Author Topic: Star Rolling rolling blocks has anybody seen any?  (Read 818 times)

Offline Rex in OTZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Star Rolling rolling blocks has anybody seen any?
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »
I never knew Star made a baby rolling block I saw in the Numrich catalog #24 on page 879 "STAR ROLLING BLOCK Rifle barrel 20" .44mag"
Has anybody seen one? they must have been built well for it to be a .44mag Also had semi finished stocks there that would work on a #1 or #1.1/2

Offline John Traveler

Re: Star Rolling rolling blocks has anybody seen any?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
It's been a couple of years, but I had a chance to examine and handle a couple of new Star rolling block carbines.  One was in .30-30 Winchester and the other was .44 Magnum.  Fit and finish were okay, but nothing spectacular.  Metal finish was quite utilitarian, without much polishing.  Abrasive wheel sanding looked to be the surface prep.  I dunno if the wood stocks would fit the original Remininton Number 1 or 1 1/2, but they looked close.  Without real details, I suspected the receiver, breechblock and hammer to be investment castings.  Lockup was tight, but trigger pull was VERY hard and rough.
John Traveler

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Two of them have been sitting in local gun shops for the last ten years. Kinda pricey,figure thats why they havnt sold. Both in 30-30. I assume these were made by the same company that made Star pistols? If they are built like the pistols, they will last a long time. Iv'e got three of them and they function extremely well

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 01:34:27 AM »
I had a .30-30 over a decade ago, it was crudely built and the screw hole for the front sight was drilled all the way into the bore!   Sold it before I ever fired it.