Author Topic: The latest addition to the family  (Read 783 times)

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
The latest addition to the family
« on: February 23, 2009, 03:28:32 PM »
I picked up my new 45-70 Handi from my FFL today. It's a beauty!  I decided to go with
a scout mount setup. I got a Weaver 92A base, Warne Maxima low rings, and a Swift
4X32mm pistol scope. I'm impressed with the quality of the Swift scope! Very clear
optics and surprisingly good light gathering for a 32mm objective lens. I removed the
sights and was surprised to find out that 2 out of the 4 holes in the 92A base line up
with the 2 drilled and tapped holes for the rear sight! ;D  I just have to drill and tap
a couple of more 6-48 holes and chop off the front overhang and it will be ready to
rock and roll! I like scout mounts. I have 3 of my milsurps setup with them using
Simmons 4X32mm scopes and S&K mounts. They will easily shoot to 200 yards, no
problem. I got 100 empty Starline brass, Lee dies, and some ammo boxes. I have
some 300 grain Remington JHP's on the way. It doesn't look like I'll be able to get
out to the range for a few weeks. That will give me some time to do a trigger job,
prep my cases, and load up some rounds.

Robert

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: The latest addition to the family
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:48:36 PM »
VERY NICE!!!

I had a AIMPOINT on a 45-70 scout mounted, for some time. I use a small base that fit the factroy screws and one ring. It worked perfect!!  I dont think I would try it with a longer base and two rings, too much leverage with the extra legnth and all... but a small base and a single ring held up perfectly for many many rounds!!

I like yours allot Bob!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
Thanks C.W. Your 45-70 looks sweet with that Aimpoint! I thought I was going to get a beavertail
forend like yours, but mine showed up with a standard pallet wood one. The price was right.
$238 shipped to my FFL from Wholesale Hunter.

Robert

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:46:01 PM »
Lookin good!!  ;)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »
I do like the scout set-up.  Looks good.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:59:01 AM »
I loved the scout setup on my .357, but I needed more light and reluctantly put a 3-9x50 on it.  Good luck with yours.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:29:46 AM »
I loved the scout setup on my .357, but I needed more light and reluctantly put a 3-9x50 on it.  Good luck with yours.

Pete

I agree with you Pete. That big scope might be nice to look thru but not so to look AT.   ;D ::) A nice compact 4 or 1X4 would better suit the trim "handi" handling!! Bretter yet, 2X scout/pistol scope setup, like Bobs, would be the cats arse!!
If you never had/shot one. Shooting a scout setup allows you to shoot with both eyes open and much faster target acquisition and accuracy is the result.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »
I agree with CW, putting a big honkin 50mm scope on a deer rifle of any kind is just not necessary, a step up in optics quality or a step down is power is a better move than a step up in objective size, IMO.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline brennemanj83

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 07:48:08 AM »
Heres my 44mag setup.Weaver 92a mount with a Simmons 2x20 pistol scope.I really like the way it handles and is perfect setup for those quick shots.I was even able to reuse the factory rear sight by mounting it in one of the scope mount holes.It shots 2'' high using the sights at 25yds and dead on at 100yds.

Banned for less than honest trading practices.

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 04:11:32 PM »
I got the scout mount all done. First I cut off the overhang. Then I added another
hole to the 92A closer to the front end and countersunk it to match the others.
Then I drilled and tapped 2 more 6-48 holes in the barrel. It was easy money! ;D
Then I put everything back together with Loctite. I can definitely see some more
scout setups on future Handi's. I don't think they are the answer to everything,
but on certain calibers they are pretty darn cool! ;D

Robert

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 04:04:16 AM »
For a deer hunt w/i 50 yards in brush I want a peep sight.

Past 100 yards in the clear I want my big scope... All a matter of situation and personal preference.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:53:24 AM »
I put that scout mount 4x32 on there when I could shoot with both eyes open.  When the right eye went downhill, the left eye took over and all I could see clearly was the target through the left eye.  Closing the left eye, the target was dim and blurred through the scope.     That's why I had to change to the 3-9x50.  I loved the scout mount, and If this eye can be fixed, I'll have it back.

Tim, the 50mm works for me early morning and late afternoon.  Without it I had to come in at 4:30, because I couldn't see a target through the scope.  Now I can stay out later or start earlier by an hour.  Both are prime times for deer.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline fish280

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 08:54:45 AM »
It's all good ...
His,
><>

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 09:07:52 AM »
I'd have to agree with Pete on the light gathering effect of using a large 3 x 9 x 50!

Us older guys can't hit nothing if we can't see it!

That's what I use, and pretty is as pretty does, I always say!

Also hunting hogs at night, (legal in Texas) is a lot of fun, which the big objective is what you need, and when you shoot that fire ball that comes out the end of the barrel looks way cool, but you lose sight of the hog for a few seconds, and hopefully he drops on the spot because you won't see which direction he ran.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
I have a bushnell banner 6-18 x 50 for yoters and long shots on deer (beanfield).

50's are really nice for the early morning hours and such as the larger objective transmits more light to the eyepiece.  But what matters more is the lens quality.  The better the lens, the better the light transmission.

This link can explain it better than I can...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-choose-riflescope.html

I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 12:17:01 PM »
I put that scout mount 4x32 on there when I could shoot with both eyes open.  When the right eye went downhill, the left eye took over and all I could see clearly was the target through the left eye.  Closing the left eye, the target was dim and blurred through the scope.     That's why I had to change to the 3-9x50.  I loved the scout mount, and If this eye can be fixed, I'll have it back.

Tim, the 50mm works for me early morning and late afternoon.  Without it I had to come in at 4:30, because I couldn't see a target through the scope.  Now I can stay out later or start earlier by an hour.  Both are prime times for deer.

Pete

Pete,
 You couldn't use both eyes because you used a 4X scope. The advantage of a forward mounted scope is lost when using more than 2.5 power. Using a 4X makes it a reg use gun with the scope mounted forward!!

I have a bushnell banner 6-18 x 50 for yoters and long shots on deer (beanfield).

50's are really nice for the early morning hours and such as the larger objective transmits more light to the eyepiece.  But what matters more is the lens quality.  The better the lens, the better the light transmission.

This link can explain it better than I can...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-choose-riflescope.html

S.S. Sam, speaks the truth.
   The magic number is something like a 6mm shaft of light. This "light gathering" ability you speak of is a gimic lower quality scope makers heap on us to justify the larger objective.  Any of us with a better quality scope (Leupold VXII and better, Nikons higher end, Burris, Upper line Pentax, Bushnell 3200 and better and many others) and a 32mm objective will "gather" just as much light as the cheaper jobbers and a 50mm objective. The quality of the polish and the lenses coatings increase that lenses ability to transfer the avalible light to your eye. Cheaper scopes try to make up for lower quality by making the objective larger. Not nearly as efficient a method of increasing the scopes ability to be used in lo light conditions.

CW

NRA LIFE Member