Author Topic: Spotting scope power ?  (Read 600 times)

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
Spotting scope power ?
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:29:03 PM »
What is the best all around power for a spotting scope?  Was looking at 15-50x50 and 20-60x65, undecided, whats your opinion?

Will be used mostly at the range at 50-100 yds and for scouting in the 100-300 yd range.

Thanks, TC

The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Spotting scope power ?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:28:53 AM »
Magnification isn't the most important feature it's the quality of the optics. In fact higher power is worse if optics aren't absolutely top notch. I'd say 20X is plenty most of the time if the optics are good and if they are not good then as I said less is better.

I use a Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 and while it is HUGE with that monster 80mm objective it is absolutely the best range spotting scope I've looked thru. I keep it on 20x-25x almost all the time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
Thanks GB, I was thinking maybe a Bushnell Trophy 15-50X50.

What do you think? Or should I just go with a straight power?

Thanks, TC
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline ZRS-8x42

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Zen-Ray Optics
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 02:00:27 PM »
Magnification isn't the most important feature it's the quality of the optics. In fact higher power is worse if optics aren't absolutely top notch. I'd say 20X is plenty most of the time if the optics are good and if they are not good then as I said less is better.

I use a Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 and while it is HUGE with that monster 80mm objective it is absolutely the best range spotting scope I've looked thru. I keep it on 20x-25x almost all the time.

I use spotting scope for digiscoping a lot. I agree with GB that I used 20x power almost exclusively. If you are scouting for up to 300 yards, 20x power provides plenty of magnification.
Charles

Zen-Ray Optics
http://www.zen-ray.com/store

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »
In 1974 I bought a new Bushnell Spacemaster II spotting scope, and a 20x eyepiece.  It is not as small as the very small fixed power scopes of today, but it is daypack size.  I have carried it deer hunting and antelope hunting.  The 20x eyepiece is ideal, and I do not need to carry a tripod.

On the job I had a more expensive B&L variable up to 60X.  It was just about unusable on hot days because it would pickup all the heat weaves.  A good feature was the lens adapter for the 35MM camera.

I think because of its smaller size the Bushnell Spacemaster II with the 20x eyepiece was the better of the two.

While the technology has improved, and you think you might be packing it on a hunt, go to the different sites and compare weight.  You might have to visit manufactures websites to get the weight.  The extra ounces add up in a daypack. 

Now days I would go for one with a variable power eye piece, but avoid models that replicate a shoulder fired rocket launcher.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »
I think it is a mistake to go with smaller than a 60mm objective and if for range use only and not for taking on hunting trips into the back country a 70mm or larger is far better. I've looked thru a lot of people's spotting scopes on ranges in several states and they are uniformly NOT worth owning. I had one of the Bushnell Trophy spotting scopes several years ago and was NOT impressed.

If you are not going to buy a quality spotting scope then just use your rifle scope as it will do a better job than a cheap spotting scope.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 07:56:10 PM »

I have to agree for a hunting scope 60MM objective should be considered a minimum.  At the time I purchased my scope there was another Bushnell model there with a 50MM objective and I passed.  I just weighted my scope with lens covers and it came in at 37.25 ounces.  My scope has a 60MM objective.

I carry a pair of Leupold 10x40 binoculars for general viewing, and glassing game. 

I feel my scope is a good option for carrying and judging game.  I carried it in a pack for a week, judging a number of antelope, in lava rock, thorny bush country and it was not a burden.  My son and I would trade off using the spotting scope and binoculars. 

If I had a scope for the bench I would go for the 80MM+, with a variable power eyepiece.  Depending on the scope your are looking at 53oz + of dead weight.  But if you are shooting off the bench the extra weight is not an issue.

I have ignore manufacture offers of a mini-spotting scope and rifle scope.  I rather doubt the mini-spotting scope would offer an advantage over my binoculars.  If I was looking to replace my “Field” spotting scope I would check out the Leupold 15-45x60 Green Ring Sequoia Spotter which comes in at 35oz.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 03:01:50 AM »
I've got a cheap spotting scope.....it's okay at 100 yards, not to bad at 200 yards, and hard to see 30 caliber bullet holes at 300 yards.

I'm looking at upgrading too......the nikon prostaff with the 80mm objective seems pretty nice.....
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Streamer

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
I use a Celestron C-90 spotting scope.  90mm objective lens all mounted on a mini tripod..just set it on the shooting bench.  I  carry two eyepieces to the range with me that yield  30-65X.     I can see the legs on ants crawling on the targets at 200 yards. :o