Dillon
12 (7.9%)
Lyman
13 (8.6%)
Hornady
9 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Voting closed: March 23, 2009, 12:04:10 PM

Author Topic: Reloading press poll  (Read 3033 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Reloading press poll
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 10:13:24 AM »
Lessee here... I check RCBS and I got 2, a Rock Chucker and the smaller one... Rock Chucker Special is it?  :-\  But I also have a Lee C press that I use for priming case only, and an old grey thing that I can't remember the name of (Pacific?)  ??? that I'm not using at all now.  But I'll stick with a single stage RCBS,   :)  but I'd like a Dillon... maybe a turret press... or even a progressive... someday... I don't know why...  ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »
  but I'd like a Dillon... maybe a turret press... or even a progressive... someday... I don't know why...  ;)

Because you're a sensible man. Now tell me that you drive a Harley and we're friends. ;D
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 02:59:41 AM »
because hes a beginer and didnt ask which was the best progressive press. I think dillon would win that poll hands down.
I'm confused by the results so far on this poll. So far RCBS is preferred over Dillon, 5 to one. But whenever a newbie opens a thread about which press to buy, those replying and urging them to buy Dillon outnumber the RCBS referrals by at least the same margin. Does this mean that Dillon users are more vocal, or is it that the RCBS users don't want demand to drive the price of their equipment up?
blue lives matter

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 03:36:06 AM »
About 1990, I bought a new Dillon 550, having never reloaded a cartridge in my life. The perfect blend of patience and caution worked well for me. It was not easy. It became easy with some use and a little help from Dillon. The provided Dillon video tape and explicit written instructions were key to my success. I still use this press today. Just yesterday I stamped out 150 rounds of 8mm Mauser in short order. If this 550 were lost or stolen, I would replace it with another that day.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
because hes a beginer and didnt ask which was the best progressive press. I think dillon would win that poll hands down.
I'm confused by the results so far on this poll. So far RCBS is preferred over Dillon, 5 to one. But whenever a newbie opens a thread about which press to buy, those replying and urging them to buy Dillon outnumber the RCBS referrals by at least the same margin. Does this mean that Dillon users are more vocal, or is it that the RCBS users don't want demand to drive the price of their equipment up?

No Flash is not new to reloading, And he seems to know alot about it. But we where haveing a fairly heated argument about wiether or not new Lee Cast presses are junk or not, So he started this poll to get other opinions.  So far this poll has gone about as I would have expected it to. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Flash

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 07:03:30 AM »
Here's an old post of mine from 2002. I have been a firm believer in Dillon for over a decade.

1146   Ammo/Hand Loading Forums / Hand Loading for Rifles and Handguns / Reloading Press  on: December 28, 2002, 08:32:05 AM 
If you're just going to load handgun ammo, I would recomend the Dillon Square Deal. But, if you mix in rifle ammo and want to use all your dies, the RL 550 is the best one. I used to think that RCBS was the best choice also.....that is until I bought a Dillon. I lost some parts to my Sq. Deal when moving into the new house and they replaced them for free. It saved me around 50 bucks and I actually attempted to buy the stuff. A friend bought a used Dillon 450 and it was missing many parts. He placed an order with Dillon and they sent it for free. RCBS won't do that. Visit their web site and read up on them, you'll like them. 
Reply Quote Notify 

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »
bonanza coax here.i like the float that the coax has. you center up ever time.take care and good shooting.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 01:52:00 AM »
no doubt the finest single stage press a guy can have.
bonanza coax here.i like the float that the coax has. you center up ever time.take care and good shooting.
blue lives matter

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 03:35:26 AM »
I'm with CW on this one.  I still use a single stage press for 98% of my reloading, an RCBS Spartan no less.  I also have a Dillon 450...now theres another oldie.  I bought it new in the 80's I think and it's perfectly fine!!!

I don't like multi stage (old term for progressive) presses for newbies.......
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline SHOOTIST TOO

• SHOOTIST TOO
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 11:09:25 AM »
People with a single stage press can,t reload much. I shoot so much in matches, leagues and practice that I have to have progressive press. And 95% of the people I shoot with have Dillions. I shoot with a very large group of many types of competitions.
Patron Life Member NRA
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »
People with a single stage press can,t reload much. I shoot so much in matches, leagues and practice that I have to have progressive press. And 95% of the people I shoot with have Dillon's. I shoot with a very large group of many types of competitions.

I resemble that comment!  ::) ::)

What you SHOULD have said is, People who load with a single stage press can't PRODUCE much. I'll venture a guess, I am in my loading room loading more then most shooters. I'm in there at the very least 5 nights a week this time of year. Then most of Sunday afternoon till dinner. The summer is for shooting and fishing. The winter is for Hunting, loading stock for the summer and casting bullets.

BTW, with all your shooting events, where do you find the time to reload?? Touche!!  :o ;D ;) ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 07:45:57 PM »
I'll 2nd CW on that last post! When I was shooting IHMSA, I was at the loading bench every evening that I wasn't at the range! It was a way of life and what my summers were for. We couldn't afford to have thousands of empty cases waiting to be loaded - we had 4 little kids back then - so the same 200 cases were loaded over and over. Did most of my casting during the winter, after hunting season. As posted earlier on this thread, all I ever had was an old Herters Super 3 single-stage. Yesterday, at the local gun show, I upped the ante to a 2nd press. An old grey Pacific single stage, like AtlLaw has un-used! I cleaned it up, it was seized, got it all good and lubed and it runs fine. Looks pretty cool on the bench beside the Herters. It's not mounted permanent, yet, just with C-clamps. Kind of makes me a progressive loader. I can size and prime on the Herters, weigh up a charge of powder, pour in the powder as I move the case from the Herter to the Pacific where it will seat the new bullet! One up and down on the Herter, swap presses, one up and down on the Pacific! Oh, it cost me $5.00 with both priming arms and the 38Spl ram shellholder. The icing on the cake - my Dad has a blue Pacific press with a spare ram that takes the RCBS shellholders. Next summer I will have that press, also. H'mmm, what to do...maybe have to build a corner bench so I can have the presses in a wrap-around affair. Always, something..

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Flash

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »
With my Square Deal, my best was 350 completed 9mm rounds in an hour. In a weeks time, I can load what i'm going to shoot all year. That's the best benefit of Dillon.

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 01:44:35 AM »
I voted Hornady for my Progressive but I use the Redding Turret (6) for the short runs.  The Hornady really gave me a learning curve but since my wife has taken up shooting we're burning 300-400 per a weekend so the progressive is being used more.

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 03:24:48 PM »
I have two lees, a single stage and a turret.
I also have an old lyman 6 station turret and I would love a new 7 station Redding and an old Winchester hand held single press.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07