag is just a really bad idea!  Even at .429 the case is going to be loose in the chamber as you will have a chamber rupture and hopefully not a trip to the hospital or worse the morgue.  Do not end up on the Darwin awards for this.   Just cause it fits does not make it a good idea.  If you want to shoot a single projectile out of your 410 they do make slugs.  they are pretty cheap and pack a good punch.  more than the 45 colt but less than 44 mag.  Better yet as a survival gun get a 12 or 20 ga and do not be tempted to stick a metal case in it.
I also have a 410 shot gun and when I was younger thought it would be neat to slip a 45 Colt in it to see if they would work and have a deer and upland game side by side.  Thank god they did not fit into the chambers.  I bought slugs and was happier.  If they were shooting 45 colt out of a 410 I think they reamed the chamber to 45 Colt.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:22:41 AM »
Bad Idea on many levels!
While I have a 45LC/ 410 barrel for my T/C it was made for the 45 Colt and .410 will fit in.  The plastic shot shell will swell to snuggly fit the 45 Colt chamber with the low pressure shell.  Again it's a .451-454 hole you are sending a .410 shot cup through.  Like the new backbored shotguns.  Not sending a .451-454 bullet through a .41 hole and out of a round that is loaded to higher pressures.  While most 45 Colt rounds are lead and will probably squeeze down for one or two to prove you can, 44 mag is just a really bad idea!  Even at .429 the case is going to be loose in the chamber as you will have a chamber rupture and hopefully not a trip to the hospital or worse the morgue.  Do not end up on the Darwin awards for this.   Just cause it fits does not make it a good idea.  If you want to shoot a single projectile out of your 410 they do make slugs.  they are pretty cheap and pack a good punch.  more than the 45 colt but less than 44 mag.  Better yet as a survival gun get a 12 or 20 ga and do not be tempted to stick a metal case in it.
I also have a 410 shot gun and when I was younger thought it would be neat to slip a 45 Colt in it to see if they would work and have a deer and upland game side by side.  Thank god they did not fit into the chambers.  I bought slugs and was happier.  If they were shooting 45 colt out of a 410 I think they reamed the chamber to 45 Colt.

Thanks, you answered my questions.  I GET IT, the Survivor is built on a 45lc spec and the 410 shells are OK.  Just not the other way around.  Good Job.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"