Author Topic: mortar sling cart.  (Read 1439 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
mortar sling cart.
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:03:55 PM »
  has anyone had any luck with building a mortar sling cart? I want to rebuild mine to be a 5/8 scale sling cart with 36 in wheels.  any pics?? come on cannonman I know you have a pic or something.

rick bryan
 3rd va co B
  N-Ssa

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: mortar sling cart.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »
I put an axel (removeable -  all-thread) at the bottom and at the end of the mortar base.  Slide on two 10" wheels and nuts to hold them on.

Then I took a 3' or 4' long piece of conduit and slid into a hole drilled on the other end.  This became a handle - wheels way far away with most of the weight.  I went to the range, carrying in an ammo crate with 4.5" rounds and my wife followed towing the mortar!  ;D

I wish I'd taken pictures of the looks we got.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »
this is what i have now, but i am rebuilding it.

image hosting by [url

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »
That looks more like the back end of a mortar wagon than a sling cart. 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
rick,
 Antique Ordnance Publishers
PO Box 610434   Port Huron, MI  48061
Tel: 810 987-7749   Cell: 810 444-9710   email: AOP434@webtv.net

No. 104

http://lassengunsmithing.com/AOPCatalog.htm

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 01:25:51 PM »
yea , I built it to move the mortar around easier, and it makes life alot nicer. its not really modeled after any real peice, but i like the one in this pic.

Mortar cart

and i didnt know if anyone here had tried such a thing. I know there are only 2 of us in the NSSA that use such a thing, but man they sure are a head turner. lol, I plan to use the wheels there in the pic and just make the frame a little bit stronger.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »
Mortar wagons like this could carry one 10 inch mortar or two 8 inch mortars.  These wagons were also used to carry boxes of ammunition and artillery barrels. 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »
  has anyone had any luck with building a mortar sling cart? I want to rebuild mine to be a 5/8 scale sling cart with 36 in wheels.  any pics?? come on cannonman I know you have a pic or something.

rick bryan
 3rd va co B
  N-Ssa

Rick,
 I've got photos of a sling cart, (which is a huge affair) and have read of a hand sling cart (the frame is made of iron). They were both intended to move artillery pieces slung underneath their frames. I have never heard of a mortar sling cart, which, by the way, doesn't mean they didn't exist.

THE

HAND-BOOK OF ARTILLERY,

FOR THE

SERVICE OF THE UNITED STATES,

(ARMY AND MILITIA.)

WITH THE

MANUAL OF HEAVY ARTILLERY, INCLUDING
THAT OF THE NEW IRON CARRIAGE.

BY

JOSEPH ROBERTS,
MAJOR 4TH REGT. ART., U. S. A., AND COLONEL 3D PENN. ART.

FIFTH EDITION,
REVISED AND GREATLY ENLARGED.

NEW YORK:
D. VAN NOSTRAND, 192 BROADWAY.

PREFACE TO FIFTH EDITION.

The following compilation was prepared for the instruction of non-commissioned officers and privates of the Artillery School, where it was in successful use as a text-book. Much of the matter is taken from Burns’ Questions and Answers on Artillery, Gibbon’s Artillerist’s Manual, Heavy Artillery Tactics, the Ordnance Manual, and Kingsbury’s Artillery and Infantry.
The compiler acknowledges his indebtedness to a work on Ordnance and Gunnery, by Captain Benton, for a portion of the matter on Rifle Cannon.

FORT MONROE, VA., 1863.

3.  What is the MORTAR-WAGON designed for?
The transportation of siege mortars and their beds, or of guns, or large shot and shells.
83. Describe this wagon.
The limber and wheels are the same as those of the siege-gun carriage. The body consists of a platform of rails and transoms, resting on an axle tree, the two middle rails being prolonged to form the stock; six stakes or standards are inserted in sockets on the side of this platform and used to secure the load.
The side rails are prolonged to the rear, and furnish pivots for a roller placed immediately in rear of the platform. This roller has holes for the insertion of hand-spikes, and is used in loading the wagon; the guns, mortars, &c., being drawn up on the stock.
A muzzle bolster on the stock near the limber, and a breech-hurter near the hind part of the wagon, are provided and used when long pieces are transported on it.
Mortars are usually carried mounted on their beds.

84.  What is the use of the HAND-CART?
For the transportation of light stores in siege and garrison service.
85.  Describe it.
It consists of a light body with shafts, mounted on two wheels. The shafts are joined together at the ends, and supported immediately in front of the body by iron legs.

80.  What is the use of the HAND SLING-CART?
It is used in siege and garrison service for transporting artillery short distances.
87.  Describe it.
It is a two-wheeled carriage made entirely of iron, except the pole, which is of oak. The axle-tree is arched to make it stronger, and connected with the pole by strong wrought iron straps and braces. In the rear of the axle a projection is welded to receive the end of a strong hook. The end of the pole terminates in a ferule and an eye. The eye is for the purpose of attaching to the cart, when necessary, a limber or a horse.
88.  How great are the weights that can be transported by this cart?
It should not be used habitually for heavier weights than about 4000 lbs., but in case of necessity a 24 or 32.pdr. gun may be transported on it. For heavier guns or material, the large sling-cart drawn by horses or oxen should be used.

Drewry's Bluff, Virginia (vicinity). Sling cart used in removing captured artillery.

Sling cart used in removing captured artillery from Fort Darling, April 1865.

Fig. 130 - Upper right corner, hand sling cart with iron frame and wheels.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 01:36:59 AM »
Civil war version of Mag wheels!   :D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 03:29:54 AM »
rampa room artillery,
   Are you sure that # 104  is not from a real piece? The 1862 Ord. manual calls for such a small hand cart for moving guns and weights under 4000 lbs. Though it is of mostly welded iron.

Bob

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 08:41:36 AM »
No i am not sure, I have not had the chance to look at plans 104, I figured with the name it was built much like a hand dolly cart.  I have asked around and all i can find on how they moved these 24 mortars was by hand but 4 guys can not carry this gun into battle by hand. and the amo. yes they were siege guns but the battle of petersburg it talks about them being moved forward to the rim of hte crator as to almost drop shells on the union.  there must have been a way to move these guns faster with out a large travel wagon.  I will just have to suck it up and buy print 104 and look at it.   thanks

I will let you know what i find when i buy it .

rick bryan
  3rd va co B

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 09:17:14 AM »
Rick, The coehorns were probably brought as close to the fortification that they were going to be used in with wagons, and then carried the rest of the way.  These wagons did not have to be mortar wagons, but could have been.  These mortars were mean't to be fired from platforms in trenches or other fortifications to keep the enemy ducking for cover while their side moved their trenches forward.  The action at the Battle of the Crater was an exception brought on by the crisis at hand.  I imagine that adrenalin probably played a part in getting the coehorns moved.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 01:48:06 AM »
Civil war version of Mag wheels!   :D

........and heavy mags at that; if the 60-inch wheel used on a U.S. siege carriage weighed about 404 pounds, then what would one of these monsters have weighed?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 02:28:18 AM »
Here is a not so good drawing of the Civil War mortar WAGON.
Max