Author Topic: Hi-point firearms??  (Read 12018 times)

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Hi-point firearms??
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 05:09:49 AM »
Those "other 9 guys", must be poor shots. ::)

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »
Those "other 9 guys", must be poor shots. ::)
You could be right.  However,  eye shot is apparently a pretty good shooter.  You can slam Hi Point Firearms all you want....fact is,  they're one of the best buys on the firearms' market today.   ;D
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline S.S.

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »
they must be pretty popular because I sure can't find another one (carbine)?
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2009, 07:30:35 AM »
same goes for the pistols, my local shop literally cannot keep them on the shelf.

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 07:00:22 AM »
I bought a 9mm pistol the other day, I love this little gun. Shoots very well, after some sight adjustment. Very pleased with it, the only complaint I have is the looks, but for the money they ain't so bad.

Offline dks7895

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 04:12:07 AM »
I own a 995 carbine and love it.  They are cheaply made yes...but I would not call them junk.  They carry an unlimited lifetime warranty, and their customer service is excellent.  I have run about 1000 rounds thru mine with zero jams and/or issues of any kind.  It is very accurate, and a blast to shoot. 

If anyone else out there is so frustrated with their Hi-Point they want to shoot it...DO NOT!  Let them fix it under warranty...

For warranty, service, parts, or accessories, contact: info@hi-pointfirearms.net or
call 1-866-948-4867.
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline varmitbob

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 05:59:02 AM »
I can not speak for all Hi-point 9mm pistols, but I have two of them.  Both of them do not like the Winchester White Box ammo.  This round is one of the longer 9mm rounds.  It loves the CCI Blazer ammo, which is much shorter.  I started handloading them with the recent shortage of ammo.  I use hollowpoints, and they feed flawlessly.  I also have a .40 and it seems to eat anything without any issues.  I think that people use ammo that is not favorable to the design of the C9, and mistake it for a jam-o-matic.  I know I was very perplexed with mine.  I first got it, and put several boxes through without an issue.  I got a couple boxes of the Winchester White box, and it started to Jam.  I bought some CCI ammo again, and it worked great. I measured the length of the round, and sure enough it was longer.  If you do not mind handloading, or finding the shorter 9mm rounds, this is a great gun.

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
I've heard others say the same thing about Winchester White Box 9mm ammo,  even Hi Point says it not the best choice for their guns.  Both my C9 & 995 have had about 600+ rounds of the Winchester fired through them.  With my C9 I had some jamming issues up to about 200 rounds,  after that it was no longer a problem.  Same with my 995,  after the initial break-in the problem went away. 
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 06:29:58 AM »
The one thing that never fails on these internet sights about firearms, is that there is always someone who has a $100 dollar pistol that out-shoots the $1000 dollar pistol and it never breaks or JAMS! Now that is the biggest Crock of BULL Crap I read on gun forums.

I put all those cheap handguns into the same catagory.....Hope and pray when you need it the most!!!
I will not bet my life on a piece of JUNK, yes I said JUNK because that is what they simply are compared to quality made handguns.

One of my younger relatives was going to purchase a used Hi-Point 9mm Luger off of a co-worker for a $100 bucks! He called me up and asked my opinion of the pistol, I told him that it was not a good pistol to have unless you were just adding to a collection etc. I told him to ask the guy why he is getting rid of the pistol. His friend told him, he was purchasing a MP-40 and I told my relative to go purchase a GLOCK or Springfield.

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »
The one thing that never fails on these internet sights about firearms, is that there is always someone who has a $100 dollar pistol that out-shoots the $1000 dollar pistol and it never breaks or JAMS! Now that is the biggest Crock of BULL Crap I read on gun forums.

I put all those cheap handguns into the same catagory.....Hope and pray when you need it the most!!!
I will not bet my life on a piece of JUNK, yes I said JUNK because that is what they simply are compared to quality made handguns.

One of my younger relatives was going to purchase a used Hi-Point 9mm Luger off of a co-worker for a $100 bucks! He called me up and asked my opinion of the pistol, I told him that it was not a good pistol to have unless you were just adding to a collection etc. I told him to ask the guy why he is getting rid of the pistol. His friend told him, he was purchasing a MP-40 and I told my relative to go purchase a GLOCK or Springfield.
  Have you ever owned a Hi Point firearm or even shot one?  Are you speaking of your experince with a Hi Point or are you assuming they're a junk gun because of their moderate price?

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 11:10:16 AM »
I think the main thing is run alot of rounds through any gun you will be carrying,I have a 1911 I must have put in $1000.00 into and it has had problems,and a cheap Ruger that has yet to miss a beat.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Duckdog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 12:49:24 PM »
I have a lot of different flavors of handguns, and my hi points shoot just as good as all of the rest.  You are always going to find someone who feels they need to justify paying a hefty price for a gun, reloading press, tv, or whatever.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so take it for what you figure it's worth.  A couple of things they have going for them if nothing else is: American Made, and Lifetime Warranty.  Those two alone stand for a lot.

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 02:19:20 AM »
A couple of things they have going for them if nothing else is: American Made, and Lifetime Warranty.  Those two alone stand for a lot.

Amen to that!

Offline double R

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2009, 11:58:05 AM »
for all the nay-sayers out there i own stock guns -custom guns.cheap guns high dollar guns. but when i want to have fun it's my 995 carbine.had for over 5yrs no trouble yet.

Offline varmitbob

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2009, 03:43:42 PM »
I think alot of the view on the pistols depends on the person.  I feel as confident with my Hi-point as I do with my S&W 9mm.  The only difference is that my S&W will eat any ammo, and I have to feed my Hi-point specific ammo to make sure it is 100% reliable.  Some people buy a gun, and if it does not work with the ammo they bought at the store, they do not want anything to do with it.  If this reduces their comfort level, then they should not carry the gun.  You need to be confident with your equipment.

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2010, 04:11:10 AM »
Gun Test Mag is like Mikey, they never like anything I can afford, but they generally like the Hi-Point products. I'm thing of getting one to carry around the farm. If it gets dropped in the mud & horse poop. I would love a Walther, CZ or Bersa and would pop for one if I had a serious use. No concealed carry in my state.

Offline royalranger

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »
I have  2 hi points  a 45acp and a 40 smith.  both shoot great  i put about 700 rounds apeice ther them within a few weeks  (i reload )  and have had  0 problems   .  True not the best looking but both are good shooter and do not jam  . i had a kimber that I had to trwik to get a good load with a 200 gr hard cast anbd shorten the recoil spring  not the hipoints.  just my two cents   praise God

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
I was needing a gun quick to use as a trainging aid in class.  And since the kids would be abusing it and I did not have any .45ACP ammo I graqbbed a Hi--Point .45.  Now four years later, after many dropings on the floor, much abuse by kids in class.  Then my getting some factory ammo.  Then putting a few hundred rounds of factory and handloads through this ugly gun with never a missfire.  I am well pleased with it's performance and reliablility.  Yes, it is ugly.  I would like an external hammer, but hay it shoots good and is accurate.  Recoil is moderate as well.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »
I have a six year old 9mm C pistol that works fine. As far as the pistol vs. the carbine, it looks to me they have the same action. At CCW classes a few years ago my low priced. not cheap HI POINT out shot the other nine guys not once but twice. The fellow next to me had a Lexus, I mean Kimber. It was nice and shinney- looked like something Patton would carry not like my little ugly duckling that out shot him! The instructor asked what pistol it was, he was impressed with the HI POINT. Most people that have trouble with HI POINTs would be troubled with any auto pistol because they limp wrist them.

The question is,if I fire 5000 rounds through that Kimber and 5000 rounds through that Hi Point,who gets more jams. Which one actually breaks. You may say you dont plan on firing 5000 rounds,but the CHANCE of malfunction is probably greater with the Hi Point. What really worries me is the Zamak. I was considering buying one just for plinking until I found out it was Zamak. Zamak has its place. Its fine for small cast,WEAK parts. Its also good on my old lathe for the gears and certain fittings. They were made out of Zamak so that if you crashed the carriage into the head stock or bound up the chuck a cheap part would break or a tooth would strip off a gear. That was great back in the day. Now its a royal pain in the but as some parts are no longer available (its a miracle that the company that bought the company that made it has ANY parts for it) and some parts that are available,either from ebay or from the company itself are hideously expensive.

I worry that the Zamak is not going to hold up well. My experience is that Zamak is less durable than steel or aluminum or plastics for that matter.

Offline LHS

• Jesus Reigns!
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2010, 03:59:23 AM »
Another point that has been missed is that a lot of folks can't
afford a high dollar gun. Hi-point fills this need

My brother is just such a person. He loves to shoot my M&P's, but can not afford one (just went on diability). He bought a C9 9mm pistol, last summer and after he shot it a few hundred times, we tried to jam it by fast firing. I couldn't do it. It did seem to like the el-cheapo ammo better than my M&P's do, which is a good thing for him!On a minus, it did not shoot well my high power reloads my M&P loves!

Ugly - yes.
Cheap - Yes.
Shoots well- yes.
Accurate - yeah. Will it outshoot my M&P's - doubt it, but it will stop an intruder anywhere in his house.
Carry weapon- no thanks for me.
Fun to shoot - yes.

My overall opinion? Fun to shoot, looks bad, but will perform good and hit what you aim at up to 25 yards (we did not try to shoot it farther).

Giving Thanks To God Both in Plenty and in Want!

Offline LHS

• Jesus Reigns!
  • Contributor
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2010, 04:05:15 AM »
Anybody remember the all steel ones when they first came out?

Now there was a big, ugly, heavy piece of scrap metal. I shot one that was number 12 off the assembly line. Every 20-30 rounds the firing pin would break! Called them up and they sent the owner a box of 24 replacement pins!

I wish I had that gun though. It was good for a laugh when you tried to hold it on target as the barrel was heavier than the rest of the gun or so it felt like. It wanted to point downward at all times! Shooting it was like lifting weights in a gym. Might even be a collectors item now....

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2010, 07:28:20 PM »

I disagree. Im sure there are a few out there. Similarly,there are a few people with Wilson Combat 1911s that jam constantly and cant hit the broad side of a barn. Like the reliable and accurate 100 pistols though,I bet they are pretty rare.

Offline 45LCshoooter

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2010, 05:23:15 PM »
I don't think they're a smart concealed carry gun, you can get a Rossi for comparable price and it is a quality revolver that is not nearly has bulky or heavy. That said, it is better to be armed and broke than to get robbed on the day before you make it to get a quality piece. You don't have to wait til you can afford a Glock, Ruger makes good guns too.
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline 45LCshoooter

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2010, 05:25:36 PM »
I think the action makes them rather bulky and heavy for carry. Better a Rossi revolver til you can get something more suitable. Still, better to be armed than a victim.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2010, 06:15:41 PM »
I think the action makes them rather bulky and heavy for carry. Better a Rossi revolver til you can get something more suitable. Still, better to be armed than a victim.

What Rossi revolver can you get for 150 dollars? For that price though,If that was all I had to spend,I think I might start looking at the surplus market. A Tokerov does not cost much more. For that matter,a Nagant will set you back around 100. While its far from ideal,and many say they are underpowered,there are plenty of dead Nazis that Im sure thought otherwise in their last few seconds of life. There are some very solid surplus guns for rather cheap if you know what to look for. The problem is of course,you have to know what to look for. I dont expect most people in the market for a sub 200 dollar self defense gun to know. I know Armscor makes a revolver for less than 200 but Ive heard bad things about their quality control compared with their 1911s. Still,I do expect that if you get a bad one I expect they will fix it. They are known for their good customer service with regard to their 1911s.

Failing all else,I saw a cap and ball black powder revolver in the bargain cave at Cabellas. You get five good shots from it assuming you keep an empty under the hammer.   ;D

Offline 45LCshoooter

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2010, 08:50:30 AM »
I could be wrong, but i seem to remember seeing used Rossi 38's under 200. Original poster quoted 180, which isn't 150, either.

I'm actually about to shop around for a carbine to tinker with.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »
I could be wrong, but i seem to remember seeing used Rossi 38's under 200. Original poster quoted 180, which isn't 150, either.

I'm actually about to shop around for a carbine to tinker with.

But honestly,thats going to take some effort and luck to find. Armscor makes a 180 revolver,but Ive heard enough about them having problems (serious problems that would be an issue for someone who does not know a lot about guns as they might not even realize there is a problem until it does not work) that I dont think they are suitable for self defense uses.

I think 200 is close enough to 150 though that if you could find a decent alternative to a Highpoint at that price,it would be realistic to suggest that people try to come up with the extra money to buy it instead. I'm actually rather dissapointed that the Armscor revolvers seem to have the problems they do. If you can make a pretty decent 1911 for 380 dollar you should be able to make a halfway decent revolver for 200. The lower quality metal really isn't a big deal. Its probably better than the metal that guns were made out of 100 years ago. Clone one of the older reliable designs that was built with steel of comparable strength to what your using and you should be good to go.

Offline 45LCshoooter

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »
Hmmm, Fobus actually makes a holster for these...now that's interesting...
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline LHS

• Jesus Reigns!
  • Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2011, 01:16:27 AM »
I'm still of the thought that these are okay guns but not for me to own. I'll stick to my M&P pistols, btu will still shoot my brother's C9 HiPoint any chance I get.

I wonder if he heard about the WWB ammo issue. I'll have to tell him, and see if he has had any issues with it.

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »
I have a hi point JCP .40 S&W . it has never failed to feed or had any other issues . Its the only pistol i own i got it to carry while hiking , but it has become a favorite for me to take to the range . darn good gun for $170 .  How is that junk? Its bulky and a bit odd looking but dose the job and is very accurate due to the fixed barrel im guessing .

The 10 round 9mm pistol mags do have issues but other than that hi points are a good value and are US made .When you call customer service to order accessors or something you get someone in ohio that speaks English not someone in India that you can't understand .