Author Topic: Will 12G ULSH Recoil  (Read 714 times)

Offline PeculiarSatyr

• Trade Count: (0)
Will 12G ULSH Recoil
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:42:44 AM »
Explode my shoulder?  I bought a 12 gauge ultra light slug hunter for 2009-2010 Deer Season in Ohio so I still have several months to prepare.

It's pretty ridiculously light so I'm thinking my best bet on making 12G slugs have reasonable recoil is adding around 3lbs to the gun somehow?  I took the recoil pad off and I'm thinking of filling the hole with epoxy/lead shot.  I most likely will never have to take the stock off.  Also I'm assuming a slip on recoil pad of some sort is in order (anyone have advice on which one to get?)

Anyone have any experience with this or any tips/advice?

Thanks, James

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: Will 12G ULSH Recoil
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:19:29 AM »
James, I would not fill the stock hole up with anything permanent. While doing that would leave you no way to get at the stock bolt if the stock ever loosened or work needed to be done near that area. Some slug offerings are now available with lower recoil and that might be worth a try as well.

We have the Tracker II's in 20 ga, which is on the same order as the ULSH and recoil off the bench is manageable. Don't know about the 12 ga. though. Others here could help you out with recoil reducing devices and hopefully they will post ideas.

With no offense meant could I ask why you purchased a gun you thought might have excessive recoil in the first place?

Offline PeculiarSatyr

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 03:48:02 AM »
With no offense meant could I ask why you purchased a gun you thought might have excessive recoil in the first place?

I got a really good deal and was hoping if I turned it into a "project", I could get the recoil down to a managable level.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 04:48:44 AM »
I think you are the 1st poster with this gun. shoot it as is with 2 3/4" federal premiums 1st.  The recoil mights not kill you. It is going to give you a nice punch in the shoulder. What kind of optics are you going to use?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 06:03:03 AM »

I got a really good deal and was hoping if I turned it into a "project", I could get the recoil down to a managable level.
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully you will get to where you want to go. I would like to hear the reports on this as well. Others here would like to see the reports as well. It looks like the Tracker II is a thing of the past.

Offline PeculiarSatyr

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 12:20:21 PM »
I think you are the 1st poster with this gun. shoot it as is with 2 3/4" federal premiums 1st.  The recoil mights not kill you. It is going to give you a nice punch in the shoulder. What kind of optics are you going to use?

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 40 that I picked up in a deal a while ago that I'm going to put on with some heavy duty rings.  I probably wont get around to shooting it for a few weeks still and need to pick up some higher rings.

Anyone have advice as to a slip on recoil pad that will be effective?

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »
That scope and rings will add over a pound to the gun (which will help with the recoil).  Add a limbsaver slip on pad and try the Remington copper solid reduced recoil slugs (1400 ft lbs of energy @ the muzzle w/a 1 ounce copper slug) and you should be in business.

Adding some weight to the buttstock will also help.  I've used a piece of rubber hose, filled w/lead shot and duct taped on both ends to seal it (for a cheap, easily removeable stock weight). 

One last suggestion, is to add a buttstock ammo holder (either elastic or neoprene) and fill it with 4 or 5 rounds of slugs (that adds another 6-8 ounces of weight to the gun).

The above suggestions should get the weight of that gun up to around 7-7.5 lbs thus making it tolerable to shoot w/the abovementioned loads.

Best of luck,

Jim

Offline PeculiarSatyr

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 04:12:31 PM »
One last suggestion, is to add a buttstock ammo holder (either elastic or neoprene) and fill it with 4 or 5 rounds of slugs (that adds another 6-8 ounces of weight to the gun).

I hadn't even thought of the ammo holder but that sounds like a good idea.  Now I'm thinking of filling a copper pipe with lead shot and putting it in the stock.  That should add about 1.5 lbs.  I think the gun is 5.5 by itself.  With the scope and ammo holder that should put it above 8 lbs which sounds pretty good.

If anyone else has any ideas, keep em coming.  After I get it all set up and shoot it, I'll give you all a range report.  Honestly kinda excited to be the first person to shoot it that I can find on the internet.
~James

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:41:19 AM »
Cant go wrong with the limbsaver slip on pad. I'd try to get a regular screw on version or even do a grind to fit. A slpi on pad might offend those high end optics.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 03:41:33 AM »
Slip on Limbsaver all the way. I use one for three different slug guns. IMO it makes a 12ga. recoil more like shooting a 20ga. It may also help save that scope if you use a lead sled type rest.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline PeculiarSatyr

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 02:29:12 PM »
I'm looking around at slip on limb savers and trying to find out which one to buy.  Anyone have one on a USH that fits really well?  Which specific one did you get?

Also an update.  I picked up a 1/2 inch  8 inch pipe from the plumbing section in home depot today.  I put a cap on and filled it with 7 1/2 shot.  duck taped the other end, made the stock hole a little bigger with a dremel so the cap would fit in.

I don't have a scale but I'd estimate the gun now weighs 7  - 7 1/2 lbs.

Also, any advice on a well fitting slip on recoil pad would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 01:30:14 AM »
a Sims size medium slip on fits well on my H&R/NEF's. They also are great at mitigating felt recoil. Many here use the Sims recoil pads.
Also I suggest avoiding all magnum loads unless you are hunting Grizzlies or Polar bears or something else that can hurt, eat, or maim you. Only use them (magnums) for deer if you cannot get a standard 2 3/4" shell to group well. A 2 3/4" 12 gauge slug will effectively and humanely put down any deer out there. Less recoil, usually more accurate, and cheaper, whats not to like?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley