Author Topic: small pistol primers in a 223  (Read 467 times)

Offline mike4

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
small pistol primers in a 223
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:45:15 AM »
i am unable to find any small rifle primers and was wondering if i could substitute magnum small pistol primers for small rifle primers in a 223 using varget powder. thanks

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: small pistol primers in a 223
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:58:02 AM »
you might cause slam fires as rifle primers are thicker and take more of a hit to set off . also .556 primers are military primers and harder to set off than rifle primers and made that way to stop slam fires . One of the differences in .223 rem ans .556 rounds . And the power level may be different . You may also experince ruptured primers in bolt guns .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:03:39 AM »
I have a similar problem.  I have some large primers in a contaner that I forgot if they were large magnum pistol or large rifle.  Can they be used in a rifle if only in a lever or bolt gun for .308 if they are pistol?  Or if they are rifle, can they be used for pistol?  I'm almost 99% sure they are large rifle though.

Offline mike4

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:06:15 AM »
this will be in a nef handi rifle so slam fires would not be a problem do you think they would rupture that would be a problem

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »
might , if you try then start with the lowest load listed , but i would not try it , why risk injury to you or the gun ?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:10:20 AM »
compare the color of the mixture and type anvil in the unknown to some you know what they are .
remember the first warning you heard/read when you started reloading don't mix or subsitute componets !

Offline mike4

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 11:18:25 AM »
ok i wont tempt it will just waite till i can find some rifle primers thank you for your responses

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:22:50 AM »
I understand your frustration. Primers along with other some other reloading components are getting very difficult to purchase. Especially 223 and 308 components. The new Prez scare has got people hoarding large quantities of these components. I have not checked in the last couple of weeks, but cases for those rounds are also difficult to get; the last I knew. Personally, I bought a large quantity (for me) of primers last fall. They were getting hard to get then. I could not find any locally and had to order on line and swallow the Haz-Mat fee. It was blamed on the war effort at that time.

Not only are the primers different in primer mix; t is my understanding that small pistol primers have thinner cups than small rifle primers. In general pistol cases do not see as much pressure as rifle cases do. In some of the newer - high pressure pistol cases like the 357 Maximum; small rifle primers are recommended because of the higher than normal pressures for a pistol case are used. I would think that you would surely get ruptured primers if you approach any thing close to working 223 pressures. If you cut back the powder loads to reduce pressures you might get by with the small pistol primers. If that is what you decide to do, be careful about what powders you are using. Some powders can be cut back to lower pressures OK, but others should not be used below recommended (listed) levels. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 12:11:50 AM »
DO NOT use pistol primers in rifles. Ive fooled with it some and even with light loads have pierced primers before
blue lives matter