Author Topic: Need recommendations  (Read 615 times)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Need recommendations
« on: September 02, 2003, 03:52:47 AM »
Fellas:  This was a terrible weekend - two of my scopes went belly-up on the range and I need recommendations for replacements.

Both failures were my fault.  On an older 303 Brit I had installed a Tasco 3-12x40mm scope that I had laying around for a while.  This scope had been sent back for service once for losing its zero but held up fairly well for a while until this weekend when it completely lost its focus and it was like looking through the bottom of a coke bottle.  On this #4 Mk1, I have one of those no-gunsmithing scope mounts which is rock solid.  This rifle used to carry a Weaver K1.5.  I rarely take a shot beyond 200 yds with this rifle and need something simple, that will keep working for many years to come.  I do not need anything wild (as in largely variable) and a fixed power or low range variable should do nicely.  I was even thinking about a shotgun or pistol scope that would stand up to continued use because I like to shoot this rifle, a lot.  Do any of you folks have any recommendations for a scope for this rifle?  I know Weaver still makes the fixed power K2.5, and that looks like the kind of scope I might prefer, or something in a shotgun scope (without the parallax stuff, just a plain janer) or 'close eye-relief' pistol scope.  Thanks for your recomendations.

I'm looking for something similar for a sporterized 6.5 Swede.  I had outfitted this rifle with a Simmons variable in 50mm and after 15 rounds the dang thing lost its zero.  For a bit I thought it might be the thick crosshairs blocking my ability to get my usual 'snake-eyes' groups with this rifle and ball ammo, but the zero just kept jumping around on me no matter how many times I adjusted it.  This was also my fault, as I paid for the mistake of thinking something with a 50mm lens in 3-9 variable for less than $60 would work worth a darn.  I will take shots to 200 yds with this rifle, or longer on vermit, but would still look to a fixed power or low range variable in a pistol or shotgun scope profile.  Thanks for your recommendations.

On both scopes, I would prefer the duplex crosshairs, as they give me longer range aiming capabilities and don't block the target so badly when trying for good groups.  Thanks again fellas.  Mikey.

Offline C A Plater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • http://tcbunch.com
    • TCBunch.com
Need recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 04:27:22 AM »
The Weaver 2.5 is a pretty good scope.  Made in Japan rather than China or Korea so it should hold up well and are priced economically.  I just picked up a K6 and it seems very nice.  The price was a steal at under $120 so I risked it.  The optics seem very sharp without any "rainbow" edges on things like I see in Chinese made scopes.   I did compare it side by side to some of my other scopes and it did well.  Just a hair less sharp around the edges than the Burris full sized scopes, couldn't tell with the compact models though.  The biggest difference was with the Leupolds but they are Vari-XII and VX-2 models and I expect them to be better and they were.  

Best of luck with your scope quest.

Courtney

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Need recommendations
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 01:12:52 PM »
Quote from: Mikey
I had outfitted this rifle with a Simmons variable in 50mm and after 15 rounds the dang thing lost its zero.  

This was also my fault, as I paid for the mistake of thinking something with a 50mm lens in 3-9 variable for less than $60 would work worth a darn.  Mikey.

Mikey,

I too have seen Simmons, BSA, Tasco, and other similar scopes literally fall apart at the gun ranges.  You are complaining about not holding zero........have you ever seen a scope's reticle's fall out. :eek:

You want good advise?  Okay, I'm not going to tell you to get a Swarovski, Zeiss, Nightforce, or even Elite 4200 (although the Elite 4200 is almost as good as the others for 1/4 the price).  HOWEVER, I will tell you this - GET AN ELITE 3200.

I have one on my .375 H&H and it held zero PERFECTLY!! :-D  Yea, it will cost more than $60, but even you yourself essentially said that you get what you pay for.  Besides, the 3200s are not all that expensive.  You can probably get them for around $200.

Trust me, for around $200 - I ONLY recommend the Elite 3200s. PERIOD.

Zachary

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 03:19:15 AM »
C A and Zachary - thanks guys, I really appreciate all the advice.  I'm going shopping tonight with your advice in mind.  Thanks again.  Mikey.