Author Topic: Fiber optic sight  (Read 647 times)

Offline cgoff

• Trade Count: (1)
Fiber optic sight
« on: February 17, 2009, 06:21:58 PM »
  If your looking for an easy way to upgrade your bead sight on your plain barreled shotgun, try one of these. Truglo® Glo-Dot II™.  I just purchased one for my turkey gun.  It just slides onto the barrel and has a V notch on the front that your existing bead fits against.  It fits very tight on the barrel and is much better point of aim than the original bead. You can find them at Bass pro shop or Cabelas web site.

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
Re: Fiber optic sight
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 12:48:54 AM »
I have used one for a couple of years on a 12 gauge coyote/turkey barrel with extended screw in chokes.  I like the low light versatility of this sight for no light late evening coyote hunting.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline bsteele

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:01:13 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I just bought my son the Nef/HR Auto 5 12ga and ordered one from Basspro online with reward points  ;D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:15:49 AM »
Demonstrates a major misunderstanding of the proper use of a shotgun if we're talking about wingshooting. If aimed fire at stationary targets like deer or turkeys then a front and rear sight are more appropriate.

I am constantly amazed even at the skeet range at folks that want to be very much aware of that front bead on a shotgun while wingshooting. To properly bring down moving game with a shotgun you need to concentrate on the target not the barrel or sight on that barrel. Doing so will improve your hit percentage if you forget there even is a front sight on the barrel. You only want to be marginally aware the barrel is even there in your periferal vision.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cgoff

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »
 Not sure how it demonstrates anything, as I stated I placed it on my turkey gun , which is used to shoot stationary objects.  Also when wingshooting although I do not focus on the front bead I still like to know where it is.

Offline kernman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:12:13 AM »
cgoff,

do you know if it would fit on a 20 gauge rifled slug barrel? The front sight is elevated about 1/2 inch about the barrel. I know the standard bit sits a whole lot lower.

I have wanted to get a fiber optic front sight but have'nt been able to find one that would fit. And so far no replies to my question on this forum.

Offline cgoff

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 06:42:12 PM »
As long as it's a bead front sight it will work. If it's a ramp style it will not