Author Topic: Lengthening Stock?  (Read 371 times)

Offline kyoung05

• Trade Count: (0)
Lengthening Stock?
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »
I have a synthetic stock SB2 Handi-rifle with a 20ga barrel, and I feel as though the stock is too short. The last time I was at the trap range, I couldn't hit anything with it at first. Then, one of the people I was shooting with said that he was shooting it with the bottom of the stock mounted against the very upper tip of his shoulder, which meant pressing his upper cheek (right below the eye) against the stock, to get it to aim properly. Before, when I held it as I normally would, I noticed I was looking down the top of the barrel - kind of a bird's eye view. Sure enough, when I tried it his way, I noticed the top of the barrel was flush with my line of sight, and all I could see was the bead.  I had no problem busting clays shooting it that way. The only problem is, it beats the heck out of your cheek bone - not the most fun thing to do for extended periods.

I thought that I might have a "youth" version, but I measured the LOP from the middle of the trigger guard to the back of the stock, and it measured about 14". So, I am thinking that lengthening the stock might help a bit in terms of getting a proper "sight picture."

Would something like the Limbsaver pad lengthen the stock at all? I am looking for about a 1" or so increase from where it is now, so the new pad would have to be about 2" thick overall, since the stock recoil pad is about 1" thick. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have. Thanks!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Lengthening Stock?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:28:48 AM »
Try slipping a Limbsaver on right over the stock recoil pad that is already mounted there.  That should add about the right amount of length for you.  You can always file a little off the corners of the stock pad, if you need to, to get the Limbsaver to slip on.  Otherwise, you could make your measurements and just cut a spacer from wood and screw it in in place of the stock pad and then use the Limbsaver.  I have also found that there are variations in the butt stocks.  A standard Pardner is 14 or so LOP, with a butt plate.  That stock, used with a slip on pad will give you a longer LOP than you will get with a standard butt stock that comes from the factory with a recoil pad already on it.

Another option might be to use a shoulder pad when shooting at the range.

I went from youth stocks to adult stock on all my guns for the same reason that you sight.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Lengthening Stock?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 04:55:29 AM »
You could also try to find a Morgan recoil pad that will fit your gun. the Morgan pad is adjustable,so the pad stays in the correct place on your shoulder,and the shotgun,is raised into your sighting plane.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"