Author Topic: Turkey loads for 20 ga. Topper Deluxe Classic  (Read 1740 times)

Offline NoSafety

• Trade Count: (3)
Turkey loads for 20 ga. Topper Deluxe Classic
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:42:29 AM »
I have a 20 ga. TDC with a modified choke tube and a full choke tube.  I'm wanting to let the wife turkey hunt with it this spring and was wondering if anyone has any load info for this set up.  I shot some Remington Premier Magnum 3" shot #6 through it.  Pattern was acceptable out to 30 yards, but not great.  Any info on loads for the factory full tube or about a after-market tube and load would be appreciated.  bsgf_safety@yahoo.com.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Turkey loads for 20 ga. Topper Deluxe Classic
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »
I use Hevi-shot in mine, but I've got some Federal Flite Control ammo on the way to work with this year.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,142452.msg1098569267.html#msg1098569267
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:49:41 AM »
Finding just the right load that patterns good in your barrel might take testing more than just one load. I like #6 shot but my Turkey hunting buddy likes #71/2 shot. He kills a lot of turkeys out to 40 yards.  He wants super tight patterns and only shoots at the turkeys head.  I have found that full chokes are the pickiest as to what loads they like.  In a twenty gauge I would try the 71/2 shot.  My shotgun is a 12 gauge 30 inch full choke that I honed a bit to get the pattern I like with 6 shot.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline NoSafety

UPDATE
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:39:52 AM »
UPDATE

I tested 3 different loads through the 20 ga. TDC and factory full choke tube.  All 3" loads,#6 Remington Premier Magnum, #5 Winchester Supreme Mag , and #4 Winchester Supreme Mag.  All shots were taken at 30 yards using a turkey head target with an 8" circle drawn around the head.  I won't go into shot count in the kill zone, because none of them are what I would call acceptable.  While most shots put a couple of holes in the kill zone, none of them would give a pattern that would consistently take a turkey cleanly at the 30 yard mark. 

Offline rickt300

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »
Try some 2 3/4 inch loads, some guns just don't like the 3 inch shells.  I happened to pattern some shells today myself. First up were some Winchester dove loads going 1275 FPS 3/4 ounce of 7 1/2 shot. Patterns were almost perfect doughnuts with very little in the middle. Next up were Remington high brass 1 ounce of #4 shot, very even coverage that would generally kill a turkey at the thirty yards I had my paper tacked up at.  I plan on using them on rabbits and tree rats.  This was done in my Pardner youth 20 gauge with a modified choke. This is not really what I would use for a turkey gun.  I have some 3 inch shells loaded with #4 shot I may try tomorrow.  I generally use the magnum shells with #4 shot to harass the coyotes around here and not much else.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 01:00:10 AM »
You may even want to try some of those loads through your MOD choke, too. I use Remington Wingmaster 3" #4 HD loads through my Pardner 20 gauge for turkey hunting with the factory mod choke. Nice tight pattern at 30 yards. Not your classic turkey setup but it works for me.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline NoSafety

Another Day Patterning the TDC
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
All 3" shells, all through factory full choke tube at 30 yards.  I used the turkey head target that shows the vitals as brain and spine, and only the shot that hit the vitals are recorded  as hits.

1)Remington Premier Magnum #6 - Average hits = 2
2)Remington Nitro Magnum #5 - Average hits = 4.5
3)Winchester Supreme Mag #5 - Average hits = 4.5
4)Winchester Supreme Mag #4 - Average hits = 3.5

I have decided to order an aftermarket choke tube and start the process over again.  I'm going to include the Federal Flite-Control shells also.  I will post the results.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:06:05 PM »
My experience with the extra full chokes on my 12 gauge showed a real preference for the smaller shot sizes.  Seems to me that inside 30 yards you have a lethal pattern. This sounds funny but the bottom of my front site bead on my 12 gauge was sticking down ito the barrel just a bit but it really seemed to tighten thigs up when I shortened it so it wouldn't reach into the bore.

Offline NoSafety

UPDATE
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
I purchased a HS Strut Undertaker choke tube for the TDC 20 gauge.  It has a constriction of .582.  I ran the same loads through it that I posted the results for earlier.  Absolutely no improvement at all.  The #4 shot load is putting even less shot in the kill zone and the center of the patterns now hits to the left.  Pretty much a waste of $25.  I have some Hevi-shot loads on order in #6 shot.  I'm going to run them through the factory IC, factory full, and the Undertaker chokes and see if there is an acceptable choke/load combination.  If not, watch the HR classifieds.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 08:11:12 PM »
I researched the previous threads here and at Shotgun World, the Trulock .575" choke got the best reviews and I had to agree after shooting it, but it's your money.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 01:36:10 AM »
You might want to consider picking up a box of basic 2 3/4 #6 pheasant loads too. You'd be surprised how they can actually
pattern better than magnum turkey loads in various chokes.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 03:54:27 AM »
"This sounds funny but the bottom of my front site bead on my 12 gauge was sticking down ito the barrel just a bit but it really seemed to tighten thigs up when I shortened it so it wouldn't reach into the bore."

not funny at all, the screw protruding into the bore would surely disrupt your pattern......
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline NoSafety

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 02:21:49 PM »
Rickt

This barrel has screw in choke tubes, so the sight bead post isn't an issue.  Thanks

Doulbebass

I'll try some 2.75 inchers also.  Thanks

Offline NoSafety

This thing's turning into a turkey gun
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 10:06:02 AM »
I have always been skeptical of the hevi-shot claims, but I'm now a believer.  As I posted earlier, I purchased a HS Strut Undertaker turkey tube for the TDC 20 gauge and I was waiting on my order of Hevi 13 turkey loads.  The load is HEVI 13, HEVI-SHOT, 20 gauge, 3", 1.25oz. Shot, 1090 FPS, shot size #6.  This gun went from putting fewer than 5 pellets in the kill zone at 30 yards to putting an average of 14 pellets in the kill zone at 30 yards.  One shot even put 21 hits in the brain and spine areas of the turkey target I was using.  I didn't pattern it at any other distances and will probably not shoot over the 30 yard mark when hunting, but I may try a few at a target at 40 yards just to see how it performs.  Needless to say, I believe Hevi-shot is worth the extra money.  For this particular set up any way.

Offline moose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »
try some Federal mag-shock in 5's or 6's........turkey's HATE--Them ;D ;D ;D

Offline cgoff

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 06:30:50 PM »
I had the same results with hevi-shot in my 12 gauge.  I went from an average of 60 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds with 5 different lead shot loads to and average of 170 w hevi-shot 3"-2OZ-#6. They are expensive at about 4 bucks a shell but worth it in my opinion.  I was also using an undertaker