Author Topic: Hi-point firearms??  (Read 12011 times)

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Hi-point firearms??
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:22:01 PM »
Was in the local shop and saw two unbelivably priced .40 and 9mm auto's. Both were Hi-Point. At first glance the price seemed like something foreign made, but their website sounded good, 100% USA made, and have a lifetime warranty. Anybody got any input on these?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Hi-point firearms??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »
JUNK!!!!
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:19:59 PM »
ive got the 9mm (pistol and carbine) and my dad has the .40 (pistol and carbine) there really accurate (both pistols and carbines) there not very preety and kinda heavy but they just plain work. most people that talk down about them never owned or shot one 
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 12:47:28 AM »
ive got the 9mm (pistol and carbine) and my dad has the .40 (pistol and carbine) there really accurate (both pistols and carbines) there not very preety and kinda heavy but they just plain work. most people that talk down about them never owned or shot one 

I have owned one, I worked in a gun shop for a few years, and we had people come in and order them. We got back 90% of them to send back for repair. The people that got then back from repair, always wanted to trade them in on other guns. No one will take them back in on trades that I know of, and the gun shops in my area will not stock them. I know 2 gun shops that will not even order them for people, they will talk them out of them, because they do not want the hassle of getting the guns returned or have to deal with dissatisfied customers.

So don't say people that have not owned them, or shot them are the ones that trash them, because they are cheap guns, and you get what you pay for. They are JUNK....

Now if you don't mind spending your time unjamming your gun at the range, by all means get one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 01:44:41 AM »

I have owned one, I worked in a gun shop for a few years, and we had people come in and order them. We got back 90% of them to send back for repair. The people that got then back from repair, always wanted to trade them in on other guns. No one will take them back in on trades that I know of, and the gun shops in my area will not stock them. I know 2 gun shops that will not even order them for people, they will talk them out of them, because they do not want the hassle of getting the guns returned or have to deal with dissatisfied customers.

So don't say people that have not owned them, or shot them are the ones that trash them, because they are cheap guns, and you get what you pay for. They are JUNK....

Now if you don't mind spending your time unjamming your gun at the range, by all means get one.

Well Redhawk1, I for one have NEVER owned one but, my neighbor does. He brought it over to see if I could fix it. I have a policy that I do not work on cheap made guns. REASON? The gun will make a fool out of you to your customers. If you try to fix them you find it is like putting out a prairie fire, or stopping up a leaky dam.
Oh, by the way. I sent the carbine back across the street untouched. I will say however that like shopping garage sales, one man's junk is another man's treasure. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:58:59 AM »
You have something there Dee, but a high point would not even make my junk drawer..lol  :D

The one I had, I shot it with my 44 Mag. That is a true story. I went to the range with it, and it was a jamomatic. I finally threw it down range and commenced to shooting it into pieces with my 44 Mag. Pot metal busts up well. I retained the piece's of the high point to show my gun shop, and we all got a great laugh out of it. Sure I was out $180 bucks, but it was a lesson well learned.

My junk never was given a chance to become one mans treasure.  ;D :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:15:59 AM »
I agree 100% with Dee and Redhawk. Why waste your money on junk, when you can put a little more with it and buy a good used pistol, that will last you a lot longer. Try to trade a Hi-Point in a they will laugh you out of the gunshop. My gunsmith/dealer won't touch one anymore, along with Bryco's, Jennings, and Ravens. You get what you pay for!!!  ;)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 05:02:19 AM »
When you get into such cheap guns, you get guns that will indeed function much of the time but, for how long. Take the Raven for example. The firing pin is multi-tasked. How? It is not only the firing pin as the name describes, it is also the EJECTOR!
Good idea? I think not. It used to be the number one cause for break down. But hey! You can get'em cheap. ;)
Here is the philosophy behind such guns as the Hi Point. You pay say $200.00 out the door, and it shoots for a few months or even a year or two, then breaks down. Life time warranty you say. Sure it does, BUT! The company is COUNTING ON, MOST FOLKS will not go thru the red tape of "mailing the weapon" with the current restrictions and will simply grumble a little while and eventually lean it in a corner as a lesson learned for the buyer, and a dollar made for the company. Like it or not, thems the facts.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 05:45:15 AM »
Yep, I've always been a cheapskate, and now retired I will pinch a penny till Lincoln's eyes water but there is such a thing as "too cheap". Below a certain price point it is no "bargain" but money thrown away.  I would say the "Firestorm" and "Kel-Tec" brands are about the cheapest that have any chance of proving satisfactory.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 05:57:54 AM »
As others have said on other threads on this site, that silly 9mm carbine (mod 995 I think) just keeps on firing. Allthe Hi-point guns are ugly and feel clunky. I would never buy one except I confess when the carbine first came out for $100, I couldn't resist. Over 500 rounds later, not one failure. I just don't know of any practical use for it.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:37:03 AM »
I looked at Hi-points and I will admit the price is tempting along with the warranty.
To be honest, it just was too ugly for my taste. If that was all I could do that is what I would do. I would just rather save up.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 08:29:21 AM »
I have the 995 carbine, looked at the handguns, glad to hear some more opinions on them. Think I'll hold off on them. They seem bulky and reliability is hit and miss.

Carbines are a different story, at least as accurate as the overhyped Ruger Mini's at 1/3 the price and function very well. It's prettier(eyes of the beholder) and more accurate with the aftermarket ATI stock(got lucky w/mine at $35). Out to about 125 yds with hollow-point +P they will make a coyote dead. Some guys like Mil-Surps that you could put more into and still not have anything accurate or worth much. I can and do afford others, but the little carbine is reliable and a fun shooter.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 08:46:03 AM »
first off i said most people not everybody. thats fine that you dont like them but the majority of people that dont like them (not everybody) have never owned them or shot them.  none of the one that ive had experiance with ( two pistols a .9 and a .40 and two carbine again a .9 and a .40) have had any FTF or FTE. all i can say is i like mine there fun range toys. of course YMMV
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »
ill go both ways. Ive handled and shot there handguns and would not own one. I do own a 40 carbine and its a good gun. I got it from a buddy who owed me some money. It sat for about a year as i thought it to was junk. One day i got a hair up my but and decided to play with it. I ran over 500 rounds through it that day and most were odds and ends cast and jacketed rounds with many different nose profiles and everything from ammo that was so hot i should have pulled the bullets to plinking stuff i had made up for my 646 smith revoler that wouldnt run in my other .40 autos. It ran everybit of it without one malfunction. Ive probably put a couple thousand more rounds through it since and other then one cleaning wasnt touched. It NEVER missed a beat. Right now it sits proped up against the wall in my bedroom. I trust it enough to trust my familys life with it. its about as ugly as they come but it sure does go bang every time.
blue lives matter

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 03:44:23 AM »
Was in the local shop and saw two unbelivably priced .40 and 9mm auto's. Both were Hi-Point. At first glance the price seemed like something foreign made, but their website sounded good, 100% USA made, and have a lifetime warranty. Anybody got any input on these?

If you strole on over to http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?board=221.0 which is the Hi-Point room here, you probably would get more answers to your Hi-Point questions.

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 04:28:30 AM »
Well it does seem that many people are happy with their carbines, but this was a handgun question.
  With a simple blow-back, unlocked breech, a very heavy breechblock is needed to provide the inertia to resist early opening with high pressure cartridges. In a carbine it is easy enough to provide a heavy breechblock without excessive total gun weight. When scaled down to handgun size the blow-back design slams the breechblock to the rear very rapidly, putting a lot of stress on all parts. The old Astra 9mm's got away with a blow-back design by building all parts of the best steel, properly heat treated to resist the battering of a 9mm with unlocked breech.
 Does Hi-Point build it's handguns of the very best heat treated steel? ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline kitchawan kid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 10:58:29 AM »
I too have the carbine,9mm, and in 3yrs. and many, many rounds,no problems.I have gotten rid of a marlin 45,a Iver johnson m1,a calico 100,too many problems.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »
Was back in the shop today and looked at them again, and I have to agree they are pretty ugly guns. I looked at many others Ruger, S&W, and saw a lot that I would rather go ahead and spend the money for, some of these days that is.... ;D

If you strole on over to http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?board=221.0 which is the Hi-Point room here, you probably would get more answers to your Hi-Point questions.

Thanks, didn't know there was one. ;)

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 06:15:12 AM »
You know, I'm just a cheapskate... ;D ;D Now that being said, I'm looking for an automatic pistol to keep in the home for defense, and to carry out on trips and such. I won't be shooting round after round at the range with it, and I don't care really if it is a pretty gun or not, so the Hi- point is looking better all the time especially toward my billfold. I've never owned an auto, actually I have only one handgun, a .22 revolver, so I just might get me one... ;D

Offline Jake McCracken

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »
I have heard the Junk comments from alot of people. BUT I personally know a guy from another forum that tried his best to "kill" a hi-point pistol. Burried it, drowned it, even left it in the cat box for a while. Still functioned flawlessly...

I don't own a hi point pistol. I do however own a 9mm carbine. Deadly accurate at 100yds, and not once has it malfunctioned. Ugly? Yes, but this ain't no fashion show!

I would definately trust my life to it...

That being said, I have heard a TON of stories that would keep me from getting another one. Sounds like they have a ton of lemons with a few peaches mixed in, and I'm not lucky enough to get two peaches in a row!
Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Offline LCR

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 02:14:09 PM »
 One of the main reasons this country is in the sorry condition it's in is because people don't give a crap about quality anymore, what's pride of ownership? The only question on everybody's mind and lips is "How much is it?" "I don't care if it's a pile of crap, it's cheap." It doesn't matter if it jams, I only paid XXX dollars for it." "It's O.K. if I get screwed and it don't work, it was only XXX dollars."  what in the world?
The field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 05:25:39 PM »
Every one I know that has one of the 9mm carbines absolutely loves them.
As long as FMJ round nose ammo is used, the ones I have experienced were utterly reliable,
and reasonably accurate. hollow points were a no go. Groups run 3-6 inches at 50 meters.
I have not had any terrible experiences with the high points. A friend of mine keeps one of the
"Blocky" 9mm handguns in his car and actually shoots it a lot. 147 grain fmj round nose with no jams.
I have heard lots of bad press on these guns but my experience with them just has not been bad.
If I can ever find another one of the 9mm carbines, at a reasonable price,
I will buy it with no reservations. the only bad thing I can say about them
is the low capacity magazine. Low price does not always equate to junk.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 05:19:59 AM »
If you have never owned a Hi Point then you have absolutely no credible opinion on them.
I will not venture an opinion on the pistols but I do own and shoot a 995 carbine regularly and like it.I've experienced no problem with it of any kind.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 10:01:48 AM »
I own (2) 995 carbines,  one topped with a BSA Red Dot scope and the other with original iron sight.  Both are excellent weapons and very accurate out to 100 yards.  I also have a C9 9mm pistol that is very reliable and accurate enough to hit a man-sized target at 25 yards. 
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline S.S.

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »
Another point that has been missed is that a lot of folks can't
afford a high dollar gun. Hi-point fills this need
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 02:26:18 AM »
I also used to believe the reports about Hi Point firearms and perhaps the earlier models did have some problems, but for the last couple of years they have become a "best seller" with their lifetime guaranty and no questions asked policy about ownership.  Now they provide excellent service often providing free accessories with  guns sent in for service.  Try and find one of their carbines without paying premium dollars.  Recently I succumbed to an urge for a 9mm carbine and wonder why I didn't buy one before.  After several hundred rounds of different types of ammo and never a jam or misfire, this "fun gun" has become a very popular rifle for my kids and grandchildren.  May try one of the pistols later.

My first trip to the range and with a very strong wind, I was able to shoot 10 rounds in a little over an inch group at 25 yards.  With open sights and 66 year old eyes, I could not have been happier.  Because of wind, I did not try any longer shots. Next trip to the range proved to be similar to the first except anything past 50 yards are difficult for me without a scope.  Now ordered one and await the delivery.

Why?  Because it is an inexpensive (not cheap) way to add to my variety of guns and keep the younger shooters in my family interested in this sport.  It does have it's limitations as any rifle in 9mm will, but do not sell them short.  Just read the many reviews of their products in any of the gun magazines and you will find very positive comparisons to the "Name Rifles" for sale at much higher prices.

oldhunter

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 05:04:30 AM »
are they ugly , yep . but they don't deserve the bashing. I had a 9mm carbine , which i sold to a buddy and still own a .40 handgun . They are more accurate than guns costing 10 times as much , hi point is a great American company that backs there product 110% . I called to purchase some missing accessories for the carbine which i purchased used , they told me they would ship them out asap , I asked how much ? the nice lady on the phone said free and they arrived the next day . How many of you guys ever had a company send you free accessories for a used firearm ?? with a pure blow back action the handguns do require a firm grip so they aren't for everybody !! First time out with the .40 it put my pt92 to shame as far as accuracy goes , I paid a hole $125 for it used .

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 06:46:50 AM »
After reading all of these posts it looks like Hi Point stands behind thier product and they have a loyal following.
if you want to roll the dice and get one that from the looks of it will be 70% problem free.  then roll the dice.
If not......

Offline Rex in OTZ

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 08:12:31 AM »
I like The 995 I have had for the last 5 years, has held up better than I thought, I live in the Artic Northwest Alaska region, its been carried many a mile by snowmobile (like the small size) if I had a .45 caliber I'd carry one.
This 995 has cycled thrugh FMJ's and lead, and hollowpoint without a hitch, it has reliably fired (accuretly) at -34F (red fox) I like the size the sight's and packability with ATI stock, I did wish it was a little more robust in some areas but for what I paid for It ($14.73) I wont part with it unless I find a heaver caliber Hi-Point 
The warranty cant be beat, makes craftsman warranty look bad in comparrission, super helpfull folks  ;D.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »
I have a six year old 9mm C pistol that works fine. As far as the pistol vs. the carbine, it looks to me they have the same action. At CCW classes a few years ago my low priced. not cheap HI POINT out shot the other nine guys not once but twice. The fellow next to me had a Lexus, I mean Kimber. It was nice and shinney- looked like something Patton would carry not like my little ugly duckling that out shot him! The instructor asked what pistol it was, he was impressed with the HI POINT. Most people that have trouble with HI POINTs would be troubled with any auto pistol because they limp wrist them.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte