Author Topic: Excel Auto  (Read 374 times)

Offline badshotlal

• Trade Count: (0)
Excel Auto
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:30:23 AM »
Good day to everyone, ;D

My question is simple, I hope.  Has anyone had an issue with point-of-aim with the Excel 12 bore?  From a dead rest, and honestly have tried only buckshot, it's not even close.  I can't imagine how vastly improved it would have to be to group standard bird shot i.e. 4's. 5's, 8's, etc.
  Would appreciate any and all input.  Hope you have a great week-end.  I know it's way too warm in Ks. for March -- hard freeze is coming and plants are gonna die :(

God Bless

badshotlal

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Excel Auto
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:47:24 AM »
you may wish to do the old point and shoot test . get a 48" X 48" piece of white paper . put an aiming point in the middle say a 4 inch circle of a different color . bring the gun up to your shoulder while sighting down the bbl. as your shoulder moves into the stock fire . repete until you see where the center of the pattern shows up ( the ragged hole ) . where is it in relation to the target you aimed at ? don't adjust on each of the test shots . you now know where the gun shoots in relation to where you are looking . Often this allows you to see how to adjust how you mount the gun and center the pattern over the target . Remember the rear sight is your eye . the front sight is often not seen . Some get a mid rib bead to help see if they are looking down the center of the bbl or across it from one side or the other . Remember shooting a shotgun is an art .
the amount of pressure you put on the gun with your cheek ( it is touching right ) or how heavy you grip with your hands or foot placement all contribute to hitting the target . On other silly thing you can do is get the gun where you can get the light so it looks like a line down the bbl the reflection and see if it is stright with the bbl . If the bbl is bent it will show .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 12:26:58 PM »
shootall, I thought I was the only crazy person who used that reflection method.  Guess I'm in good company.  ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline badshotlal

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »
Hello Shootall ;D

Thanks so much for the lengthly reply.  Excellent thought, but finding a 48" square piece of paper is darn near impossible.  I have a very old, as in 1960 sometime,  roll of paper that I special ordered from Miller Printers, in Gt. Bend, Ks.,.  My plan was to find the perfect load for a new Ithacca Model 280 , 20 bore. 
  Well, it is, or was, still in its' original paper until a few weeks ago.  Started tearing some sheets off to fit a target board I built.  They are 42" X ?? -- can't remember the other dimension.  Sr. moment ::)
  May have to go to something like an old washer or dryer box, but they, too, are hard to find before someone beats you to it.
  Bottom line, your idea I was aware of, but not in the context you presented.  Thanks so much for your time.  Hope you and yours are well, and enjoy a nice week-end!

God Bless

badshotlal

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:04:01 AM »
i often use a couple sheets of news paper taped togather and paint it white . Some clubs have a pattern board ( steel plate ) and paint it . For backing if thin paper is used fence wire , chicken wire or such works and cost little .
Hope you get it shooting where you want it to hit . I shot winchesters for a long time and have a hard time with 1100's , Brownings work ok as do SKB . and i do ok with an 870 . but an 1100 i have to go to the board every time or i have no idea where i'm shooting . I know the 1100 and 870 are almost the same . got to be mental right ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !