Author Topic: holster for ruger sp101 3 and 1/16 barrel  (Read 2654 times)

Offline pennhunter08

• Trade Count: (0)
holster for ruger sp101 3 and 1/16 barrel
« on: February 19, 2009, 05:00:14 AM »
Do you know of any decent leather holsters for the 3 and 1/16 sp101? I'm open to belt or shoulder carry. I'm not a big guy, so I don't see IWB as being a good option with this gun.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: holster for ruger sp101 3 and 1/16 barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 05:09:55 AM »
Hunter makes a really nice, inexpensive holster for the SP101. It's called the Versa Fit and it is Model 45101. The pictures show mine with a 2.5" 38 Special, but it also fits my 4" 32 Mag and 3 1/16" 357 Mag like a glove.

Edit: had wrong holster info the first time around.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »
Have you ever really put the gun in your pants on the strong side and canted it forward then walked around with it like that for a day?
It might change your thinking.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:25:24 AM »
Have you ever really put the gun in your pants on the strong side and canted it forward then walked around with it like that for a day?
It might change your thinking.
Blessings

That isn't an inside the pants kinda holster nor does it have any cant. What you smoking there Bill?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mjh

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:43:35 AM »
Simply Rugged Pancake holster??  Google em and take a look.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »
Have you ever really put the gun in your pants on the strong side and canted it forward then walked around with it like that for a day? It might change your thinking.

William,

If you're asking me that question, the answer is no, I don't carry it in that holster, in my pants pocket. I usually carry it in that Konig bag that the revolver and the holster are sitting on. That's because we can't concealed carry in Wisconsin. I will say though, that I can put the entire holstered revolver in my right side pants pocket and carry it all day very comfortably around the house or property, or when I go answer the door for example. Only thing that pops out of my pants ;) is the end of the grips, but my shirt easily conceals that.
Mike

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 01:35:25 AM »
Well, so much for my commication skills. I knew what I :-[ was trying to say :-[ :P.
The point I was trying to make was that I have holsters but very seldom use them. I have an IW scabbard and I find it useless.
My thought is if you try, for a day, simply sticking the weapon---from a Sig 220 to a Walther--inside the waisteband of your pants, slightly too the rear of center of your side and canting it forward too angle of your desire, you might find it is more comfortable and concealable than you thought.
How bout that for a world class run-on sentence!
I don't have to smoke anything to do a poor job of communicating most of the time. :D
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline pennhunter08

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 04:41:44 PM »
I just ordered one of the Simply Rugged holsters, I'll let you know how it works. They have some nice stuff on their site, good prices too.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 05:34:08 PM »
When I do that they tend to slide down and out my pants leg. Perhaps just cuz of the way I'm built or whatever but a holster attached to the belt is an absolute necessity for me if it goes inside my pants.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »
When I do that they tend to slide down and out my pants leg. Perhaps just cuz of the way I'm built or whatever but a holster attached to the belt is an absolute necessity for me if it goes inside my pants.
Hi graybeard it is called belly over-hang . I know I got bad Ha Ha. Honestly as stated before Simply Rugged makes one of the best holsters for the ruger sp101. Rob is a great guy to deal with as well @ simply rugged. Look at the chesty puller system that works well with any pancake holster. Mine has been super.
DaveShooter

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »
I have a 2.25" SP101 .357 Mag and I just got my Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake with inside out straps in the mail yesterday. Man is that thing comfortable! I have been wearing my revolver pretty much non stop since I got the holster
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:57:31 PM »
I have a 2.25" SP101 .357 Mag and I just got my Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake with inside out straps in the mail yesterday. Man is that thing comfortable! I have been wearing my revolver pretty much non stop since I got the holster
You can't beat Rob and his company Simply Rugged one of the best out there. I love mine thats for sure.
DaveShooter

Offline pennhunter08

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 02:13:02 AM »
I got the holster from Simply Rugged and it's everything you guys have been saying- Excellent! I've always used the cheapie nylon holsters, but I'm not sure I'll ever be satisfied with them after using the Simply Rugged. The fit is perfect, it's very comfortable, concealable and quick on the draw. I went for the inside the waistband loops and was surprised that the SP101 could carry so comfortably in that mode. More often than not I'll probably wear the holster outside the waistband, so I detached the loops, but it's nice to know I can snap them back on if I change my mind. In short it's a great holster. I think my GP100 is jealous.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 03:44:08 AM »
Congrats on a nice holster pennhunter08. Better get one for your GP100 too. You don't want any animosity growing between those two fine revolvers.  ;)
Mike