Author Topic: Full Length - Partial - Neck Resizing  (Read 712 times)

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Full Length - Partial - Neck Resizing
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »
After reading several reloading books, I'm still confused on this step of the reloading process.
I have all of my reloading hardware and componets ready to start to reload except for dies.
I'm still in a quandry and not made up my mind on dies.
(I plan on loading 357mag - 308win for the Handi rifle only at this point until I'm comfortable)
Full Length, Partial, Neck Resizing
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but thought I'd ask for support.
FL sizing
My take is F/L is for sizing new brass and for using the reloaded rounds in mulitpul weapons.
Neck sizing
Best for preserving the life of brass to over F/L sizing. For brass that was fire formed and the reloaded rounds will only be used in that same weapon.
Partial sizing
I'm not sure I want to attempt this until I get the first two down pat, as it seems it entails adjusting the die or using spacers to set the shoulder back and only size part of the overall length of the brass.
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Full Length - Partial - Neck Resizing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »
I think you have a good grasp of the situation. I would think for the 357, you would full length size every time. When you purchase your dies, get a set that has a carbide sizer. You will not regret getting it. you do not have to lube your cases to re-size when using carbide, you will if you use a regular sizing die. For the 308, it would depend on your gun and how "hot" you load whether to partial size or neck size. Some Handis can get by fine with neck sizing only (if you have light loads) and some need to to be partially re-sized every time. Of course if you fully re-size every time, you will avoid problems altogether. Partially resizing is not difficult, you just have to make adjustments to the die in small increments until you get it just right. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:50:21 AM »
I guess you could partical size .357 cases, but I`ve never heard of anuone doing it. As for the .308 in the Handy Rifle you may have to bump the shoulder back quite often, especially if you shoot hot loads. If your rifle has a large chamber I would recomand neck sizeing. If you don`t have to size the body of the case much it won`t matter much whether you neck size or FL size.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:04:04 AM »
You full length resize handgun brass. Neck sizing (NS) can extend the life of brass but it depends on several factors so it may or may not help there. Full length (FL) resizing gives the most reliable chambering ammo. Partial full length (PFL) resizing means not setting the shoulder back but squeezing the case walls and neck down. The main reason to do PFL resizning is your chamber length is on the long side of spec and adjusting your FL sizing die to do FL resizing pushes the shoulder back too far causing case head separations. To PFL resize I smoke the neck area of fired brass and with the FL die set out too far to set the shoulder back I resize a case and start turning the die in until the soot is wiped off the neck down to just above the shoulder. Belted magnum brass, .303 British brass, and brass fired in a long chamber can benefit from PFL resizing.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:52:26 PM »
I use full length resizing for all straightwall cases and buy carbide dies (these are mostly handgun).

I use full length resizing for my main hunting rifle, a Browning semi auto.

I use neck sizing for all rounds that I shoot in a Bolt, Contender, and Handis (if I can get a Lee Collet die for them).

I use partial resizing for 7-30 in my contender because I am too cheap to have Lee make me a custom collet die for it (last I checked about $60).

JMHO, good luck,

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 07:39:19 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I'm going to need to play around and maybe get someone to show me first hand when I get set up. -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 03:09:02 AM »
You full length re-size handgun brass. Neck sizing (NS) can extend the life of brass but it depends on several factors so it may or may not help there. Full length (FL) resizing gives the most reliable cambering ammo. Partial full length (PFL) resizing means not setting the shoulder back but squeezing the case walls and neck down. The main reason to do PFL resizing is your chamber length is on the long side of spec and adjusting your FL sizing die to do FL resizing pushes the shoulder back too far causing case head separations. To PFL re-size I smoke the neck area of fired brass and with the FL die set out too far to set the shoulder back I re-size a case and start turning the die in until the soot is wiped off the neck down to just above the shoulder. Belted magnum brass, .303 British brass, and brass fired in a long chamber can benefit from PFL resizing.

I agree with Dave 100%!! Well said.  ;D

On lighter loads, in like cartridges under 40,000cup I LIKE to Partial FL Size. FL sizing will "work" your brass a bit more in a good chamber. But for the averge hand loader it simply will not matter.

BTW, If your using a FL sizing die to neck size, your really partial resizing. REAL neck sizing is only done with a neck sizing die. I think everyone knows I am not a fan of LEE products as a whole. But I DO LIKE there Collet Neck sizing dies! Personally, I do not think true neck sizing has a place when loading for a Handi rifle. I generally only neck size for my bolt guns.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Wayne123

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 03:26:42 AM »
Personally, I do not think true neck sizing has a place when loading for a Handi rifle. I generally only neck size for my bolt guns.

CW
[/quote]

Why do you not like neck sizing for a handi?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 03:38:48 AM »
Why do you not like neck sizing for a handi?

As you likely know, neck sizing is a bottle neck cartridge thing. Most bottleneck cartridges operate at above 45,000 cup. The basis for neck sizing is to not overwork the brass and have a more accurate "base" to launch the bullet from. Meaning the case will be better fit to its chamber. At these pressures there is quite a bit of "flex or stretch" in the handi action. That the case grows upon firing. So you do not have a stable base from witch to neck size only. After one to three firings (and only neck sizing)the case will no longer fit in the gun.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 05:29:04 PM »
cwlongshot writes:
"At these pressures there is quite a bit of "flex or stretch" in the handi action. That the case grows upon firing. So you do not have a stable base from witch to neck size only. After one to three firings (and only neck sizing)the case will no longer fit in the gun."

This is a good point, the Handi is not a real strong action. I have not noticed a problem with .243 and .204 Ruger. My only other Handi barrel is a .500 S&W which (as a straight case) I full length resize.

Perhaps the lower recoil fom these rounds is not enough to flex the action.

Anyone else have a problem with neck sizing Handi rounds?

(maybe this should go to the Handi forum)

mike

Mike Ellestad