Author Topic: choke tubes  (Read 437 times)

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
choke tubes
« on: February 21, 2009, 03:29:29 AM »
anyone find an after market choke tube that works better than the stock tube you get with a turkey barrel? I remeber shooting with the stock tube last season and it was ok at best out to 35yds.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: choke tubes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »
Many companies make choke tubes better than the factory tubes, which are marginal at best...go to any turkey hunting forum and ask what they like best for the size shot you plan to use. These H&R's use any choke tube that fits the Win Choke system. A couple I have heard mentioned are "Undertaker" and "Jelly Head"....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: choke tubes
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 04:04:12 PM »
How many ammo types did you try? I had a 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch Pardner with the factory turkey choke. It threw an incredible pattern using both 3" and 3 1/2" Remington Nitro #5 turkey loads. This was at 40 yards, I won't shoot any turkey beyond that so I never bothered to pattern it any further than that but I wouldn't be surprised if it they did well out to 45 or 50 yards.

I remember first trying a bunch of Winchester turkey loads and thinking the factory choke was no good because the patterns were bad but it was just a matter of finding the right load. In my case it was the Rem. Nitro Turkey loads. That was one nasty turkey killer, the only reason i got rid of it was because of my bad neck and shoulder. I dropped down to a 20 gauge and all is well.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783