Author Topic: Take primers for example...  (Read 699 times)

Offline Chas.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Take primers for example...
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:23:10 PM »
Big box stores are out, or near out.  Mom and Pop gun shops are out, or near out.  Mail order/internet vendors are out, or near out. 

Now that being the situation, if I ran a primer manufacturing facility, I would be producing primers as fast as I could. 

So where are they going?

Same scenario for powder as well.  Cast bullets and brass seem to be faring a bit better.

Offline Dean of Id

• Lathe projects
Re: Take primers for example...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »

So where are they going?

Mainly to people who are buying way more than they normally would.  Unfounded worries that someone is going to take our toys away from us has some (many) members of the shooting/reloading hobby hoarding supplies.
This same exact thing happened when President Clinton was elected to office for his first term, and it was unfounded then too.
I remember a toilet paper "shortage" quite a few years back, and a gasoline "shortage" too.  Today I can buy all the TP and gas I could ever want.  The "Chicken Little" syndrome does none of us any good, and only serves to raise prices and temporarily put a kink in supply.

Don't worry.  The primer makers will catch up pretty quick.   They're making all they can, I'm sure, but when the market doubles overnight, it takes them time to catch up.
Dean W

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
Electing Democrats is the best thing you gan do to stimulate the firearms industry.  You'll never hear that on the 5:00 news.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 04:20:15 PM »
Hindsight, as they say is 20-20.  I wish I had stocked up sooner.  I normally don't keep a lot of stuff on hand, and the price just went up dramatically................. :-\
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:07:29 PM »
I knew way ahead of time, all the way back last summer because my gut told me that I needed to buy.

My mind kept telling me to just be satisfied with what you have because you can't afford to panic buy, but my gut wanted me to spend and didn't even care how much I have in my account.

Now that I didn't listen to my gut, my bank account still doesn't look so good, and I still don't have any primers.

Oh the tangled web we weave!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »
Back many years ago when the last primer scare took place, as the supply gradually increased, instead of eating lunch I bought components with the time and money. I would work off the premise that when I got down to a certain level that I would purchase more. This has worked quite well and now I do this with everything for the most part that would be hard to replace if the shumer ever hits the fan. You name it, we probably have it in duplicate. We call it being prepared. Remember the spares and the spare parts.

Offline Westbound

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 06:06:39 AM »
When I saw primers in the title I got excited.  I thought maybe you had found some!!

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »
My Dad died over 20 years ago, leaving a fully equipped reloading shop.  Eventually the stuff was dismantled, put in boxes and stored at my brother's.  Over the last few weeks, I have been picking through it to set up reloading at home.  Believe it or not, yesterday I tried some primers and powder that were there.  Loaded up several 5 shot increments for two rifles.  All fired fine.  No misfires, no duds.  Who woulda' thunk it?
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 12:18:11 PM »
My Dad died over 20 years ago, leaving a fully equipped reloading shop.  Eventually the stuff was dismantled, put in boxes and stored at my brother's.  Over the last few weeks, I have been picking through it to set up reloading at home.  Believe it or not, yesterday I tried some primers and powder that were there.  Loaded up several 5 shot increments for two rifles.  All fired fine.  No misfires, no duds.  Who woulda' thunk it?
I'm still shooting some 9mm that was loaded in 1983. Those components will keep for a long time.

Offline johnjohn

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 04:21:21 PM »
I'm getting to the last of the small pistol primers bought during the last primer "crisis".

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 04:37:48 AM »
a few months ago I was shocked when the primer cost was up over 50%.  Now thats not a lot of money, but a big change.  Then, I noticed I could not find large rifle magnum, anywhere.  One seller told me the military was buying them all up.  Eventually, I found some, and bought a hundred. 

All in all, I am buying what I use, and not much more.  Im not hording.  I know many people are doing that, and thats fine, I just choose to think that I will be able to find what I need, and maybe for less cost than during this current run up on all things gun related.  It is frustrating though, because much of what I want to but is out of stock but there are usually alternatives.