Author Topic: YORKTOWN CANNON  (Read 1276 times)

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
YORKTOWN CANNON
« on: February 25, 2009, 03:47:52 AM »
I have a CVA CN 811 .50 yorktown model, does anyone have some good pics one in all its glory.Model is a bit basic and I want her looking her best.Would be much appreciated.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: YORKTOWN CANNON
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:24:37 AM »
Carronader,

I don't know if this photo is all that good or if the gun is all that glorious, but it's the best I could do. The pic is from the Dixie Gun Works e-catalog.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:18:06 AM »
Thanks Boom J ,I really meant a real one,you know as allegedly used at Yorktown,as you can see not a lot of design went into this type model and before I start messing with it I'd like an idea of what they looked like.
 I don't want a bunch of mad americans giving me a hard time over a bit of their history.(smile)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:41:59 AM »
Carronader,

Why don't you start by looking around this website...http://www.nps.gov/york/

If you don't see what you want, send them an email tell them who you are and what your are doing and they may send helpful information.

I also googled Yorktown battlefield and got a lot of hits, that might help. 

I'm surprised our resident historian, Cannonman hasn't jumped in here.  John hangs out at places like the National Archives and digs up all sorts of stuff...then of course he can probably rummage around in the back of his garage and roll out one the originals...well he'll get Ed to roll it out. John is the Director/Producer, the brains.  Ed is the star and lead worker.  ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »
Thanks Boom J ,I really meant a real one,you know as allegedly used at Yorktown,as you can see not a lot of design went into this type model and before I start messing with it I'd like an idea of what they looked like.
 I don't want a bunch of mad americans giving me a hard time over a bit of their history.(smile)

OK, I Gotcha now, you want to see some cannons to help you make your model a little more realistic. Here are some pics of a 9pdr and 6pdr cannons, both bronze and iron, original and reproduction. There are a couple photos of a 6 pdr from Yorktown, I didn't put any captions under the pics, but there should be enough here to give you some ideas.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »
The first thing I would do is to rebuild the wheels with the proper number of spokes.  That really stands out at first glance.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 11:07:45 AM »
if anyone needs pictures of any guns known to be at yorktown, I live just a few miles from there i go there all the time on work. and just to ride around the battle fields. 

rick bryan
 3rd va co B
 NSSA

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 12:40:31 PM »
Which side do you want the cannon to represent?  The Brit pieces are much more thoroughly documented than those on the Allied side (French and Americans.)

If you want to do British, they had a number of light 3-pounder guns on "grasshopper" carriages.  I have photos of two of the tubes that were captrued there and are so inscribed.  That piece is extremely well documented and there isn't much doubt that you'd be able to pin down the details.  Anything else, and the correct info is harder to get.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »
See I knew John would have it, can't say I'm surprised Boom J had the info, he's up on this stuff also.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:07:34 AM »
Thanks very much ,I don't want to go forensic but just present a realistic model.I can now build/make alter to suit and as I prefer to scratch build (I got this kit really cheap on e-bay UK) I kinda knew one of you guys would have a decent photo to help. thanks to all.You should all be pleased to know the Scottish parliament has no intention(at this time)to take over your government and get you out of the fix you're in.The English would only raise our tea tax.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 06:07:49 AM »
Thanks very much ,I don't want to go forensic but just present a realistic model.I can now build/make alter to suit and as I prefer to scratch build (I got this kit really cheap on e-bay UK) I kinda knew one of you guys would have a decent photo to help. thanks to all.You should all be pleased to know the Scottish parliament has no intention(at this time)to take over your government and get you out of the fix you're in.The English would only raise our tea tax.

You're welcome, and you're welcome aboard the Board, there's almost nothing I appreciate more than a person with a well developed sense of humor.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »
You should all be pleased to know the Scottish parliament has no intention(at this time)to take over your government and get you out of the fix you're in.

Some of us would be happy for you to take our government away.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 06:53:18 AM »
You should all be pleased to know the Scottish parliament has no intention(at this time)to take over your government and get you out of the fix you're in.

Some of us would be happy for you to take our government away.   ;D

Or: If you've got a contemporary version of William Wallace wandering around the Ayrshire area, you could send him our way. Maybe he'd have what it takes to put a fire in the bellies of those of us that are in need of some inspiration.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 08:52:33 AM »
Hang in there,the expeditionary force is being organised as I speak.The Scottish navy has just taken delivery of it's latest acquisition,second hand but who can buy new with the credit crisis.I personally brokered the deal,and the new long range haggis howitzer should be ready by summer.The single malt whiskey embargo deployed on Washington last year has been extended to all U.S. financial institutions.We deny all English attempts at involvement as We know you will never accept cricket as the national sport.
 We deny all reports of compulsory kilt wearing and bagpipe training ,this remains a Sunday only rule.We fully expect a maximum of six special services highland haggis landing on the whitehouse lawn will keep casualties to a minimum and both houses will capitulate within days.
 Secrecy is a must,the English would only want to bring David Beckham and Andrew Loyd Webber and a new musical about soccer would instigate a Redneck Revolution.
 Keep your pride up and your powder dry men ..........the Scots are coming.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 09:10:15 AM »
Long range barrel just needs a little finishing.the flag on the sub will of course be changed.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »
should you use that barrel on top of the sub or should you have the sub inside the barrel  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
I would love to see a blackpowder gun that size firing,I've posted a pic of one of your beloved ' Ugly Guns'.
  It's from Warwick Castle,they do good tours and re-enactments for visitors,not a lot of cannons on site but it was more a love nest than a fighting Castle,Leeds castle near London has more history.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 08:57:40 AM »
I would love to see a blackpowder gun that size firing

The photo your showing is of a jacket being forged for a 12-inch naval gun, and I think by that date Britain was using cordite to fire its big guns.
Another vid has been shown here before, demonstrating the firing of this huge (Armstrong 100 ton, rifled muzzleloader). This piece has a 450mm (17.716-inches) bore, which disqualifies it from being the largest ML cannon ever made if you are judging by bore size alone. It fired a 1 ton projectile with a 450 pound service charge of prismatic black powder behind it. This vid is a little bit of a cheat, because it's showing the gun being fired with what has to be only a fraction of an original charge. I'd pay the price of a couple tickets to see it actually fire even a blank service charge.

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3KcLu6_TLE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3KcLu6_TLE[/yt]

By the way, you've mentioned the haggis and the incomparable single-malt, what about the "neeps and tatties"?

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 11:20:58 AM »
Scotland not really strong on blackpowder gun forgeing,but the parkhead works caught up with the more modern guns when England was struggling to supply our ever growing navy.Clydebank and Greenock went into overdrive with ships,engines and submarines being built at phenomenal speed.
 Strange how the carronade is probably more widely known than the proud history of the River Clyde.The Parkhead works was pretty big operation,have posted a pic.Thanks for your vids..........awesome.