Author Topic: reaming to fireball  (Read 486 times)

Offline mike4

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
reaming to fireball
« on: February 28, 2009, 08:40:31 AM »
if you make a 17 fireball out of a 17 hmr how much work will have to be done to the ejector for it to function properly?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: reaming to fireball
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »
You might want to just wait a few months and get one from the factory, they already have the equipment to make .17 cal barrels, all they need to do is buy the reamers and make them with 4140 instead of the 1137 they currently make them with for rimfires, see the 17 FB sticky.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 11:56:41 AM »
To answer the question, you need to mill the ejector slot wider, drill and install a lifter button and a .223 ejector, I've done a few of them.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
You might want to just wait a few months and get one from the factory, they already have the equipment to make .17 cal barrels, all they need to do is buy the reamers and make them with 4140 instead of the 1137 they currently make them with for rimfires, see the 17 FB sticky.

Do you have some inside knowledge?  Or are you speculating?   ???

I'd like to have a Handi-barrel in .221 Fireball, but had planned to have a .22 WMR barrel rechambered to it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 02:13:04 PM »
Do you have some inside knowledge? 

Yes, it's their idea, not mine.  ;)

Tim

H&R is considering offering a .17 Rem Fireball accessory barrel and possibly a complete rifle later, any interest?  ;D

Tim

Offline mike4

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
thanks that will be good to have one from the factory i have a handi i need to send in for some work and guess ill just waite any idea when they will start exactly

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 05:07:19 PM »
Haven't got a final decision on it yet, but due to the poll results, they're seriously considering it. I'll post it in the 17FB sticky when I find out.  ;) The nice thing about the accessory barrel version is they don't have to get distributors to commit to it like they do for a complete rifle, all they need to know is there's a market for it.  ;D

Tim

Offline mike4

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 05:24:24 PM »
thanks again i will watch for it i had voted on there just dident know when they would finally start selling them
trotterlg thanks i thought it would be alot of work and not having any milling equipment would make it hard to do that kind of modification

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
I'll make a prediction here now.  Next year, at this time, you will still be waiting for a .17 Remington FB barrel from H&R (or who ever they are now).  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.