Author Topic: Shotgun hog hunt  (Read 1466 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Shotgun hog hunt
« on: February 28, 2009, 08:27:11 AM »
I have a friend, sorta a backcountry character that has been hasssling me to go hog hunting with him. There is this WMA near Yard, Texas that is all swamp and the way you hunt is to wade around in water chest deep pulling a pirogue sneaking up on little islands of mud and brush in the middle of the day to shoot sleeping hogs. Big ones too.  His gun of choice is an old 12 gauge Topper 88 with a modified choke and he likes Winchester Rifled slugs.  Most of he shots he takes are no more than 30 feet. This area has to be Water Mocassin heaven which he says won't bite you when you are in the water if you act cool around them.  Anyway if one gets too interested change to a dove load and decrease the snake gene pool.  For shoes he wears cut down swim fins.  I am getting a 20 gauge NEF today and I guess the best question I can ask is what is the most powerful heaviest easy to get slug load available for a smoothbore 20 gauge.  I am going in april which is also the best time to view snake behavior he says.  I have a pump 12 gauge but he says if I fall with it in the mud I might not be able to get it clean enough to use afterwards which is why he likes his single shot.  We are going to wade and paddle our seperate pirogues 4 or 5 miles way back in to a small island he has built sort of a tree house to sleep in and base out of.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline mjh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Shotgun hog hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:41:36 AM »
Sounds like fun!!  Take a frog gig, matchety, hog spear and whatever else sounds good!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »
That sounds fun keep us informed. Woiuld love to hear details and see pics.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »
I am wondering how hard I can't wait to be pulling a pirogue thru snake infested water trying to get within 50 feet of a sleeping hog. The NEF I got today just happens to be a youth model, 22 inch modified which is fine with me.  I think I am going to use Winchester Foster slugs or Brenneke old styles as I have some in the ammo box. Have to see just how hard it is to hit a beer can at 50 feet with just a bead front sight.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »
Boats are for riding in NOT for pulling around while wading in the water. I suggest you give that a try instead.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »
that sounds like so much fun i think a syntheic stock would be a good idea
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »
Ummm, why not carry a double (hog+snake medicine). Sounds right for a sawed off with a youth length buttstock.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 04:36:21 AM »
I am pretty sure I'll be riding in mine.  This area must be some kind of #ell#ole to have to pull and push your boat around in it.

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 07:13:53 AM »
That sound kinda fun.

But he is more of a man than me when it comes to poisonous snakes.

I once had a rattler slither under my M249 on a security halt when I was stationed at Ft. Hood, my buddy and I were not happy campers.  :o
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline rickt300

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »
I got the Pardner youth gun and some slugs to test. Went out to my 50 yard range.  With the bead at 20 feet it hits 2 inches to the left. At 50 feet it hits 5 inches low and 2 inches to the left. Winchester and Remington slugs hit to the same point of aim. No way am I hunting like this. They all stay on a paper plate but I gotta have sights. I see a Tracker II in my future.  Having been married three times I am pretty sure I ain't dying by a snake bite though I am cautious with them (both snakes and women). I bet I have killed hundreds of Water Moccasins with a machete in and out of the water.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 09:19:01 AM »
If you get a tracker II barrel and want to shoot the cheep foster type slugs, it may shoot way too low as mine did, I have a spare higher rear sight my friend made me let me know if ya need it.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline eod20

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
  • stinker
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 10:59:25 AM »
put a williams peep sight on the rear and a rifle post on the front  and use a plastic tammer stock - it has storage for a few follow up rounds    i also threaded mine for a rifled tube    it works well for my needs out to 50 - 75 yds
looking for ejectors - 308, 8mm, 35 rem, 25-20, 32-20, 357 mag, 45LC

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »
Just remember, them snake is good eatin' too. ;D
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »
I read that you can have a 20 barrel tapped for a base. 12 you can't, not enough metal. Ain't that scary?

Offline rickt300

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 02:06:53 PM »
I haven't decided yet on the cure.  You could feed a village for a week on the snakes I have killed and not eaten. Rattlesnake ain't bad but have you ever gutted a water snake? EWwwu.

Offline moose

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
are ya'll going "snipe hunting" after the hog hunt ;D ;D ;D

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 09:50:26 PM »
I am wondering how hard I can't wait to be pulling a pirogue thru snake infested water trying to get within 50 feet of a sleeping hog. The NEF I got today just happens to be a youth model, 22 inch modified which is fine with me.  I think I am going to use Winchester Foster slugs or Brenneke old styles as I have some in the ammo box. Have to see just how hard it is to hit a beer can at 50 feet with just a bead front sight.
Hogs can be pretty nasty creatures, for the sake of your life and limbs I suggest you leave the Winchester slugs home and take the Brenneke, some of their 3" mags would be a good choice. Here's a little trick for ya... put a white dot of paint on the back of the receiver of your gun in such a place as when you are looking down the barrel the bead sits right on top of the dot, works like a rear sight and makes a big difference over just the bead alone;)
Happy Hogging!

Offline rickt300

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 04:19:11 AM »
I had my barrel drilled and tapped for a scope base and put a Millet red dot sight on it.  I shot both foster and Brenneke slugs at 50 yards and got 3 inch groups with both.   I will definitly use the Brennekes and I haven't decided yet if I am going to cut the barrel off behind the choke yet.

Offline moose

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 03:28:34 PM »
I had my barrel drilled and tapped for a scope base and put a Millet red dot sight on it.  I shot both foster and Brenneke slugs at 50 yards and got 3 inch groups with both.   I will definitly use the Brennekes and I haven't decided yet if I am going to cut the barrel off behind the choke yet.

sounds like you are ready when ya going ??? ???

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 05:21:59 PM »
If it is shooting 3" groups at 50 yards with a red dot now I suggest you leave it as it is. Don't cut it down, no telling what you might get if you do. And as it is now I'll bet it shoots buckshot pretty well also....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline rickt300

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 07:50:32 AM »
April 4th.  And now I find out they changed the regs to allow centerfire rifles!  I might bring my Handi with the 44 magnum barrel I have for it.