Author Topic: Unfired primer  (Read 392 times)

Offline okielectrician

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Unfired primer
« on: March 03, 2009, 02:23:33 PM »
Took my new BC out to the range a couple of weeks ago with a box of rem 405 19 out of 20 did just fine but theres that one that would not fire,tried three times,left a nice dimple but no boom.
I know i can get a kinetic puller for the removal of the bullet and powder but what about removing the primer.I wouldnt think you would just deprime in the press like normal spent primers.
If this had been addressed before I missed it.
Newbie needs some help. ::)
Thank God for the woods and the critters that inhabit them

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: Unfired primer
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:41:52 PM »
...I wouldnt think you would just deprime in the press like normal spent primers.

I would, I have and I will again.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:50:06 PM »
In 20 years of reloading, I have deprimed many dud primers and have never had any go off.  I did have a friend that was depriming a large batch of fired rounds and had a primer blow.  His was a primed shell that had fallen into his can of fired and tumbled shells, so he didn't look before dropping the handle on the press.  After hearing this; I was a little more careful with depriming dud rounds.  I did have my rotary press put in a primer backwards(my fault loasding it).  I very gently pushed it out with the press, expecting it to go off and nothing happened, there was a very small indention in the primer, but I flipped it over and reprimed the shell and test fired the primered shell with a healthy report. A little care and you should have no problem.  Primers are made to work with a sharp rap.

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:11:41 PM »
I agree with everything .  if ya want to really be sure , drip a drop of hoppes into the casing on the primer....that will kill it for sure, or so I've been told.  Any time I get a primer mix-up....not sure whether its mag or not, I dump them into a little plastic bottle of WD 40.... just being cautious.   regards

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:11:07 AM »
...I wouldnt think you would just deprime in the press like normal spent primers.

I would, I have and I will again.

I've probably not done that more than a couple thousand times. So far never had one go off yet. The ONLY primer detonation I've ever had during reloading was a shotshell primer in a MEC press when a maganum lead shot pellet had fallen into the primer seater without me noticing. Now that got my attention but no harm was done.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:54:18 AM »
I never had a live primer go off when depriming duds or cartridges that wouldn't enter the chamber and had to be resized.  I did have one or 2 primers detonate when priming cases.  I think that they didn't enter the primer pocket and hung up and were squashed against the edge of the pocket.  Just to be safe always wera safety glasses!