Author Topic: Reloading Newbie  (Read 365 times)

Offline Biohazard Monk

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Reloading Newbie
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:18:49 AM »
Hey guys,

I am getting the itch to start reloading my own ammo, so I can tweek and find the perfect loads to shoot.  Nothing too fancy to start, mainly 300wing mag, .308win, 7mm Mag, and probably some pistol 9mm and 45acp.

Any suggestions on where to start, in my own research I am thinking of getting the RCBS rock chucker supreme master kit.  Any pro's or con's? 

Please remember that I don't need mass quanities of reloaded ammo to begin with so a single stage press would do the job just fine.

Thanks for the info!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Reloading Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:41:55 AM »
I am thinking - you are thinking along the right lines. I have an old Rock Chucker that I am still using. For my needs I do not need a turret or progressive press. You get a reloading manual along in the kit, but buy at least one more, but 2 - 3 more would not hurt. Get your kit, read the reloading manuals, particularly the reloading sections. You can decide if you want to add any thing else to your "kit" and it will give you an idea where to start. after doing a few reloading sessions, you can make up your mind if you again want to add any equipment. Start with a pistol case for your first reloading "test". After you get comfortable with it, you can branch out into the rifle cases.

BTW - there is good reading at the top of this section too - Good Luck and Good Shooting.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:54:27 AM »
+1 on reading the stickys at the top of this forum, that's what they're there for.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 10:47:56 AM »
Books! Some reloading manuals are in order. I'd suggest Lyman 49th edition Handbook, ABCs of Reloading, Modern Reloading by R. Lee. These will get you informed enough to set up your first reloading system. When you're up and running I'd add one or two manuals from bullet manufacturers, one or two manuals from powder manufacturers, and a "neutral" like Lyman's or Lee's. And of course read the stickies.

I agree with starting with a single stage press. You will learn the "why" (theory) of each step, and changing/adjusting dies will show how die adjustments effect the finished round.

Reloading is a very rewarding part of our hobby and besides, it's fun

Go slow, be safe, and enjoy!

Offline Biohazard Monk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »
My bad quickdtoo!

I guess I posted to quick, I completely missed that great thread!

BTW: I was just in the local gun shop, they had a RCBS partner press reloading kit for around $189.99, is that a good price or should I forget that one?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Biohazard Monk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
Thanks for the links, I am trying to decide between the partner press kit(cheaper) or the rock chucker kit. Both from RCBS

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 07:53:12 PM »
Midsouth has about as good a price as you'll find on the Rockchucker Supreme kit.  ;)

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 01:08:03 AM »
Have you thought about used/experienced stuff?

IMHO, as you step up to the better kits they really get expensive. If you do your research and know what you need, the bigger ticket items are available online and at local stores for a fraction of the cost of new. Just a thought... I have been thru this a couple times and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy new across the board. Somethings its a good idea to buy new like the scale and maybe powder measure, but the press itself, find a good one used and grab it. You get a better built machine for way less then new. As long as your getting a good name and it say minor upkeep, it will load for many many generations of loaders with no problems.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.