Author Topic: Need Opinions on the Hornady Case Trimmer - tired of Wilson case holders  (Read 571 times)

Offline slick00

• Trade Count: (2)
Here’s my problem (and my frustrations).   >:(
I have a LE Wilson case trimmer.  I’m convinced this is a GREAT trimmer for bottle neck cases with some taper (the cases are held nicely and the trimmer cuts very well and true). I have 10 or so shell holders but I have recently started reloading straight wall rifle/pistol cases or rounds that require two shell holders for that particular round (see below). For straight wall cases or cases with little taper, it is more than I want to deal with.  You must buy the expensive Q type holder for pistol rounds ($15 each), or two shell holders (a fired case and new/FL sized shell holder or in other words 2 more holders for each caliber at $9 each).  I just bought the regular 45 Colt holder (non Q type) and read the note inside about “extra effort necessary to use” ……or in other words screw around with holder more than I care too. For those familiar with the Wilson, you know what I mean.  Plus Midway is out of most of the other holders I need or they are listed a special order item (30+ days)……  >:( :(

Anyway, I’m going to keep the Wilson, I just don’t want to invest any more money in the shell holders.  So I’m looking at the Hornady cam lock trimmer.  My math says it is actually cheaper to buy the Hornday than more holders….so does anyone have experience with this trimmer?  What are your thoughts pros/cons with this trimmer.  Specifically, how is the cam lock and does it hold cases well?  Is it easy to use?  No one has this trimmer for sale locally, so I can’t try/look before I buy it. 

Thanks…..sorry for the venting and long post….

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
slick

I have never used the Hornady but it looks OK , myself I use the Forster trimmers , picked up on E-bay cheap . The last one came with 11 pilots and 3 collets for just under $70 shipped , all I need to do is order a power add. for it @ around $15 .

Right now I have 3 set up and think that I have around $110 in all of them , some guys don't like them but I do , good bang for the buck .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
 I have a Wilson & am happy with it. I load mostly bottle neck rifle but have loaded many types of handgun. I really don't think the straight wall handgun brass needs much trimming. You could get the inexpensive Lee trimmers to cover yourself. I use the Lee for some & also use a Wilson holder for whatever will fit in it. Doing it this way I just have to measure more often, like a 22-250 in a 308/243 holder.
NRA, Veteran

Offline slick00

• Trade Count: (2)
Sourdough, I agree...mostly interested in trimming new brass to get a consistent crimp in the larger bore pistol and rounds like 45-70, but really dont want to go with the Lee set-up from what I have seen.  I may consider the Forster ... alot of people seem to like them.