Author Topic: Saboted rifle rounds  (Read 339 times)

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
Saboted rifle rounds
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »
  I have read good and bad about shooting 22 projectiles saboted through 30 caliber rifles.  Some say they are not acurate enough, others that they tend to be as acurate as the same rifle with 30 cal ammo.

Any body here actualy used them?  My question is not limited to the 22/30cal sabots.  Any experiences loading and shooing saboted rifle ammo would be apreciated.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Saboted rifle rounds
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:18:43 AM »
  It has been MY experience with Remington's saboted rounds that EVERY gun is different. They shot okay in my 30-30 Savage bolt , but not worth a hoot in my brothers 94win. He had to single load them. I tried some in 2 .308's with varying results. Good enough to hunt deer at close range(under 100 yards), definetly NOT good for ground hogs at longer range. In a SURVIVAL situation, I'd rather have them then a 22rf. A fellow club member CLAIMED to shoot deer with them in his 30-06 at 300 yards. In MY and my brothers '06's, they were NOT that accurate. Rarely going inside 6" at 100 for 5 shots. We did take turns shooting them at a paper deer target at 200 yds,. Even off the bench and sand bags, using a 9x scope, shots were only marginally accurate. Another guy shot them thru his Browning rifle with slightly better results.Mine is a Rem700, bro's a savage. I would NOT reccommend buying a LOT of them till I KNEW they'd work in my gun.
   This sounds strange, because I use a lot of saboted bullets in my Knight muzzle loader. With the Knight ,I get very good accuracy. This with several different bullets and weights..44 and .45 caliber bullets.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
I worked with them for a long time.  I just could never get them to shoot well enough to use them for anything.  You can make them go fast however.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 03:07:30 PM »
I had a friend that played around with quite a bit. He loaded them in .30-30, .308 and .30-06. He tried them in several different guns and was able to get some great groups out to abt. 75 yrds. After that they would start to open up fast. He said he found 2 guns that would have still made a good groundhog gun at 125 yrds. but behond that he was not able to get a group good enough to kill a groundhog with any of the guns he tried. Had another friend that shot some of the 06 factory ammo with the same results. I have never ever heard anyone say that they made a good 200 yrd. bullet.