Author Topic: BSA Handgun scopes ?  (Read 817 times)

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
BSA Handgun scopes ?
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:08:32 AM »
Anyone used any of the BSA Edge handgun scopes, 2-7 X28 and 2-7X32?
Would be using on light recoil contender.
 Or should I just double my money and move up to better optics.
I do need 2-7 or 2-8 power.

Thanks, TC
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: BSA Handgun scopes ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »
What you REALLY need is  Bushnell Trophy 2-6.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
I'm with GB. Spend more spend once
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:19:51 AM »
Wishfull thinking on my part that I might get away with a cheap scope on a low recoil gun.

Thanks for knocking me up-side-the-head.

At my age why haven't I learned yet, "you gets what you pays for", with few exceptions.  :-[

Thanks  TC

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:40:55 AM »
BSA scopes have a generally VERY POOR reputation both for reliability and performance. Poor optics are poor optics and making a poor optic have higher magnification doesn't mean you can see any better with it and often has just the opposite effect.

The Bushnell Trophy 2-6 scope seems to me as clear and bright as the Elite 2-6. I have no trouble seeing bullet holes with it at 100 yards from every round I've used it on. It is an excellent quality scope and you can shoot as tight of groups with it as you and your gun are capable of shooting. For sure a poor quality optic with slightly more magnification is not going to help.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:52:55 AM »
Thanks GB, Just ordered a Bushnell Trophy 2-6 to put on my 22 Hornet barrel.

I have a TC 2.5-7X28 on my 357 Max barrel and it has worked well for target and hunting.

Just didn't want to spend that much money for a scope for the hornet.

I trust your experience which is certainly more extensive than mine regarding handgun scopes.

Thanks Again, TC 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAl52

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »
I was wondering how the Bushnell would compare with the Weaver 2.5 x 8 scope as i am thinking about doing the same thing for a 22 hornet barrel. Thanks Al
My hair is turnin White
My neck has always been Red
My collar is still Blue
Yes you can say I have always been Red White and Blue

Offline vincewarde

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 03:40:30 PM »
I have had very good luck with BSA Scopes WHEN I HAVE BOUGHT THOSE WITH GOOD REVIEWS.  So far not one failure out of about 10 I own.  This includes a 2x handgun scope on my 7 lb 8x57 Mauser.  No experience with the one you mentioned.

I would check the reviews and by the best scope you can reasonable afford.
"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 02:09:10 AM »
I have had very good luck with BSA Scopes WHEN I HAVE BOUGHT THOSE WITH GOOD REVIEWS.  So far not one failure out of about 10 I own.  This includes a 2x handgun scope on my 7 lb 8x57 Mauser.  No experience with the one you mentioned.

You do have a good point. There are times when a good scope can be found by reading reviews for less money
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 04:53:42 AM »
BSA scopes have a generally VERY POOR reputation both for reliability and performance. Poor optics are poor optics and making a poor optic have higher magnification doesn't mean you can see any better with it and often has just the opposite effect.

The Bushnell Trophy 2-6 scope seems to me as clear and bright as the Elite 2-6. I have no trouble seeing bullet holes with it at 100 yards from every round I've used it on. It is an excellent quality scope and you can shoot as tight of groups with it as you and your gun are capable of shooting. For sure a poor quality optic with slightly more magnification is not going to help.

GB, Got the Bushnell Trophy 2-6 yesterday, very clear and bright. I like the crosshairs better than my TC 2.5-7.
In fact I decided to mount the trophy on my 357 Max barrel and put the TC scope on the hornet.

You do have a good point. There are times when a good scope can be found by reading reviews for less money
Not a personal attack on you or your opinion or your method used to purchase products, But:
I have never put much faith in reviews, they are just opinions and as we all know everyone has one.
Who knows who writes these anonymous reviews anyway.
Would rather base my selection on first hand knowledge from people I know and can trust,
who have used the item in question.

Thomas Jefferson