Author Topic: Ready dot gov commercials  (Read 438 times)

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Ready dot gov commercials
« on: February 20, 2009, 03:46:08 PM »
Has anyone else seen the creepy public service announcement commercials on TV lately for ready.gov?
I saw one tonight for the first time.  It shows a woman talking on a phone, and asks if you and your family will know what to do when the land lines go down and your cell phones don't work.  It then flashes to a screen that says to see more at ready.gov.

I read over the site and it is run by the DHS.  It talks about having emergency kits and lists lots of specific items.  Water, matches, canned food, dust masks, etc.

This isn't some conspiracy theory group, this is the federal government and these commercials are on prime time national television.  What are they not telling us?

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ready dot gov commercials
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »
What they are telling you is to be prepared for emergencies both natural and otherwise.

What they are not telling you is that DHS is looking for employees to take early retirement. This is more of a concern to me. Is the plan to reduce emergency response or maybe replace non political employees with political hacks.

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »
They are desensitizing the populous so that when BO gets tested next month (within the first 90 days wasn’t it)   then those effected will not panic quite as bad
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:49:14 AM »
In our litigation crazed society, I think the govt. is just covering their butts legally so that when there is another Katrina like disaster they can show proof they acted in good faith on behalf of the people.
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 03:30:24 AM »
The web site has been up for a few years.

Offline Westbound

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 04:27:19 AM »
I've spent several hours on their website.  There is a lot of good information there for emergency preparedness.  It covers all types of emergencies, from weather-related issues to nuclear or biological attacks.
I'm glad to see them at least attempting to get info out to the public.  Not many will listen, because they expect to fall back on the government anyway.  People assume that they have to be saved.  They don't want to take action to save themselves.

I think they are starting to promote the program a lot more now.  The likelihood of some form of attack is much greater now that we have changed leaders.  Remember that George W. Bush was tested within 9 months of being sworn in. In our current economic state, a major attack would damage us more than most terrorists could resist.