Author Topic: 1770 coehorn mortar  (Read 1183 times)

Offline timberdoodle

• Trade Count: (0)
1770 coehorn mortar
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:13:56 AM »
Hi all boomers,newbie has a cast iron mortar [coehorn 1770] repro. Ive' owned it for 30 years,used to shoot 2lb coffee cans rapped in rags and filled with sand. using 3 plastic coffee scoops of ffg. Old age and this forum have made me more cautious. Can I use this as a noisemaker safelyand if so ,suggested loads and wads to start with.  4.5" bore, brll.weight 70 lbs, Thanks for a great and helpful forum.   Timberdoodle

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: 1770 coehorn mortar
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:02:33 PM »
I dont have any experiance of that size mortars , but I would suggest that you told to the other members if it had a chamber or not , and dimensions of chamber if there is one . also wall thickness surrounding the chamber and maybe a few photos also . all that will make it easier for the other guys to ansver your question .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »
timberdoodle  --

WELCOME to the board!

Does the coehorn have a powder chamber?  If so what dimensions?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline timberdoodle

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:32:56 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and quick replys: yes on powder chamber about 3"deep,2" across, curved at bottom,and cylindrical in shape. wall thickness is another matter I don't have anything to measure with. Will try to post picture but am not so good with computers. Thanks again ,Timberdoodle

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
Howdy timberdoodle,

Where did your mortar originally come from, and are there any markings on it?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline timberdoodle

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:38:20 AM »
This mortar appears to be a full scale repro.in cast iron. I traded it 30 years ago for who knows what. Know nothing about its origin.Mortar looks exactly like British 1770 coehorn. No maker marks,justBritish crown and scrolled initials, maybe gr ?on top of brll. clamshell around touchhole . Thickness of iron at touchhole is 2". other measurements soon. Pictures soon if I can figure how to add them.Would love to shoot her again but wish to be safe. Thanks all,Timberdoodle

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 09:58:50 AM »
The GR on the barrel stands for George Rex - King George, and the date 1770 would mean it was the designation for King George III.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.