Author Topic: Modify Seating Stem???  (Read 803 times)

Offline rimfire

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Modify Seating Stem???
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:44 AM »
I am trying to load WFNGC bullets and both of my dies interfere with the bullet.  The REdding Competition die is too narrow and will not even let the bullet in the die at all.  The RCBS standard die I have...even the flattest seating stem they make still contacts the side of the bullet and mars it near the nose before the nose touches the stem at the end.

Essentially I think I need an RCBS seating stem that is perfectly flat on the end.  RCBS wants $20 to cusomize a seationg stem.  That seems rediculous for just a flat stem.

I do not know how to make one myself to the flatness tolerance I would want.  Anyone know where I might find a stem out there that would work.  $20 seems rediculos for a flat stem to me.
Be honest with yourself.  Can you guarantee you would hit a paper plate at 250 yards...100 yards...50 yards?  Then you have no business replacing the plate with a live animal.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Modify Seating Stem???
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 01:16:36 PM »
Just take the stem you have and grind the cup part off. Don't touch anything but the edge, and deburr that when you're done. No problem, easy fix. A flat top punch in your lubrisizer is the way to go for those bullets as well.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:05:55 AM »
You can also use J B weld to customize a seating stem. I've made a few over the years with threaded rod and J B Weld.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:55:45 PM »
When I wrote to Redding complaining of seating marks on the bullets, I wanted a flat punch, but they said they couldn't do that. Instead they could special polish a seating stem and that would solve the problem. Redding sent me a specially polished seating stem for both my 356W and my 40-82WCF . . A couple days later they arrived in the mail - no charges. I have to say I don't get any marks seating 180grWFN's cast from real LBT molds for my 356Win, so I have to say it worked. Truly, I still prefer the concept of grinding the original seating stem flush with the flat of the point. On my lubrisizer, I use the top punch for a 45 when lubing WFN's for 45 and smaller. Nothing touches the side of the bullet....This punch has a real short side on it and works for me. It acts like a flat punch on the smaller calibers. Just one way among many of getting away from the seating marks. Redding has always given me terrific service.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:20:08 AM »
Like Flash said try J.B. Weld.  Spray silicone in the die and on a dummy round (do NOT get any on the face of the seating plug).  Put a dab of well mixed JBW in the cup of the seating stem.  Raise dummy round in ram until it lightly contacts the seating stem and let cure.  Now you have a custome formed seating stem that won't distort the bullets when seating.
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 06:21:49 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The JB weld solution sounds good.

I however, have taken the "top Punch" from my sizer/luber, chucked it in a drill and with the help of my Drumel tool have reshaped the top punch.

The drill spinning and the Drumel tool seems to work well, but you do need a light touch.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag